IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Lexus IS250 4GR-FSE Engine Carbon Build-up (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-12, 11:21 AM
CypressIS
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sallydrive
Okay, I'm having these rough idle problems on my IS250, but i have no misfires or code, just a rough idle and sometimes a shaky car like it's about to die.

I've told my dealer (Sterling McCall Lexus (Houston TX)) about it, and they refuse to do anything because there no codes and they cannot "duplicate" anything.

I know i have this problem because i am the daily driver of the car, how are they going to argue that?, but they sill refuse.

What Should I do?
Dang this really chaps me. Your account sounds like the exact same treatment I received from Westside Lexus. I had planned to contact Sterling McCall to see if they would be willing to remedy this but clearly now that will be a dead end too.
Call corporate and file a complaint. This accomplished nothing for me, but at this point I have to keep hoping that there's some safety in numbers.
Old 02-17-12, 02:28 PM
J3ffrey
Intermediate

Originally Posted by sallydrive
Okay, I'm having these rough idle problems on my IS250, but i have no misfires or code, just a rough idle and sometimes a shaky car like it's about to die.

I've told my dealer (Sterling McCall Lexus (Houston TX)) about it, and they refuse to do anything because there no codes and they cannot "duplicate" anything.

I know i have this problem because i am the daily driver of the car, how are they going to argue that?, but they sill refuse.

What Should I do?
Originally Posted by CypressIS
Dang this really chaps me. Your account sounds like the exact same treatment I received from Westside Lexus. I had planned to contact Sterling McCall to see if they would be willing to remedy this but clearly now that will be a dead end too.
Call corporate and file a complaint. This accomplished nothing for me, but at this point I have to keep hoping that there's some safety in numbers.
My advice to you is call another dealership .. mine just called me and said that the engine needs the work but he has 3 cars in for the same issue, parts are backordered but should be in mid week.

I have a 2012 ES with 400 mile on it till at least Friday!! Woohoo
Old 02-18-12, 09:34 AM
flipmode
Rookie

Guys, I'm no engineer or mechanic so pls don't shoot me. I was just thinking about those little rice boy crankcase breather filters (the ones that look like mini cone filters), and how they are supposed to catch the blow-by oil,gas,gunk instead of them being recirculated into the intake tract. Wouldn't putting one on be a "solution" to the carbon-build up issue, albeit a dirty and illegal one? Thanks for any input.
Old 02-19-12, 11:33 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,845 Likes on 2,332 Posts

No, it would promote oil contamination because you would not be pulling fresh air through the engine's crankcase. So you'd have the normal blow-by acid build up and water condensation sitting on top of your oil and killing it quickly because it isn't being sucked out and burned by the PCV system.

PCV isn't just for pollution control, it really is very beneficial for a lot of reasons.
Old 02-19-12, 11:36 AM
MIA_LEX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by J3ffrey
How is your car running?
my cars been running great.. Very happy with what my dealership did for me. I feel like every dealership is different. People having problems with theirs should look into other dealerships hopefully nearby..
Old 02-21-12, 11:46 AM
domnf15
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default IS250 Rough Idle

I realize I'm bumping an older thread but I have a similar issue on my 2006 IS250. When the car is in park or neutral it runs very smooth but when in Drive and stopped (like at a light) the idle seems rough and occasionally the RPMs briefly drop like a misfire, although it doesn't throw a code. Is the fix as simple as a few bottles of fuel system cleaner? I have read on other forums that the top of the engine needs to be cleaned, and yet others say a bottle of "Seafoam" will do the trick, any advice?
Old 02-21-12, 05:21 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by domnf15
I realize I'm bumping an older thread but I have a similar issue on my 2006 IS250. When the car is in park or neutral it runs very smooth but when in Drive and stopped (like at a light) the idle seems rough and occasionally the RPMs briefly drop like a misfire, although it doesn't throw a code. Is the fix as simple as a few bottles of fuel system cleaner? I have read on other forums that the top of the engine needs to be cleaned, and yet others say a bottle of "Seafoam" will do the trick, any advice?
Yes, a top engine clean should fix your problem. You can try Seafoam and see if that does anything, but don't bother with fuel system cleaner - because of the direct injection design, it won't do a thing.
Old 02-22-12, 06:20 AM
Thinktwice
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by KillaIS250
Yes, a top engine clean should fix your problem. You can try Seafoam and see if that does anything, but don't bother with fuel system cleaner - because of the direct injection design, it won't do a thing.
I wish I could say a top engine clean fixed it for me. I had one done by my dealership a little less than a year ago and about 6 months later I started to get the intermittent hesitations at stop lights again.
Old 02-22-12, 07:18 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

The top engine clean does not fix the problem.

It simply makes it go away for a while.

The problem is carbon buildup.

Cleaning the engine removes what has already built up, it does not prevent future buildup.
Old 02-22-12, 07:28 AM
fewslowcar
Driver School Candidate

Like mentioned earlier in this thread the permanent solution would be ECU reprogramming to occasionally run the cold start injector to clean the carbon build up on the intake valves.

It seems like carbon build up is a non issue for folks with cold weather starts where that seventh cold start injector is turned on and sprays the fuel into the intake track and washes off the carbon build up.
Old 02-22-12, 10:02 AM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

Received 584 Likes on 393 Posts

The piston/piston ring TSB was just released in Canada for the IS250, in case anyone was interested up here.

Jeff

Last edited by Jeff Lange; 02-22-12 at 10:08 AM.
Old 02-22-12, 12:35 PM
autox250
Driver

The 7th injector is never going to be programmed that way. Port injection sprays the valves directly, you cant have a small single injector upstream of the runners trying to prevent carbon build up. The point for direct injection is 'precise' control over mixture adding a 7th injector is counter productive to emission & efficiency goals
Old 02-22-12, 12:57 PM
richf
Rookie

I got the piston ring TSB completed — it didn't solve the problem for me. When coming to a stop — occasionally, the car will shake as if it's going to stall.
Old 02-22-12, 01:20 PM
autox250
Driver

Much if the idle problem is also associated to a gunky throttle plate.. Clean it yourself @ home and do the relearn drive. That should help you ALOT
Old 02-22-12, 01:43 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 257 Posts

2008 IS250, 45000 miles, about to go out of 4 year limited warranty. Had a very slight rattling noise under light acceleration from cold (never really went away but got less when the engine was hot). Didn't have a significant hot idle problem and the car never misfired or threw a code.

Dealer called today and they are going to do the piston ring fix. I was a bit leery of this as the noise was minimal but they said it would only get worse. Will post when I get the car back.

Quick Reply: Lexus IS250 4GR-FSE Engine Carbon Build-up (merged threads)