IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Lexus IS250 4GR-FSE Engine Carbon Build-up (merged threads)

Old 04-27-10, 09:50 PM
new.era.13
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I go WOT when i hop onto the freeway
Old 04-28-10, 12:27 PM
ajfinoak
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have brought my 08 250 with 19K miles in 3X for the vibration at idle in D after warm up. They have checked the fuel, did a top engine cleaning, tightened mounts and more and it is STILL doing it unless I have the A/C or headlights on when idle kicks up. Last time it was in Lexus corporate told them it was "normal" and would not authorize further work. I am VERY disappointed in Lexus- this is my 2nd Lexus after 3 Toyotas and 3 Acuras and have never had an issue like this. I would not recc buying this car to anyone until they resolve the carbon build up and idle issues. What will happen when we are all off warranty?
Old 04-28-10, 01:59 PM
someboy
Lexus Test Driver

you should feel special owning a special car =D
Old 04-28-10, 03:11 PM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by kuuqi
...I usually give it a WOT run 4-5 times a week for about 5-10 minutes...
haha... wow if went WOT for 5-10min i'll cause a serious accident or i'd drive right off the island hell i'd run out of road in 2min at WOT...

As for this carbon build up thing, i've used ZMax since day one i brought the car home from the stealership, i have no rough idle n nothing of that nature... I really dont care what others might say about oil additives but im a firm believer in this product (from past exp). ZMax FTW!!!
Old 04-28-10, 03:14 PM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by ajfinoak
I have brought my 08 250 with 19K miles in 3X for the vibration at idle in D after warm up. They have checked the fuel, did a top engine cleaning, tightened mounts and more and it is STILL doing it unless I have the A/C or headlights on when idle kicks up. Last time it was in Lexus corporate told them it was "normal" and would not authorize further work. I am VERY disappointed in Lexus- this is my 2nd Lexus after 3 Toyotas and 3 Acuras and have never had an issue like this. I would not recc buying this car to anyone until they resolve the carbon build up and idle issues. What will happen when we are all off warranty?
i don't know, maybe start paying for repairs out of your own pockets?

seriously, though, if you're going to base your opinion of lexus vehicles on the fact that your local lexus dealership and lexus corporate won't entertain your request to perform unnecessary work on your 2is, it's a sign that your sound judgment is being clouded by a false sense of entitlement.

/OT

my guess for the carbon build-up is due to the 2is running rich to prevent detonation due to the high compression ratio, but that's just a guess.
Old 04-28-10, 03:27 PM
2slow
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Gas companies are required to add a certain percentage of additives to their gas to reduce carbon build up. Shell and Chevron add about 2-3x the minimum.

Before i pumped 76, but now i switched to chevron w/ techron for this specific reason..carbon build up.

I have no idea how my valves and piston heads look like as of right now (50xxx miles), but i'll probably take apart my engine around 100k and take a peak.
Old 04-28-10, 03:29 PM
ajfinoak
Driver

Originally Posted by projectdna
i don't know, maybe start paying for repairs out of your own pockets?

seriously, though, if you're going to base your opinion of lexus vehicles on the fact that your local lexus dealership and lexus corporate won't entertain your request to perform unnecessary work on your 2is, it's a sign that your sound judgment is being clouded by a false sense of entitlement.

/OT

my guess for the carbon build-up is due to the 2is running rich to prevent detonation due to the high compression ratio, but that's just a guess.
I don't believe that I or others experiencing this problem are "clouded by a false sense of entitlement". Most recently Lexus kept the car for a week and worked on it and then after I took it home and it had the same problem, it is now "normal". I don't think a newer $38K Lexus should idle like a 10 year old Kia.
Old 04-28-10, 03:54 PM
98023IS250
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

infrequent rough idle on my 07 IS250 AWD. Sometimes, when I am stopped, I notice the car shudder slightly and then it goes away.
The following users liked this post:
Fuzzydt99 (05-17-22)
Old 04-28-10, 05:11 PM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by ajfinoak
I don't believe that I or others experiencing this problem are "clouded by a false sense of entitlement". Most recently Lexus kept the car for a week and worked on it and then after I took it home and it had the same problem, it is now "normal". I don't think a newer $38K Lexus should idle like a 10 year old Kia.
why not? i've experienced normal, even idling from 10 year-old kia's. /OT

while i'm not intimately aware of your issues, i'm not sure that your rough idle issues are a result of carbon build-up. that is, unless you have definitive evidence to prove otherwise, in which case i stand corrected.

the fact that your local lexus dealership and lexus corporate will no longer address your issues leads me to conclude that they were not able to duplicate and diagnose your issues and perform repairs on them. my understanding is that lexus dealerships will not address issues that they can not duplicate and/or not visible from inspection.

does that mean that you don't have a problem? again, i'm not intimately aware of your issues, so i can't say whether you do or don't. however, if the lexus dealership and/or lexus corporate will no longer address your issue, based on what i've already said in this post i wonder if it's your perspective and expectations of owning a lexus vehicle. if you expect lexus dealerships and/or lexus corporate to address your "issues" w/ your 2is, that's a pretty obvious display of your false sense of entitlement, isn't it?

(btw, your false sense of entitlement is in regards to your expectation of your local lexus dealership and/or lexus corporate to bend over backwards at your request to remedy what they consider a non-issue, not at the "problem" itself - if that.)

on a related note, you'd be surprised at 2is owners substituting a false sense of entitlement in place of critical thinking and sound judgment.

/wall o' text
Old 04-28-10, 05:39 PM
ajfinoak
Driver

Originally Posted by projectdna
why not? i've experienced normal, even idling from 10 year-old kia's. /OT

while i'm not intimately aware of your issues, i'm not sure that your rough idle issues are a result of carbon build-up. that is, unless you have definitive evidence to prove otherwise, in which case i stand corrected.

the fact that your local lexus dealership and lexus corporate will no longer address your issues leads me to conclude that they were not able to duplicate and diagnose your issues and perform repairs on them. my understanding is that lexus dealerships will not address issues that they can not duplicate and/or not visible from inspection.

does that mean that you don't have a problem? again, i'm not intimately aware of your issues, so i can't say whether you do or don't. however, if the lexus dealership and/or lexus corporate will no longer address your issue, based on what i've already said in this post i wonder if it's your perspective and expectations of owning a lexus vehicle. if you expect lexus dealerships and/or lexus corporate to address your "issues" w/ your 2is, that's a pretty obvious display of your false sense of entitlement, isn't it?

(btw, your false sense of entitlement is in regards to your expectation of your local lexus dealership and/or lexus corporate to bend over backwards at your request to remedy what they consider a non-issue, not at the "problem" itself - if that.)

on a related note, you'd be surprised at 2is owners substituting a false sense of entitlement in place of critical thinking and sound judgment.

/wall o' text
I apologize if I was not clear that Lexus DID witness the problem with the idle and they did try to fix it for a week and then decided it was "normal" when it was still evidencing the same issue. Obviously, they would not have spent a week trying to fix something they did not witness and would not expect them to do that. They have been able to witness it but not repair it. Why is it happening to my car and others? Why are these cars (not just mine) having problems with carbon buildup at low mileage (yes, they repaired my car for this). That is for Lexus to figure out. Clearly neither I nor the various people posting here do not consider this to be a "non-issue". Having a new "luxury" car (or even a new Kia) idle smoothly does not seem unreasonable to me.
Old 04-28-10, 05:55 PM
shui3000
Pole Position

someone answer my question. does our car have a brake booster line that feeds into the intake?
Old 04-29-10, 05:48 AM
is250gurl
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 98023IS250
infrequent rough idle on my 07 IS250 AWD. Sometimes, when I am stopped, I notice the car shudder slightly and then it goes away.
i too have had this happen at least 6 times since around 20k and i'm at 45k now. feels like it's going to die and then comes back up....shudders and shakes. the dealer have looked for codes, but found nothing and then suggested a throttle body cleaning and fuel injector cleaner which i thought was a bit early. at least it's documented i guess in case i have more problems down the road. i also talked to the higher up techs and they hadn't heard anything about it, but saw all the info on my account. thinking the extended warranty may be a good idea afterall.
Old 04-29-10, 07:37 AM
is150
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

is this problem only with the is250, or is this also a problem with the is350?
Old 04-29-10, 08:06 AM
gsrthomas
Lexus Champion

Does the IS350 have both direct and port injection so we do not see the carbon build up on them? Does that mean the IS350 have 12 injectors? 2 for each cylinder?
Old 04-29-10, 09:25 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by gsrthomas
Does the IS350 have both direct and port injection so we do not see the carbon build up on them? Does that mean the IS350 have 12 injectors? 2 for each cylinder?
Yes, the 350 has 12 injectors, 6 port and 6 direct

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Lexus IS250 4GR-FSE Engine Carbon Build-up (merged threads)