IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Lexus IS250 4GR-FSE Engine Carbon Build-up (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-15, 02:43 PM
355F1
Racer

Received 596 Likes on 382 Posts

Originally Posted by tomiv9
So carbon buildup will be much less, no engine rebuild recall. If it does become a problem u just do a top engine clean, which is common for a lot of Direct injection cars.
What does this cost at a dealer vs. indy?
Old 08-06-15, 09:21 AM
250user
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by UDel
85 pages long so far for this serious problem. I feel bad for 250 owners having to deal with this.

Does this issue only affect the 2nd Gen IS250 or does it also affect the 3rd Gen IS250. If it does not affect the 3rd Gen IS250 what did they do to the engine design to eliminate or solve the problem. I know someone interested in a 2nd Gen IS250 and possibly a 3rd Gen but I was not sure what to tell them about the 3rd Gen IS250 with the carbon buildup.
Well I have a 2007 IS250. Do I have any chance of getting Lexus to fix this issue?

I've told them about my idling issues and engine failure several times but they always make up excuses as to what the problem is.

My engine failed on me August 4th. I had the vehicle towed to the dealership. They did their tests found nothing/no codes. They told me they couldn't run misfire/engine tests until the water pump was fixed because it was leaking.

I didn't want to pay Lexus for any services so I'm getting everything fixed (water pump, drive belt) at a local mechanic (costing me $680).

Should I take it to Lexus and ask them to test for the engine misfiring? Not sure what to do since they just keep making excuses.

Next excuse I know they will probably give me is that the engine was damage because it was running with no coolant. But I know my engine didn't over heat because the temp was fine the whole time.

Last edited by 250user; 08-06-15 at 09:23 AM. Reason: specifying the year of my vehicle
Old 09-12-15, 10:15 AM
autox250
Driver

Originally Posted by firelikeiy
Thank you for the response. I guess I better get this looked at ASAP. How hard is it to change them out your self? I have minimal mechanical experience. The biggest job I have done is replace the valve stem seals on a Toyota 2.4l 4cyl... I imagine this requires roughly the same amount of work? Is there a special tool needed for the cam gear to lock them in place before install or something like that?
You def dont want to try it with minimal expirience... The chain tensioner has to be locked back, the timing chain needs to be put back perfectly, the rockers on the lifters sometime times can fall off easily or get croocked installing the cam, the oil line banjo bolts can easily cross thread and the fuel pump on the P/S head has to be carefully removed. All in all the job according to lexus takes ~6 hrs. It can be done in less time but theres too many points along the way where experience and careful are a must.....
Old 09-12-15, 10:32 AM
autox250
Driver

Originally Posted by 250user
Well I have a 2007 IS250. Do I have any chance of getting Lexus to fix this issue?

I've told them about my idling issues and engine failure several times but they always make up excuses as to what the problem is.

My engine failed on me August 4th. I had the vehicle towed to the dealership. They did their tests found nothing/no codes. They told me they couldn't run misfire/engine tests until the water pump was fixed because it was leaking.

I didn't want to pay Lexus for any services so I'm getting everything fixed (water pump, drive belt) at a local mechanic (costing me $680).

Should I take it to Lexus and ask them to test for the engine misfiring? Not sure what to do since they just keep making excuses.

Next excuse I know they will probably give me is that the engine was damage because it was running with no coolant. But I know my engine didn't over heat because the temp was fine the whole time.
Hey the campaign is for 9 years from the day the car was put in service. With an 07 you should prob be still in, PM me your vin number I can shed some light into it for you..
Old 09-12-15, 10:35 AM
autox250
Driver

Mid 10's and up had revisions. The 250 will no longer be available as of 2016. Its going to be the 2.0 turbo and the is350s direct n port for both IS300 & IS350.
Old 09-14-15, 05:17 AM
lextek475
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 250user

Temp gauge is not a good indication of overheat. If the engine has lost enough coolant the "coolant temp sensor" only reads coolant temp not air temp. So it will not work if there is no coolant in the engine block
Old 11-18-15, 07:13 AM
EDU
Driver School Candidate

good thread, I had a rough idle for a while once but no codes, car runs fine now.
Old 12-15-15, 07:08 PM
sptrakesh
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by autox250
Hey the campaign is for 9 years from the day the car was put in service. With an 07 you should prob be still in, PM me your vin number I can shed some light into it for you..
My car seems to have developed this problem. Rough idle once warmed up. Error P0303 always comes up. As per carfax, car was manufactured on 08/09/2006 and delivered to dealer on 09/01/2006. First sold on 04/21/2007. Does that mean I have till April 2016 to get the engine fixed by the recall?

Thanks
Rakesh
Old 12-16-15, 09:58 AM
bionictony
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

what i don't get is how do piston rings affect carbon build up. i could see changing the piston shape or something else but it seems like an indirect part to me.
Old 12-23-15, 11:18 AM
autox250
Driver

Originally Posted by sptrakesh
My car seems to have developed this problem. Rough idle once warmed up. Error P0303 always comes up. As per carfax, car was manufactured on 08/09/2006 and delivered to dealer on 09/01/2006. First sold on 04/21/2007. Does that mean I have till April 2016 to get the engine fixed by the recall?

Thanks
Rakesh
Yea 4/21/07 was your in service date, you go by that. Yours would be 4/21/16
Old 12-23-15, 11:24 AM
autox250
Driver

Originally Posted by bionictony
what i don't get is how do piston rings affect carbon build up. i could see changing the piston shape or something else but it seems like an indirect part to me.
Piston rings are very directly related. Low tension rings allow excess combustion gases to pass down into the block, later along with oil vapors those gases recirculate thru the PCV and down the intake manifold past the valves.. Higher tension rings and revised pistons reduce the blow by, reducing PCV flow.
Old 12-23-15, 12:01 PM
panda327
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Has anyone's engine ever died because of the carbon build up? or is it mostly just stuttering and poor gas mileage? How long can the engine last if Lexus decides to not clean it up for me?
Old 12-30-15, 06:40 AM
autox250
Driver

Originally Posted by panda327
Has anyone's engine ever died because of the carbon build up? or is it mostly just stuttering and poor gas mileage? How long can the engine last if Lexus decides to not clean it up for me?
The worst case would be that it would stall, but thats almost unheard of bc all cylinders dont misfire at the same time. U might have at most 1 or 2. It will run rough but not quit.
The engine can last, its not a wear issue its a driveability issue. There are things you can do, some ppl here have tried seafoam in the intake etc.
Audi does some procedure where they blast wallnut shells at the top of the valves..
Ive put on a set Megan racing exhaust manifold that have no cats, and ran washer fluid like meth injection through the intake at 4000 RPM. I have the pictures after posted here earlier on. It was spotless afterwards hasnt missed since.
This is a more delicate approach because if you haven't done it before, there's a small chance he could Hydro lock in the engine
Old 12-30-15, 06:45 AM
autox250
Driver

Originally Posted by panda327
Its 9 years unlimited miles from the day it was put in service.
Old 01-12-16, 02:44 PM
adpock
Pole Position

Default How To Tuesday

Here's some more helpful info...
https://www.clublexus.com/how-tos/a/...mize-it-367282

Quick Reply: Lexus IS250 4GR-FSE Engine Carbon Build-up (merged threads)