IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Lexus IS250 4GR-FSE Engine Carbon Build-up (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-14, 06:45 AM
heyarms
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by toony15333
I heard that we could installed a oil catch can to prevent carbon build up issue?
I dont know if it will prevent it completely, but it seems it will at least slow down the build up tremendously, judging by the Oil Catch Can experiement thread.

I still need to install my Mishimoto can this week.

Originally Posted by jetboy
Not an option. The EGR system is contained within the heads. There's no external EGR hose to put a catch can on. The best method of dealing with carbon build up is to run fuel with detergent over the intake valves once in a while.
Not sure of validity of this statement? Lots have installed an OCC and from what I've gathered educationally from OCC's, it seems they will do a great job combating large buildups.
Old 02-11-14, 08:19 AM
sm1ke
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Hmm, is it the ethanol really that big of a factor? Now that I think of it, the couple of times the idle did stutter a little, I was gassing up with 91 octane from Co-Op. Since switching to Shell 91 which is advertised as having no ethanol, I haven't really experienced anything. Interesting.
Old 02-12-14, 07:32 PM
IS250Josh
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

as I was told the Lexus "engineers" have narrowed it down to the increasing amount of ethanol in the fuels these days. not sure if there is any proof but that's what they're going with.. so from now on ill be looking for non ethanol fuel or adding a stabilizer.
Old 02-13-14, 07:49 AM
is250gurl
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by IS250Josh
My car is still in the shop and the water pump was leaking a little which they are replacing for free however they did sell me on changing the spark plugs and the alternator bearings but they aren't charging labor since its already out.

I asked them if they did anything to correct the problem so it doesn't happen again and he said well this is the phase 1 process the engineers are still working on a phase 2 so they can correct the problem permanently. I mean its not really Lexus fault, its the gas makers and their damn ethanol. I will be trying to find gas stations with 0% ethanol from now on.. Also my wife doesn't drive and baby the car anymore so with my heavy foot im sure it wont be a problem for years to come, maybe ill have it traded on a newer model or a 350 by then.
First time I am hearing this about the gas.If that is the case wou;dn't a bunch of other cars have the same issue then? My next question to them is do they plan to cover this second fix for everyone? It seems so costly as they most likely will have to clean it all out again too.
Old 02-13-14, 08:57 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Originally Posted by is250gurl
If that is the case wouldn't a bunch of other cars have the same issue then?
Carbon build up issues plague many direct injection engines, not just Lexus. It's simply a function of the design, and not such an easy problem to solve. This article is a few years old, but does a decent job at explaining.

http://www.edmunds.com/autoobserver-...-adopters.html
Old 02-13-14, 09:04 AM
is250gurl
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
Carbon build up issues plague many direct injection engines, not just Lexus. It's simply a function of the design, and not such an easy problem to solve. This article is a few years old, but does a decent job at explaining.

http://www.edmunds.com/autoobserver-...-adopters.html
Yes this I know and will try to never buy a direct injection car again. I was one of the first people to bring up my car was doing this years ago on here and to my dealer. It's still happening weekly even after the piston fix.
Old 02-13-14, 01:16 PM
IS250Josh
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by is250gurl
First time I am hearing this about the gas.If that is the case wou;dn't a bunch of other cars have the same issue then? My next question to them is do they plan to cover this second fix for everyone? It seems so costly as they most likely will have to clean it all out again too.
trade up to the IS350. They don't have this problem which is probably what I will do one day.
Old 02-13-14, 01:21 PM
ajfinoak
Driver

I live in No CA and have had the idle issues since under 20K miles in my '08 IS 250 and have never used gas with ethanol- only Chevron premium. I have also driven other DI engines and none have this issue. The fact that it appears to come back again for many posters would seem to indicate that this is a design issue. I will sell the car when it hits 9 years old and the extended warranty for the repair expires. Not worth the risk of a 4K repair that will leave the car at the same value as before it was done.
Old 02-13-14, 07:49 PM
Serifiyah
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

I think Chevron does come with ethanol too. I could be wrong though.
Old 02-13-14, 08:10 PM
firelikeiy
Intermediate

Received 55 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by chikoo
I have been using bg44k once a year and synthetic oil changes ever since my engine stalled 3 years ago. Never after that. In fact the dealership could not even make it misfire or stall when I took it in 2months ago. I have 75k on the odo.
I have 76K miles on mine. I have ran Mobil 1 synthetic since I purchased the car new with 5k mile oil changes. I am occasionally getting misfires after coming off the freeway to a stop. Nothing bad yet. I have been using 3m fuel injection cleaning system every 25K miles and just installed a OCC. I honestly don't want an engine overhaul unless I absolutely need it. Unfortunately, I am also getting cam gear rattle on cold start ups... Not really sure what to do with the car. It is in near excellent condition. I was hoping to get 250K+ miles out of it.
Old 02-14-14, 07:36 AM
Kausion
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I have had the piston replacement a year ago. The car is running great now, but I'm lost on how to keep it running great. The carbon build up is an issue that we can't seem to avoid. So I'm in search of what other car companies advise there customers on how to lower the amount of build up. Many automakers have direct injection engines. My car still looks like new and I would love to keep it another five years. Especially since I just had a new transmission installed at the dealer for free. Do any of you have tips on keeping the carbon build up down inside the engine. Thanks in advance.
Old 02-14-14, 08:17 AM
sm1ke
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Use Seafoam twice a year or when you start to notice the symptoms, try using ethanol free 91 octane gas only, and push the engine hard every once in a while.

I haven't had to use Seafoam yet, but I've been doing the other two for the better part of a year and I haven't noticed any issues.
Old 02-14-14, 08:26 AM
Kausion
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sm1ke
Use Seafoam twice a year or when you start to notice the symptoms, try using ethanol free 91 octane gas only, and push the engine hard every once in a while.

I haven't had to use Seafoam yet, but I've been doing the other two for the better part of a year and I haven't noticed any issues.
Thanks for the response.
Old 02-14-14, 01:01 PM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

Received 580 Likes on 390 Posts

Using different gas and pushing the engine now and again will likely not too too much to affect carbon build up unfortunately.

The carbon is building up upstream of where fuel is being injected.

Jeff
Old 02-14-14, 03:27 PM
firelikeiy
Intermediate

Received 55 Likes on 48 Posts

I feel the 3M fuel system tune up kit is the best system that is readily available to clean the intake valves on a DI engine I feel the 3M fuel system tune up kit is the best system that is readily available to clean the intake valves on a DI engine
. Seafoam is half pale oil (diesel fuel).

Seafoam MSDS

Ingredient. % by Wt
Pale Oil 40-60%
Naptha 25-35%
IPA 10-20%

3M™ Intake System Cleaner Kit

Ingredient. % by Wt
Isopropyl Alcohol 30-60%
Heavy Aromatic Solvent Naphtha (Petroleum) 10-30%
Water 10-30%
Isobutane 7-13%
Oleic Acid 6-13%
Triethanolamine 5-10%
Linoleic Acid 1-5%
Tripropylene Glycol Methyl Ether 1-5%
Naphthalene < 0.2%
Diethanolamine < 0.1%

Last edited by firelikeiy; 02-14-14 at 03:36 PM.

Quick Reply: Lexus IS250 4GR-FSE Engine Carbon Build-up (merged threads)