IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Lexus IS250 4GR-FSE Engine Carbon Build-up (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-10, 08:45 PM
ahnjae
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you have issues like rough idle and low MPG, then i recommend people to Seafoam there vehicles no matter what car it is. It is completely safe that can be used in the crankcase, fuel tank and intake stream and you immediately see results right away. It will remove almost all carbon build up and will see it all exit out of your exhaust....I have seafoamed all my vehicles after time. This is especially a must if you purchased a used car. Just make sure you do it in a safe place where theres no one around because there is going to be a lot of smoke coming out of your exhaust if your engine and lines are dirty.

http://www.seafoamsales.com/
Old 02-26-10, 09:38 PM
IS25Heaven
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have gotten this problem maybe once or twice. Always thought it was my intake not sucking enough air?
But it seems like most people wot 3-6 times a week. I pretty much wot everytime i get on the highway, since 200hp doesnt get you going anywhere. So i wot maybe like 5 times per day.
Old 03-05-10, 08:51 AM
ajfinoak
Driver

My 08 IS 250 with 18K has been at the dealer all week. It finally did it when I pulled in the lot to bring it in so they have seen the intermittent vibration in the steering wheel at idle problem. Regional Service Mgr is there this week also. They thought it might be gas I am using but always use Chevron. Appears from computer it is running a little rich when it happens. Hope they are able to figure it out- third time I have brought it in. Have the HS as a loaner- not impressed- IS even the 250 is much more responsive and handles way better.
Old 03-05-10, 01:20 PM
wolverine
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ajfinoak
Have the HS as a loaner- not impressed- IS even the 250 is much more responsive and handles way better.
maybe because the HS is not a "sports" car?
Old 03-05-10, 08:46 PM
DJSirkit13
Driver

Wat the hell does WOT stand for.
Old 03-05-10, 09:00 PM
T4styPh0
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DJSirkit13
Wat the hell does WOT stand for.
Short for wide open throttle
Old 03-05-10, 09:01 PM
cupid0210
Lead Lap

^^^^^hahaha, I was wondering the SAME thing!!
Old 03-10-10, 07:34 AM
hades281
Driver

thread bump
Old 04-26-10, 11:41 AM
mjhsnow
Driver School Candidate

Default Rough idle, Check Engine, Carbon Buildup

Since the beginning (2007) i have had the problem of fine running until i exit the freeway, where it runs rough and almost dies at idle. Then fine. It was fixed at dealer with carbon cleaning service, but gets worse again. Just had a severe loss of power, check engine light (accompanied by VSC error). With engine off and back on the problem disappeared. Lexus showed a misfire code on #2 and they found that #2 had a low compression. They propose a carbon service again.

What is the cause of the carbon buildup (i use Shell Premium)?

Any update to software to fix the hot idle problem?
Old 04-27-10, 08:36 AM
hades281
Driver

I am hoping that the ECU update for the gas pedal override includes a software improvement for this condition. Lexus is apparently aware of this issue and it would be the perfect opportunity for them to remedy it under the radar. (Or, if the software has been improved for later year model cars, we are probably getting the latest version with that update) Who knows?
Old 04-27-10, 09:31 AM
Evil Teo
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

when I had my is250 around 25k miles i had the same issue and had lexus cleaned out all the carbon. since then i traded mines in for an F. i dont think wot has anything to do wit it. i wot almost everyday on the is250.
Old 04-27-10, 09:50 AM
DJSirkit13
Driver

Originally Posted by ahnjae
If you have issues like rough idle and low MPG, then i recommend people to Seafoam there vehicles no matter what car it is. It is completely safe that can be used in the crankcase, fuel tank and intake stream and you immediately see results right away. It will remove almost all carbon build up and will see it all exit out of your exhaust....I have seafoamed all my vehicles after time. This is especially a must if you purchased a used car. Just make sure you do it in a safe place where theres no one around because there is going to be a lot of smoke coming out of your exhaust if your engine and lines are dirty.

http://www.seafoamsales.com/
i used it in my gas tank and a little in the oil worked great but make sure you get a oil change after.
I didn't put it in the PCV line due to the fact we have E throttle didn't want to mess anything up. but just gas tank and oil makes a good diff. NO Smoke though i think you only get smoke if you ut in the PCV line
Old 04-27-10, 10:10 AM
A1Lexis
Lexus Test Driver

When I brought my 06 IS with 41K into the dealership for the cold start-up TSIB, the tech told me there was significant carbon build up on the TB and he cleaned it using 3M TB cleaner and gave me an extra can. He said running high octane or WOT won't hurt, but it will not prevent it. He strongly suggested adding fuel injection cleaner at every other fill-up and cleaning the TB every 15K miles. After he cleaned the carbon, I immediately noticed my car didn't have the hesitation or feeling like it was going to die at a traffic light anymore.
Old 04-27-10, 02:21 PM
LyleBeach
Driver

I have a friend with an 06 GS300 with the same problems. He has around 30,000 miles on the clock. Took it to Lexus, they had the car for several weeks, pulled the head, found large deposits of carbon build up.

Seems this problem is not just with the IS.
Old 04-27-10, 06:55 PM
shui3000
Pole Position

does anybody know if you can just put seafoam into the brake booster tube like all other cars, or is our car just so damn special

Quick Reply: Lexus IS250 4GR-FSE Engine Carbon Build-up (merged threads)