IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Lexus IS250 4GR-FSE Engine Carbon Build-up (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-10, 12:18 PM
is250gurl
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Coconut
My 08' IS250 has 44,000 miles on it right now. Every since I had the car it would "stutter" maybe once every 4 months. Recently it's been "stuttering" once a week now. Usually it would stutter a bit and go back to normal but on one occasion the VSC light came on and it wouldn't go above 2000 rpm ot 30 mph. Lucky I wasn't on the freeway. I had to restart the car to get it back to normal. I'm going to have the dealership perform the TSIB on my next oil change.

This is really making me question the reliability of this car. This is my daily driver and I plan to keep it for 5+ years. I drive about 22k miles per year and reliability is critical. This seems to be a recurring problem with no real long term fix. Should I be worried when the car hits 80k, 100k, 120k miles?
my thoughts exactly coconut! i get the stutter about once a wk now it seems and it started at 20k and then would only happen every 4-6 months.
Old 06-10-10, 12:25 PM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Received 268 Likes on 216 Posts

so this only happens with IS250?
Old 06-10-10, 12:34 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jfree
The stealership would not cover this under warranty. They insisted that the carbon buildup was due to me using the wrong gas. I only use premium gas, but they were not trying to hear it. I hate dealerships here is what they charged me
Bummer.

I guess they aren't expecting customers like me when they give that excuse, since I have written records for all my gas purchases since day 1 (via a Chervon card, which is the only way I purchase gasoline).
Old 06-10-10, 01:10 PM
SoDiezl350
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The stealership would not cover this under warranty. They insisted that the carbon buildup was due to me using the wrong gas. I only use premium gas, but they were not trying to hear it. I hate dealerships here is what they charged me
That's when you drive the car through the front display and say that your accelerator pedal was stuck to the floor mat.
Old 06-10-10, 01:51 PM
E6BAV8R
Pole Position

Originally Posted by SoDiezl350
That's when you drive the car through the front display and say that your accelerator pedal was stuck to the floor mat.
More specifically, try to aim for the most expensive car you can find inside the showroom.
Old 06-10-10, 04:25 PM
is250gurl
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

i called corporate tonight and asked what their plan is about this problem. we shall see who contacts me to talk more. i know they will be talking to my dealership. what a pain!!!
Old 06-10-10, 06:28 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 257 Posts

What dealership was this? They deserve to be named and shamed!
Old 06-11-10, 05:52 PM
Clay Easto
Pole Position

Originally Posted by sktn77a
What dealership was this? They deserve to be named and shamed!
No chance he had the TSIB top end cleaning for less than $300. He probably had a fuel system cleaning which is NOT the TSIB top end cleaning.
Old 06-15-10, 11:52 AM
hades281
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Thoughts about Carbon Buildup in our engines

It seems like an accumulation of carbon buildup on valves is the cause of a one time, intermittent stumble at idle when coming to a stop. Some people have blamed the PCV valve as the source of the carbon, as it is in the VW turbocharged engines which tend to consume half to a full quart of oil between changes.

Here are a few of my thoughts... I hope this kicks off a technical discussion we can all learn from

1) The top end cleaning TSIB has a VIN production range stated. This implies some IS250s, presumably produced late in the 2010 MY run do not qualify and would not suffer from this problem. This leads me to wonder, what change could have been made?

2) If the obstruction was significant enough to disrupt the engine idle, how could it occur just once when say, coming off of a highway? Once you come to a stop from high speed operation, the RPMs dip into the 400-500s for a second and everything is back to normal. Wouldn't an obstructed inlet cause a perpetual bad idle or repeated misfire on that cylinder?

3) Toyota has been using direct injection for 10 years. The possibility of buildup on valves was surely understood by engineers and IMO deemed not a significant problem. Intakes and valves have been getting dirty for years.

4) IS350 engines with dual injection apparently have issues with carbon buildup as well.

5) Our engines don't seem to consume a measurable amount of engine oil. In the case of the VW, a steady trickle of oil passes through the PCV valve, and the PCV hoses are an oily mess. I don't believe we have this problem.

6) Some users have noticed this issue with very low mileage (less than 10,000 miles). Is that enough time to have a carbon buildup problem, when a VW that passes ounces of oil through the intake doesn't usually develop any kind of issue until thousands of miles later (and the valves are really coked up)? I don't think so.

I think the engine tune and programming is causing this problem. Some engines are programmed to deactivate the fuel injectors on deceleration -- if our engine does this, perhaps they are not kicking back in fast enough. Also, the engine may benefit from running leaner. It may also benefit from a higher engine idle speed - most of us have noted a smoother idle when the a/c or lights are on.

If these things can be adjusted with software, it may be included in the new engine software that includes brake override. This may explain why there is a VIN range -- the brake override is included on new 2010 cars.

OK, lets discuss

Last edited by hades281; 06-15-10 at 11:57 AM.
Old 06-15-10, 11:59 AM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

about the engine running leaner: well the 250 have a 12:1 compression ratio so running leaner~ would cause higher engine temps among other things~ n higher temps = bad... so if running leaner in a F1 car is bad, it must be bad for normal cars too right?

*yes im comparing our cars to F1 cars *
Old 06-15-10, 12:12 PM
hades281
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Of course, running too lean would be a problem. But that doesn't mean that we aren't a little too rich right now.
Old 06-15-10, 01:45 PM
l3xuz
Driver School Candidate

so your saying that not all is250 suffer from carbon builtup cause i dont have any problem like that yet and my is rwd is250 24k in it and i look up the tsib my vin is not in there.
Old 06-15-10, 02:55 PM
Koz

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

The carbon build up is caused by the fuel being induced directly into the cylinder instead of through the intake track across the intake valves. Combustion by-products (carbon) accumulate on the intake valves and the additives/detergents in the fuel do not flow across the intake valves to help keep the valves clean.
Attached Thumbnails Lexus IS250 4GR-FSE Engine Carbon Build-up (merged threads)-carbon2.jpg   Lexus IS250 4GR-FSE Engine Carbon Build-up (merged threads)-carbon1.jpg  

Last edited by Koz; 06-24-10 at 04:40 AM.
Old 06-15-10, 03:01 PM
vwynn
Lexus Fanatic

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

thats not your IS right? O_O
Old 06-15-10, 03:27 PM
Koz

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by vwynn
thats not your IS right? O_O
No, I have 40K miles and all is well. I don't think the 350 will suffer as bad as the 250 because the 350 has port and direct injection. I also only use "Top Tier" fuel and I'm at WOT every time I drive my car!

The picture with the valves in head is a direct injected RS4. Owners are very upset and several are dumping them ASAP.

Koz

Quick Reply: Lexus IS250 4GR-FSE Engine Carbon Build-up (merged threads)