IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

DRL Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-10, 10:32 PM
cupid0210
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DRL Question

Okay guys, I know alot of you know how to do this, but unfortuantely I do not. A fellow CL member (toHn) has badass DRLs that look like HIDs and I wanted to know which bulb to use in order to get the same look. I know it is from VLed which he told me, but neither he nor I are sure which bulb it is. If anyone can help, that would be great.
Old 02-22-10, 10:36 PM
tnogi
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Im glad you decided to do research, here is the pic that he is talking about...

I gave him advise to the best of my knowledge but just wanted him to recheck.

GL bud,
toHn
Old 02-22-10, 10:38 PM
JoshIS408
- - G T V I P - -

Received 117 Likes on 44 Posts

^ Nice. I like that fog mod.

Heres my drls

Old 02-22-10, 10:50 PM
cupid0210
Lead Lap

Awesome pics, but can anyone tell me which bulb to use for the DRLs to look like that? :-)
Old 02-23-10, 01:39 AM
tnogi
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

BTW remember to put CLUBLEXUS (all caps) on the coupon slot
to recieve a discount...

toHn
Old 02-23-10, 06:38 AM
BS ISF
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

i have the 68 led drl but here is the link to the new high output drl.

http://www.v-leds.com/Exterior-LED/D...52845-1-2.html

Last edited by BS ISF; 02-23-10 at 06:50 AM.
Old 02-23-10, 07:55 AM
twixx007
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by EGI IS350

I have these same DRL LEDs also. Here is the Link to my post. I bought them from here. Good luck!

Last edited by twixx007; 02-24-10 at 05:52 AM.
Old 02-23-10, 11:17 AM
cupid0210
Lead Lap

Thanks for the coupon code toHn!!
Now with this High output DRL, my highbeams will still work right?
Old 02-23-10, 11:22 AM
svntwosix
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by cupid0210
Thanks for the coupon code toHn!!
Now with this High output DRL, my highbeams will still work right?
No, if you put in LEDs in your DRL, your highbeams are gone.

Originally Posted by EGI IS350

I have these, but I don't think they are worth it. You need to drill more holes and have more wires running around your engine bay for some 2x brighter LEDS. IMHO, not worth it. DRLs don't need to be bright. People change them just for the color, so why bother with the extra work to get it brighter. White is white! It's also cheaper to get the older ones.

I am trying to exchange it for the 68 SMT LEDs one but they have been ignoring me for a week ever since I brought up exchange. Email was good up to that point, makes me change my impression on their customer service. Will have to call them today and have them allow me to exchange.

Last edited by svntwosix; 02-23-10 at 11:26 AM.
Old 02-23-10, 11:24 AM
cupid0210
Lead Lap

awww man!! That sucks! SO which bulb will give it that HID look but still be able to let me use my highbeams??
Old 02-23-10, 11:29 AM
svntwosix
Lexus Test Driver

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I dont think any would work. If you want highbeams for those rare times you use it, just stick with what you have or have the dealership turn off the DRLs.
Old 02-23-10, 11:35 AM
cupid0210
Lead Lap

O, well then im just gonna have to make a decision on whether to lose my highbeams or not. But like you said svntwosix, it is a rare occasion when I actually use them. Thnaks everybody for your responses. GREAT info!!
Old 02-23-10, 11:40 AM
xuningshen
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by svntwosix

I have these, but I don't think they are worth it. You need to drill more holes and have more wires running around your engine bay for some 2x brighter LEDS. IMHO, not worth it. DRLs don't need to be bright. People change them just for the color, so why bother with the extra work to get it brighter. White is white! It's also cheaper to get the older ones.

I am trying to exchange it for the 68 SMT LEDs one but they have been ignoring me for a week ever since I brought up exchange. Email was good up to that point, makes me change my impression on their customer service. Will have to call them today and have them allow me to exchange.
If your drilling more holes to install LED Drl/high beams. I'm pretty sure your doing it wrong. i'm running drl's and the fix modules, i put it under neath the reflector area in the headlamp housing, fits fine. no drilling like putting HIDs in the lows

Originally Posted by cupid0210
awww man!! That sucks! SO which bulb will give it that HID look but still be able to let me use my highbeams??
None, nomatter how white a halogen bulb is(even "cool blue" ones), when its running at 50% power(our DRLs are our high beams at 50% power) it will apear yellowish white. So either go LED or go get the JDM orange-yellow halogen color,(looks like 3k and you can still keep your high beams) inbetween looks gross.

LED headlights are finally starting to come out on cars, but otherwise LEDs really don't produce enough output to put light on the road.
Old 02-23-10, 12:10 PM
twixx007
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by svntwosix

If you are drilling holes then you are doing it wrong. I did not have to drill any holes. The modules fit in the housing before you put the plastic cap on. These are a lot better and brighter than the older ones. They look awesome!!
Old 02-23-10, 01:34 PM
raptor22
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by twixx007
I have these same DRL LEDs also. Here is the Link to my post. I bought them from http://www.v-leds.com/Exterior-LED/D...52845-1-2.html. Good luck!
twixx, do you have the 68 LED or the new 2x brighter 28 LED? From your thread and the pics, it looks like you have the 68 LED, but your v-leds link is to the new 28 LED version.

in any case, it seems v-leds might be discontinuing the 68 LED? since i can't find it on their website anymore, at least not the white ones.

NOTE: There are two different types of LED from v-leds being mentioned in this thread.

For those with the 68 LED from v-leds or similar LED from other brands, as twixx and xuningshen pointed out, installation is very easy, and no drilling, since all you need is the 9005 DRL module from v-leds, which fits inside the housing.

But svntwosix has the high power 28 LED, and v-leds suggests using an extra HID relay harness. I'm not sure how everything's hooked up, and i don't have these, but looks like the relay harness might be the reason why svntwosix said drilling is needed.

Quick Reply: DRL Question