IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

DIY: LS460 door locks & door cup LEDs

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-10, 11:16 PM
javyLSU
2IS OG

Received 30 Likes on 14 Posts
Exclamation DIY: LS460 door locks & door cup LEDs

So I finally got around to installing two things I've been planning on forever - LS460 door locks and door cup LED's found in late GS and LS models. Since the LS, GS, and IS share the same interior door handle assemblies, the parts are interchangeable. I figured I would do them all at the same time and write up some instructions, so here's a brief overview of how to install these in your 2IS:

Parts list (I purchased all these parts from Luis at www.L-TunedParts.com)

Door locks, 4 total:
(2) 69741-50020-C0 (right side locks)
(2) 69742-50020-C0 (left side locks)

The door locks do not come with the orange lock indicator decals, so you'll need to order those too:
(2) 74531-0E010 (right side decals)
(2) 74531-0E020 (left side decals)

Door cup LEDs: You'll only need two sets of the LED's since the rear door cups do not have the slots or mounting points necessary to mount the LED.
(1) 81080-30050 (right side LED assembly)
(1) 81080-30060 (left side LED assembly)

1. Remove the door panel. There are plenty of posts outlining how to do this, so I won't detail that step in this DIY.

Please note that removing the interior door handle assembly is only required if you plan on installing the door cup LED's. If you are only upgrading your door locks, you can skip directly to step 6 below and remove and replace your locks without unbolting the assembly.

2. Use a phillips-head screwdriver to remove the three screws from the grey brace.

3. Once that's out of the way, remove the four screws that fasten the interior door handle assembly to the door panel.

4. You'll notice in the photo above that the upper left hand screw is blocked by the window trim. In order to access that screw, you'll have to release the tab located about an inch to the left of that screw, as seen below. You'll need a flat-head screwdriver to release that tab:

5. Once the interior door handle assembly is removed from the door panel, remove the original lock. It releases in two places. One is a tab above the lock that can be pressed with a flat-head screwdriver. Use the same flat-head screwdriver to push upward from underneath on the lock (while still holding the upper tab) and the lock will pop out. Installing the new lock is exactly the reverse of removal.

Here's the finished product:

6. While you still have the interior door handle assembly separated from the door panel, you can install the door cup LED. It's pretty straight forward - the piece aligns into place using slots, and once aligned you then push down on the piece and snap the two retaining clips into place:

7. The LED units will come with a harness - since the IS does not have this harness, you'll have to make your own. If you don't, you'll have to cut the wires every time you remove your door panel. I cut off the LED harness and connected the two wires to some "quick disconnects." These can be found in the electrical department at any hardware store like Home Depot or Lowe's or Radio Shack. MAKE SURE you mark one of the connections from the other so you can tell which disconnects are paired with each other. I used a black magic marker to pair the female and male ends of one of the quick disconnects.

8. Here's what your door panel should look like once you've finished extending the wiring from the LED:

9. Now you'll need to tap two wires to power and control the door cup LEDs.

From the larger of the two harnesses that connect to the window switches, tap the white wire with a black stripe as seen here:

10. From the smaller harness, tap the orange wire as seen here:

*Update* - If you have an IS-F or an ISx50 with "Reverse Tilting Side View mirrors" (found in Sport or Luxury Pkg) don't tap the thin orange wire on the smaller harness (for the mirror controls) for the driver's side - instead tap the small thin black wire found on the same large harness (window controller) that has the white wire w/black stripe. Thank You Pocky and Joe Z!!!

11. Connect the black wire from the LED to the white wire with black stripe you tapped in the large window switch harness. I matched these wires in the photos below to give you a reference.

12. The white wire coming from the LED must be connected to the orange wire you tapped in the smaller harness.

13. Notice the T-Tap I used above - this allows me to disconnect these wires whenever I need to remove my door panels. This is the "make your own harness" that I referred to earlier.

14. Verify your connections by tapping the start button to "ACC" mode and you should see the LEDs illuminate your door cups. Here's what the finished product looks like:

This is an easy mod that doesn't cost much, and really adds class to the interior of the 2IS. Feel free to ask any questions, and good luck!

*UPDATE* I've rewired the LEDs to the footwell LEDs per sinister2c's suggestion as detailed in this post:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/5586409-post69.html

Special thanks to Luis at Carson Toyota/L-TunedParts.com, and CL members Joe Z, pocky, and sinister2c for help sorting out the wiring.

Javier

Last edited by javyLSU; 01-17-11 at 06:06 AM.
Old 02-21-10, 11:19 PM
nmpeter
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks good! I've seen them on the IS-F guys, never knew the lit up. I can't see myself doing this though. I wouldn't look at them too much lol.
Old 02-21-10, 11:24 PM
pocky
mooncake master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Woot!!!!!! I want those door locks now.
Old 02-22-10, 12:29 AM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by pocky
me too. lol.

javy, those look great. thanks for the awesome write-up and pics!
Old 02-22-10, 12:32 AM
greg0723
Lead Lap

very nice how long that take you?
Old 02-22-10, 12:33 AM
VipDout
19x11.5 -51

Wow thats Nice !
Old 02-22-10, 12:47 AM
2slow
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by pocky
I want too!
Old 02-22-10, 12:52 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Great DIY Javy, and finished product looks awesome
Old 02-22-10, 12:53 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by 2slow
I want too!
I'm sure it's another little project you can perfect Tim
Old 02-22-10, 01:32 AM
mikemoto81
Rookie

Very nice! Are they wired to stay on when the car is running? Do they fade in and out by chance?
Old 02-22-10, 06:57 AM
iSuxeL
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm confused about when those LEDs go off LOL, does it come on when the door is open? Great write up though! Looks like I might have something else to do haha
Old 02-22-10, 07:03 AM
Chekmi21
Lead Lap

I did the front locks on my car with the LS locks. I didn't do the LEDs though! Those look great! I had the hardest time getting the actual lock in and out due to that little tiny circular clip on the bottom of the lock.
Old 02-22-10, 09:50 AM
javyLSU
2IS OG

Received 30 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by greg0723
very nice how long that take you?
Depending on whether you plan on doing the LEDs AND door locks, and how good you are with wiring, it can take anywhere from 2 to 4 hours.
Originally Posted by mikemoto81
Very nice! Are they wired to stay on when the car is running? Do they fade in and out by chance?
Originally Posted by iSuxeL
I'm confused about when those LEDs go off LOL, does it come on when the door is open? Great write up though! Looks like I might have something else to do haha
They don't fade on or off. The lights are wired to power on when you turn on the car, or tap the ignition button without starting the car. Once you turn off the car and open the door though, they turn off. The LED's are only visible in the dark anyway, so you wouldn't be able to see them with the door open.

One other note - in the last photo in my original post, the light from the LED looks a little blue. These are OEM Lexus parts, so as you can imagine it's not blue at all - it's a perfect white light.

Javier
Old 02-22-10, 09:59 AM
norapat01
Former Sponsor

great post, probably going to do this mod in the summer!
Old 02-22-10, 10:03 AM
joeker
Racer

Originally Posted by javyLSU
They don't fade on or off. The lights are wired to power on when you turn on the car, or tap the ignition button without starting the car. Once you turn off the car and open the door though, they turn off. The LED's are only visible in the dark anyway, so you wouldn't be able to see them with the door open.

Javier
very nice Javier, but i have a question: are the lights on the whole time while you drive then?

Quick Reply: DIY: LS460 door locks & door cup LEDs