IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

***attention: Vibration issue resolved***

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-10, 08:22 PM
LexIS007
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by is250gurl
i've been complaining about the occasional studder i get from my car at idle every few months or more and they keep talking about carbon build up on the throttle body and a fuel injection cleaning. i find this hard to believe after only 42k on the car and only using premium gas since day 1. a clean & rebuild? you've got to be kidding me.
I agree, my car only has 26k on the clock, and i baby it...only the best oils, fuel, etc... I really think the new direct injection setup might have something to do with this...you do know there are 12 injectors on the 2IS. This mixed with low idle and detonation settings might account for carbon build up in our engines. I am no mechanic, just speculations really...hope they get a TSB out for this soon...for good customer relations i mean. I seriously have been looking at some Euro cars lately...the new Mercedes are simply AWESOME! Lexus has been slipping up lately, and I miss the old build quality style.
Old 02-22-10, 10:49 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,849 Likes on 2,334 Posts

Just go WOT once in awhile. You won't have any trouble with carbon build up.
Old 02-23-10, 01:39 PM
josephlee
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wow, are you actually talking about taking apart the engine to clean up the valves?
Old 02-23-10, 06:01 PM
blue_dlb
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dubsesd
this vibration isn't the same vibration AWD owners get when they lower their cars. this is a different case
Has it been confirmed that AWD vibration is really caused by lowering the suspension? Is it true that lowering the suspension stretches out the drive axle which causes the vibration?
Old 02-23-10, 09:44 PM
LexIS007
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by josephlee
wow, are you actually talking about taking apart the engine to clean up the valves?
I don't think they took apart my engine...i mean, i hope they didn't take apart my engine...at 26k miles? I believe it was more of a additive injection process...with some kind of thorough manual cleaning. I honestly think more people should bring in their cars or call Lexus about this, because unless people say something, they will just continue to let things "slip".
Old 02-23-10, 11:29 PM
XhyDra
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Just go WOT once in awhile. You won't have any trouble with carbon build up.
Exactly.
but wait there's more...
Old 04-07-10, 09:29 PM
eboot
Driver

Good thing the dealer managed to take care of this issue for you.

I've been experiencing the same problem with my 07 is250 AWD. I am on F-Sport springs, however, I've had them on since 18K miles and this vibration in "D" and "R" only became evident after the car has reached 30K on the odometer.

I do not have any issues with the car shaking after take off or anything like that.. It's only when my foot is on the brake pedal and the car is either in "D" or "R". It's getting pretty annoying.. I feel it in the brake pedal, doors... time to pay my dealer a visit
Old 04-16-10, 01:51 AM
panda327
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

how big or obvious is the vibration ?
i do notice some vibrations in my car now but i don't think it is a problem ...yet
should there be no vibrations at all?
Old 04-16-10, 03:31 AM
is150
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

does anyone know the type/brand of fuel system treatment lexus uses?
Old 04-16-10, 09:28 AM
ajfinoak
Driver

I brought my '08 250 wiith 18K miles to dealer last month and they witnessed the idle vibration in steering wheel when in D with no a/c on. I had brought it in for this 2X before. By coincidence, the Regional Factory Repair Rep was there. They did top engine cleaning, , cleaned throttle body, checked fuel for water, inspected motor mounts, subframe and exhaust, checked for vacuum leaks. Still does it but they say vibration is below what other IS's do. I am not satisfied as I have not driven another that does this and the car did not do it when new. I have noticed that the vibration goes away when headlights or a/c is on as idle kicks up. Idle is at 500 or under 600 when vibration occurs. Dealer says idle is not adjustable. Any suggestions?-VERY frustrating. I also have a 10 year old Acura CL that I enjoy driving more at this point!
Old 06-09-10, 05:43 AM
is250gurl
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ajfinoak
I brought my '08 250 wiith 18K miles to dealer last month and they witnessed the idle vibration in steering wheel when in D with no a/c on. I had brought it in for this 2X before. By coincidence, the Regional Factory Repair Rep was there. They did top engine cleaning, , cleaned throttle body, checked fuel for water, inspected motor mounts, subframe and exhaust, checked for vacuum leaks. Still does it but they say vibration is below what other IS's do. I am not satisfied as I have not driven another that does this and the car did not do it when new. I have noticed that the vibration goes away when headlights or a/c is on as idle kicks up. Idle is at 500 or under 600 when vibration occurs. Dealer says idle is not adjustable. Any suggestions?-VERY frustrating. I also have a 10 year old Acura CL that I enjoy driving more at this point!

did they ever get this fixed for you? what happened?
Old 06-09-10, 09:40 AM
ajfinoak
Driver

Originally Posted by is250gurl
did they ever get this fixed for you? what happened?
No, the car is still vibrating in D at idle unless I have the headlights or A/C on. I am really disappointed in the car. I did have a '10 IS250 loaner last time I brought it in and did notice a very slight vibration under the same conditions on a new car but obviously, at least in my car, it has gotten worse as the car has gotten older (20K miles now). I will likely deal with Lexus corporate again when I bring it in. Not sure why some cars do this more than others. I don't run it often at WOT since no point in wasting the gas in San Fran Bay area traffic. As folks run out of warranty on these cars not sure what Lexus will do for those encountering this the first time or repeated. In my case, at least, they have not been able to do a lasting fix under warranty.
Old 06-09-10, 10:44 AM
PandaBear
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The build up is due to direct injection not spraying gasoline onto the valve (with detergents in the gas) to clean up the crank case fume sucked back into the intake from the PCV valve. This is common on many direct injection engine. If you spray a can of carb cleaner (or seafoam) into the intake manifold on a regular basis, you should be fine.
Old 06-09-10, 11:06 AM
shadowman
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quick question on carb cleaner / sea form... wouldn't that be harmful to the engine or seals ? I was told most of the third party chemicals may be too harsh on the engine and seals... such as fuel injector cleaners, etc.
Old 06-09-10, 11:17 AM
Koz

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

If WOT keeps the carbon off, my valves must look like they were polished!

Koz

Quick Reply: ***attention: Vibration issue resolved***