Print Wikipost

DIY: Foglight Modification

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-14, 05:35 PM
imdrax
Rookie

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by B16da9
I installed mine the same way except I have my relay signal wire to a power source that only sees power with the ignition on. Now i can turn the Fogs on and off once the car has ignition power.
Any tips on doing this way? I'm trying to have fogs work anytime the car is on without a switch.
Old 09-17-14, 10:09 PM
imdrax
Rookie

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Update: wired to the IGN hot pole of the Fan relay. Now I have fogs whenever ignition is on. I could have also wired a relay if I wanted to have the stalk switch work but I like having my fogs on 100% of time since I have DRL disabled.

Old 09-18-14, 10:58 AM
mrfresh
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Where is the fuse for the fogs???? ..... I think I blew mine out the other day
Old 09-19-14, 05:14 AM
ULTSISF
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mrfresh
Where is the fuse for the fogs???? ..... I think I blew mine out the other day
Engine bay...driver side. Should be a 10 or 20 can't remember
Old 09-16-15, 07:35 PM
SebaPR
Driver

Has anyone done this mod like this?? Pictures disappeared and im not sure which wires he is referring to, i want to wire my fogs to come on with my city lights (first click of stalk).

Originally Posted by iTaLiAnO
Sorry for the wait guys. Here's how I did it. I connected the parking light wire to the fog light wire so that whenever the parking lights are on, the fogs are on. This gives me the possibility to run with or without fogs in the day, if I choose to run with them, then the DRL's are on as well.
As you'll see in the pictures, I pulled out my parking light bulbs a while ago (personal preference), so when I start my car with hand brake on then I can have the fogs ONLY. Obviously thats not practical. On the first click of the light stalk is DRL's, Parking Lights, and Fogs.
The only problem was locating the wire, which I went to Lexus for. They were happy to print me a 35 page colour wiring diagram and tell me "good luck" lol. After some careful reading, I found out which wires were left and right parking lights and fogs.

I am going to use pocky's picture to describe:

-Locate fuse box on far driver side, open (push tab at the bottom and pull)
-Being delicate, push the tabs on either side of the control box to lift it out
-Un plug the connector on the right side of this picture

-On that connector, locate 1)green with red stripe, 2)blue, 3)light green, and 4)dark green (you will have to remove some tape and pull back the plastic housing)
-Now the next part can be done one of two ways.

Light Green = Pin 6 = Right Fog
Green with Red Stripe = Pin 7 = Left Fog
Blue = Pin 9 = Left Parking light
Dark Green = Pin 8 = Right Parking Light

So you can connect Light Green --> Dark Green OR Green w/ red --> Blue

Either way will work, and will turn BOTH fogs and BOTH parking lights on. I don't advise you connect both unless you can make sure everything remains very thin afterwards, and the control box will fit back in its space.

I just twisted the two together (after removing a bit of the silicon or rubber or wtv it is of course) and put electric tape over the two of them.

Problem: I blew the parking light fuse after a few times of turning them on and off. I replaced the stock "10" with a spare "25" that was in the box, and I have yet to change it. I plan on seeing first if it will stay intact with a 15 or a 20, since 25 is much bigger than what is supposed to be there, and I dont wanna melt wires.

The fuse in question, for those of you who don't know, can be found by reading the underside of the lid for the fuse box you've already opened. It is titled FR Tail if im not mistaken.

Here's the finished product. Enjoy.
Started with hand brake on (fogs only)

With DRL's (normal driving):
Old 09-19-15, 12:41 PM
SebaPR
Driver

i did the mod since i have a dead ballast i don't have time to replace now because of a headlamp that got water when i bought the car used and wanted better lighting. I just jumped the light green with silver dots to the dark green with silver dots using some crimp connectors and a short wire between the two used some shrink tube to cover it up and tucked wires re-wraped the plastic tube with tape. Fogs now turn on with park lights (first click) and stay on with high beams. I really like this setup since id only have my park lights on to turn on my foglight which i could not do before and i always use my fogs with my low beams. Also the auto headlamp turn off on locking the car from beeper or timed after lock still works properly so no battery drain accidents.

Last edited by SebaPR; 09-19-15 at 12:49 PM.
Old 04-14-18, 04:58 PM
eldon226
Driver School Candidate

Would you happen to still have to pictures showing exactly which wires you tapped into? the pictures are not available, just showing cats.
Old 04-16-18, 07:00 PM
djiawan
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well Done!
Old 03-13-22, 03:04 PM
sinister2c
Racer

Received 177 Likes on 139 Posts

I did this mod and soldered everything via relay. Some of the info wasn’t correct but I figured it out.

Pin 6 and 7.

Pin 6 and 7 out of the BEAN module goes to the fog lights (one each). You can circumvent that and wired directly to a 15A fuse switched circuit or thru a switch.

I go over all the options in the video.

The following users liked this post:
nigel821 (10-29-22)