IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Car battery questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-10, 06:31 PM
albis350
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Car battery questions

Well my battery drained today, i felt it a bit weak the last few days so today i was drying my car and my gf put the radio for like 10 min with the engine off and that completely drained the car didn't start after that...

First question the car did not warn me about a failing battery at any moment is that normal...

Second my battery says really big outside 84 month lexus warranty I haven't bought another battery since I'm gonna try to c if the dealer replaces it my car juts ran out of warranty it has 57k miles but is an '06, does anybody knows about the warranty the battery advertises or is not even worth trying to get it replaced and just get a new one....

P.S. I got my battery recharged and it charged great it cranked up the car perfect I'm not gonna drive the car tough since I know it can go bad again...

Thankz everyone
Old 01-02-10, 07:41 PM
Clay Easto
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Get a free one from the dealer.
Old 01-02-10, 08:08 PM
PaPaHoFF
Lexus Champion

same thing happens to mine. I need to run the engine to listen to my radio. Dies after like 10 mins max with it off. Fails to start also until I wait a bit.
Old 01-03-10, 01:27 AM
tnogi
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Im having the same problem with my battery, and Im really
wondering if the dealership can replace it?

toHn
Old 01-03-10, 02:45 AM
2slow
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by albis350
Well my battery drained today, i felt it a bit weak the last few days so today i was drying my car and my gf put the radio for like 10 min with the engine off and that completely drained the car didn't start after that...

First question the car did not warn me about a failing battery at any moment is that normal...

Second my battery says really big outside 84 month lexus warranty I haven't bought another battery since I'm gonna try to c if the dealer replaces it my car juts ran out of warranty it has 57k miles but is an '06, does anybody knows about the warranty the battery advertises or is not even worth trying to get it replaced and just get a new one....

P.S. I got my battery recharged and it charged great it cranked up the car perfect I'm not gonna drive the car tough since I know it can go bad again...

Thankz everyone
First of all try using periods in your sentence like a big boy.

Second, does your battery die overnight all the time? Or does it die even quicker then that?

Try cleaning the terminals with baking soda and water. Might be corroded and have bad current flow. Tighten connections.

Take a multimeter and see how much charge your battery has. Below 12.45V will need a recharge. Start the car and then see how much voltage there is. There should be around 13.6V-14V while engine is on. If it slowly goes down, means your alternator isn't charging you battery.

Originally Posted by PaPaHoFF
same thing happens to mine. I need to run the engine to listen to my radio. Dies after like 10 mins max with it off. Fails to start also until I wait a bit.
WOW really? I can watch an entire movie in the car and still start the car. I think your battery has bad plates.
Old 01-03-10, 05:14 AM
EJC
Instructor

Received 87 Likes on 61 Posts

Maybe I'm misreading you.
But you indicated that the battery is 84months old!!!
7 years on a battery is quite good.
5-7 is normal.

Go to Autozone and you'll get it replaced for roughly $100. You got your moneys worth out of it!
Old 01-03-10, 05:52 AM
ecr527
Lexus Champion

If I'm reading the original post correctly, the car is already out of warranty, so the dealership probably won't do anything for you. A battery that lasts over 4-5 years is about right and ready for a replacement anyway. If you really want to save some $$$, you could go to Wal-Mart and get one of their batteries. When I bought a battery for my previous car, I looked into them. They are supposed made by the same company that makes Interstate batteries, has more cold cranking amps then comparable Die Hard batteries, and costs $20-30 less.
Old 01-03-10, 08:44 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by EJC
Maybe I'm misreading you.
But you indicated that the battery is 84months old!!!
7 years on a battery is quite good.
5-7 is normal.

Go to Autozone and you'll get it replaced for roughly $100. You got your moneys worth out of it!
You're misreading.

The warranty is 84 months.

The 2IS hasn't existed for 84 months, so obviously the car isn't that old.

It's an 06 which means at most it's roughly 50-something months old. Possibly as little as 42-ish months old if it was among the last 06s.

Hence the battery should be under warranty (though likely it's a pro-rated warranty)
Old 01-03-10, 10:06 AM
albis350
Driver

Thanks everyone, sorry about the desorganized post and ommiting points and comas. I wrote this from my phone while i waited in the advanced autopart for my battery to get charged.

Thanks again to everyone that replied, and yeah the car is out of warranty, I'm in maxcare extended waranty from carmax but thats for mayor problems.

The reason why I'm asking is beacause my battery says outisde of it that it has a lexus 84 months warranty, so I'm gonna go ahead and try to get it changed tomorrow at the dealer because obviously the battery does not have 84 months.

I will let everyone know tom if they replaced it or no.
Old 01-03-10, 10:46 AM
EJC
Instructor

Received 87 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by albis350
Thanks everyone, sorry about the desorganized post and ommiting points and comas. I wrote this from my phone while i waited in the advanced autopart for my battery to get charged.

Thanks again to everyone that replied, and yeah the car is out of warranty, I'm in maxcare extended waranty from carmax but thats for mayor problems.

The reason why I'm asking is beacause my battery says outisde of it that it has a lexus 84 months warranty, so I'm gonna go ahead and try to get it changed tomorrow at the dealer because obviously the battery does not have 84 months.

I will let everyone know tom if they replaced it or no.
In that case what you'll probably find is that they will pro-rate the battery and you'll have to pay for part of it. Since about 1/2 it's life is gone you'll probably get a 50% credit on a LEXUS BATTERY. Could still be cheaper to go to Autozone.
Old 01-03-10, 11:45 AM
Keppie
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I replace car batteries every 3 years regardless of whether are acting up or not.
Old 01-03-10, 01:47 PM
ecr527
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Keppie
I replace car batteries every 3 years regardless of whether are acting up or not.
I've done this on my past car too. With my luck, the battery usually goes dead at the most inopportune time.

Do all OEM Lexus batteries have the 84 month warranty? That's actually pretty good, prorated or not.
Old 01-03-10, 07:07 PM
albis350
Driver

To all of those wondering how this 84 months warranty works in our batteries here I found a chart that explains how the discount or free replacing works

http://www.lossvcmenu.com/batterywarranty.html

click the link and scroll down to the bottom of the page, interting website by the way it popped out in a google search