IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Puddle light mods

Old 12-20-09, 11:26 AM
LTDQTY
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Puddle light mods

I am planning to DIY Puddle light under my car. I need some from the expert I need to know where is the easiest way to get access to tap it into the maplight / door light or the mirror puddle light and what colour of wire are they... ohh and also if I am installing 10x12vx30cm long under my car; do I need to upgrade my puddle fuse into a higher amp? have any done this before? here is a link of what I want to do:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pz8BM...eature=youtube gdata

Last edited by LTDQTY; 01-19-10 at 01:14 PM.
Old 01-19-10, 01:14 PM
LTDQTY
Driver School Candidate

bump
Old 01-19-10, 01:18 PM
quintmann
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

thats alot of lights! idk about having them under the front and rear if your only going to be going to the sides

have u seen the VIP style puddle lights? they look pretty cool but im sure the way in the video will light the ground up more
Old 01-19-10, 04:31 PM
Jetfire
Royale with cheese

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would just get the vip puddle lights from trendytodd.
Old 01-19-10, 05:26 PM
JoshIS408
- - G T V I P - -

Received 117 Likes on 44 Posts

I just got mine working trendytodd helped me get the installation perfect.

You need to tap the negative dome light wire on the driver side. This will make it work when the car is locked / unlocked. and when the doors are opened or closed
Old 01-19-10, 06:09 PM
fknISC808
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

i would say to talk to trendytodd or Rev-01

this is the kind of products they put out. High Quality! the best place to go to on the islands.

Old 01-20-10, 08:21 AM
LTDQTY
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by JoshIS408
I just got mine working trendytodd helped me get the installation perfect.

You need to tap the negative dome light wire on the driver side. This will make it work when the car is locked / unlocked. and when the doors are opened or closed
VIP looks awsome, but I got my strip already, Josh do you know what colour of wire is the "negative dome light wire?
Old 01-20-10, 08:55 AM
Phil888
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

quick question, you guys didnt get another switch to control the light so it doesnt stay on all the time?
Old 01-20-10, 09:58 AM
fknISC808
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LTDQTY
VIP looks awsome, but I got my strip already, Josh do you know what colour of wire is the "negative dome light wire?
Originally Posted by Phil888
quick question, you guys didnt get another switch to control the light so it doesnt stay on all the time?
curious to know what it is your trying to wire up to? usually people wire up there lights to their mirrors. if you do it that way, this DIY will tell you what wires to tap into
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...r-handles.html
Old 01-20-10, 01:10 PM
LTDQTY
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by fknISC808
curious to know what it is your trying to wire up to? usually people wire up there lights to their mirrors. if you do it that way, this DIY will tell you what wires to tap into
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...r-handles.html

wow that cool!! that will be my next light mod, but to tap my wires, anyother way to tap it? cuz I would have to open door panel...anyone?
Old 01-20-10, 02:10 PM
JoshIS408
- - G T V I P - -

Originally Posted by Phil888

My dome light switch turns them on and off. I have the dome courtesy light set so they turn on when i open the door and turn off (Fade as well) when i shut the door. Same thing goes when i unlock the car they go on and when i lock it they go off. No switch needed at all. Here in cali its illegal to have them on all the time. But if im feeling daring while i am driving, if i turn on my dome light via the on switch the puddle lights will also go on. Ill get a vid up in a few.
Old 01-20-10, 02:31 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

My dome light switch turns them on and off. I have the dome courtesy light set so they turn on when i open the door and turn off (Fade as well) when i shut the door. Same thing goes when i unlock the car they go on and when i lock it they go off. No switch needed at all. Here in cali its illegal to have them on all the time. But if im feeling daring while i am driving, if i turn on my dome light via the on switch the puddle lights will also go on. Ill get a vid up in a few.
i like the idea of what you've done. assuming i do this mod, i'm wondering how this idea would work or not: if the puddle lights are tied to the door light switches (ie the left side puddle lights turn on if you open the left side doors, but the right side puddle lights remain off)....hmmm.....
Old 01-20-10, 02:34 PM
JoshIS408
- - G T V I P - -

Originally Posted by Stormforge
i like the idea of what you've done. assuming i do this mod, i'm wondering how this idea would work or not: if the puddle lights are tied to the door light switches (ie the left side puddle lights turn on if you open the left side doors, but the right side puddle lights remain off)....hmmm.....
Thats why the wire is tapped into the negative dome light wire. If either door is opened, the dome light turns on thus both sides will be lit. Once the doors shut the dome light turns off and the puddle lights go off with it. Same thing with the lock . unlock. The courtesy dome light is key

Door light switches would work for one side only, tried this also. If you just want them to turn on and off when you open the doors for both sides, tap into the illuminating plate wires on the driver side of the door. This will make both sides glow when you open and close the doors. This however will not work with he unlock / Lock with he key fob.

PS: The dome light wire is not located inside the dome light itself. Its located near the driver side knee air bag. If you guys buy trendytods kit, it comes with instructions on how to install them.

I am not using his kit though, im using another one. Trendytodd helped me get the correct wires to tap.

Edit video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LrFPZF5BzmI

Its kinda crappy quailty becuase i used my cell phone. Ill a more indepth video later on when i gert some free time at night. Both sides do infact light up

In case you guys are wondering about the beeps with the alarm, i had a custom module built into the factory oem alarm that adds a tilt sensor( if car gets jacked up alarm will go off), glass(window smash = alarm goes off) and shock protector( ding = alarm goes off). I got rid of the Aftermarket alarm becuase it wasn't doing what i wanted it to do.

Last edited by JoshIS408; 01-20-10 at 02:52 PM.
Old 01-20-10, 02:53 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Thats why the wire is tapped into the negative dome light wire. If either door is opened, the dome light turns on thus both sides will be lit. Once the doors shut the dome light turns off and the puddle lights go off with it. Same thing with the lock . unlock. The courtesy dome light is key

Door light switches would work for one side only, tried this also. If you just want them to turn on and off when you open the doors for both sides, tap into the illuminating plate wires on the driver side of the door. This will make both sides glow when you open and close the doors. This however will not work with he unlock / Lock with he key fob.

PS: The dome light wire is not located inside the dome light itself. Its located near the driver side knee air bag. If you guys buy trendytods kit, it comes with instructions on how to install them.

I am not using his kit though, im using another one. Trendytodd helped me get the correct wires to tap.

Edit video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LrFPZF5BzmI

Its kinda crappy quailty becuase i used my cell phone. Ill a more indepth video later on when i gert some free time at night. Both sides do infact light up
cool! thx for the tip. so i can tap into the dome light AND the illuminating plate wires at the same time? just want to confirm this....
Old 01-20-10, 02:56 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

In case you guys are wondering about the beeps with the alarm, i had a custom module built into the factory oem alarm that adds a tilt sensor( if car gets jacked up alarm will go off), glass(window smash = alarm goes off) and shock protector( ding = alarm goes off). I got rid of the Aftermarket alarm becuase it wasn't doing what i wanted it to do.
what? custom module for the oem factory alarm?!? do tell us more! afaik, only the 2010 RX has the optional oem glass breakage sensor (which i have bought and installed on my RX450h). but tilt and shock sensor? dayam, how much did this set you back and will this module also work for the 3GS? details please!!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Puddle light mods