Go Back   Club Lexus Forums > Lexus Model Forums > IS Models > IS - Second Generation
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Puddle light mods

Reply
 
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-20-09, 11:26 AM   #1
LTDQTY
Driver School Candidate
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Vancouver BC
Posts: 49
Default Puddle light mods

I am planning to DIY Puddle light under my car. I need some from the expert I need to know where is the easiest way to get access to tap it into the maplight / door light or the mirror puddle light and what colour of wire are they... ohh and also if I am installing 10x12vx30cm long under my car; do I need to upgrade my puddle fuse into a higher amp? have any done this before? here is a link of what I want to do:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pz8BM...eature=youtube gdata
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Club Lexus!

Last edited by LTDQTY; 01-19-10 at 01:14 PM..
LTDQTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-10, 01:14 PM   #2
LTDQTY
Driver School Candidate
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Vancouver BC
Posts: 49
Default

bump
LTDQTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-10, 01:18 PM   #3
quintmann
Pole Position
Trader Score: (0)
 
quintmann's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Glendale, CA
Posts: 371
Default

thats alot of lights! idk about having them under the front and rear if your only going to be going to the sides

have u seen the VIP style puddle lights? they look pretty cool but im sure the way in the video will light the ground up more
__________________
-Jonathan
'08 IS 250
Smokey Granite Mica, Lexus GFX kit, OEM Trunk Lip spoiler, Black Pearl Emblems, Eibach lowering springs, Smoked Taillights, 6500K HID, Bronze 5axis S5:F 20" Wheels, Joe Z intake, F-Sport Brake Upgrade, F-Sport Lower Intake Box, Bronze One-off rear lower spoiler, LED Back-lit Door Handles
1955 Ford Thunderbird
Twin Turbo 6.0L 1150hp, One-off Chassis, AirRide Technologies Shockwaves, Duel Intercoolers, 18x8 and 19x12 inch billet wheels
quintmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-10, 04:31 PM   #4
Jetfire
Royale with cheese
Trader Score: (3)
 
Jetfire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 4,074
Default

I would just get the vip puddle lights from trendytodd.
__________________
Haruhiko Tanahashi(Chief engineer):"when I was thinking of the LFA's character I was thinking of the whole women. A woman can be passionate and elegant, but she is also capable of being quite exciting and has a need to be dominated"
Jetfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-10, 05:26 PM   #5
JoshIS408
Lexus Champion
Trader Score: (10)
 
JoshIS408's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Bay Area CA
Posts: 4,454
JoshV408
Default

I just got mine working trendytodd helped me get the installation perfect.

Click the image to open in full size.

You need to tap the negative dome light wire on the driver side. This will make it work when the car is locked / unlocked. and when the doors are opened or closed
__________________
#GTVIP #GTVIPSTYLE


SF KREW | SONICMS | WEKSOS INDUSTRIES | SPEED ELEMENT | 515 AUTOBODY | FUNCTION FORM | ACCUAIR | JUNCTION PRODUCE GERMAN AUTOBODY | LX-Mode | WALD | VIP MODULAR | RSV FORGED |


Lifes Simple...You Make Choices and You Dont Look Back
JoshIS408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-10, 06:09 PM   #6
fknISC808
Lexus Champion
Trader Score: (1)
 
fknISC808's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Hawaii
Posts: 1,759
mrbowman808 KngKamehameha808 mrbowman808
Send a message via AIM to fknISC808 Send a message via Yahoo to fknISC808
Default

i would say to talk to trendytodd or Rev-01

this is the kind of products they put out. High Quality! the best place to go to on the islands.
Click the image to open in full size.
Click the image to open in full size.
__________________
| 2k10 IS250C | Deep Matte Blue | Lux + Nav | Air Runner | AccuAir | ViAir 444c | Dakota Digital | TunedParts Rigid Bar | Megan |
| Work Meisters S1R BBF | Nokya 2500k | V-Led DRL's | V-Led Parking Lights | V-Led Dome/Puddle Lights | Junction Produce |

My Build Thread:fknISC808's Comback Build

fknISC808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-10, 08:21 AM   #7
LTDQTY
Driver School Candidate
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Vancouver BC
Posts: 49
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshIS408 View Post
I just got mine working trendytodd helped me get the installation perfect.

Click the image to open in full size.

You need to tap the negative dome light wire on the driver side. This will make it work when the car is locked / unlocked. and when the doors are opened or closed
VIP looks awsome, but I got my strip already, Josh do you know what colour of wire is the "negative dome light wire?
LTDQTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-10, 08:55 AM   #8
Phil888
Lexus Champion
Trader Score: (1)
 
Phil888's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: California
Posts: 2,996
Default

quick question, you guys didnt get another switch to control the light so it doesnt stay on all the time?
__________________
Phil888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-10, 09:58 AM   #9
fknISC808
Lexus Champion
Trader Score: (1)
 
fknISC808's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Hawaii
Posts: 1,759
mrbowman808 KngKamehameha808 mrbowman808
Send a message via AIM to fknISC808 Send a message via Yahoo to fknISC808
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTDQTY View Post
VIP looks awsome, but I got my strip already, Josh do you know what colour of wire is the "negative dome light wire?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil888 View Post
quick question, you guys didnt get another switch to control the light so it doesnt stay on all the time?
curious to know what it is your trying to wire up to? usually people wire up there lights to their mirrors. if you do it that way, this DIY will tell you what wires to tap into
http://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-s...r-handles.html
__________________
| 2k10 IS250C | Deep Matte Blue | Lux + Nav | Air Runner | AccuAir | ViAir 444c | Dakota Digital | TunedParts Rigid Bar | Megan |
| Work Meisters S1R BBF | Nokya 2500k | V-Led DRL's | V-Led Parking Lights | V-Led Dome/Puddle Lights | Junction Produce |

My Build Thread:fknISC808's Comback Build

fknISC808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-10, 01:10 PM   #10
LTDQTY
Driver School Candidate
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Vancouver BC
Posts: 49
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fknISC808 View Post
curious to know what it is your trying to wire up to? usually people wire up there lights to their mirrors. if you do it that way, this DIY will tell you what wires to tap into
http://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-s...r-handles.html

wow that cool!! that will be my next light mod, but to tap my wires, anyother way to tap it? cuz I would have to open door panel...anyone?
LTDQTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-10, 02:10 PM   #11
JoshIS408
Lexus Champion
Trader Score: (10)
 
JoshIS408's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Bay Area CA
Posts: 4,454
JoshV408
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil888 View Post
quick question, you guys didnt get another switch to control the light so it doesnt stay on all the time?

My dome light switch turns them on and off. I have the dome courtesy light set so they turn on when i open the door and turn off (Fade as well) when i shut the door. Same thing goes when i unlock the car they go on and when i lock it they go off. No switch needed at all. Here in cali its illegal to have them on all the time. But if im feeling daring while i am driving, if i turn on my dome light via the on switch the puddle lights will also go on. Ill get a vid up in a few.
__________________
#GTVIP #GTVIPSTYLE


SF KREW | SONICMS | WEKSOS INDUSTRIES | SPEED ELEMENT | 515 AUTOBODY | FUNCTION FORM | ACCUAIR | JUNCTION PRODUCE GERMAN AUTOBODY | LX-Mode | WALD | VIP MODULAR | RSV FORGED |


Lifes Simple...You Make Choices and You Dont Look Back
JoshIS408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-10, 02:31 PM   #12
Stormforge
executive matchup
Trader Score: (0)
 
Stormforge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: BC
Posts: 5,775
Send a message via MSN to Stormforge
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshIS408 View Post
My dome light switch turns them on and off. I have the dome courtesy light set so they turn on when i open the door and turn off (Fade as well) when i shut the door. Same thing goes when i unlock the car they go on and when i lock it they go off. No switch needed at all. Here in cali its illegal to have them on all the time. But if im feeling daring while i am driving, if i turn on my dome light via the on switch the puddle lights will also go on. Ill get a vid up in a few.
i like the idea of what you've done. assuming i do this mod, i'm wondering how this idea would work or not: if the puddle lights are tied to the door light switches (ie the left side puddle lights turn on if you open the left side doors, but the right side puddle lights remain off)....hmmm.....
__________________

2008 Lexus GS 450h - Obsidian/Black (fully loaded Cdn version) - For GSh mod list, click here

2010 Lexus RX 450h - Aurora White Pearl/Black - Package C (Ultra Premium Package)

JDM fog light junkie
Stormforge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-10, 02:34 PM   #13
JoshIS408
Lexus Champion
Trader Score: (10)
 
JoshIS408's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Bay Area CA
Posts: 4,454
JoshV408
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormforge View Post
i like the idea of what you've done. assuming i do this mod, i'm wondering how this idea would work or not: if the puddle lights are tied to the door light switches (ie the left side puddle lights turn on if you open the left side doors, but the right side puddle lights remain off)....hmmm.....
Thats why the wire is tapped into the negative dome light wire. If either door is opened, the dome light turns on thus both sides will be lit. Once the doors shut the dome light turns off and the puddle lights go off with it. Same thing with the lock . unlock. The courtesy dome light is key

Door light switches would work for one side only, tried this also. If you just want them to turn on and off when you open the doors for both sides, tap into the illuminating plate wires on the driver side of the door. This will make both sides glow when you open and close the doors. This however will not work with he unlock / Lock with he key fob.

PS: The dome light wire is not located inside the dome light itself. Its located near the driver side knee air bag. If you guys buy trendytods kit, it comes with instructions on how to install them.

I am not using his kit though, im using another one. Trendytodd helped me get the correct wires to tap.

Edit video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LrFPZF5BzmI

Its kinda crappy quailty becuase i used my cell phone. Ill a more indepth video later on when i gert some free time at night. Both sides do infact light up

In case you guys are wondering about the beeps with the alarm, i had a custom module built into the factory oem alarm that adds a tilt sensor( if car gets jacked up alarm will go off), glass(window smash = alarm goes off) and shock protector( ding = alarm goes off). I got rid of the Aftermarket alarm becuase it wasn't doing what i wanted it to do.
__________________
#GTVIP #GTVIPSTYLE


SF KREW | SONICMS | WEKSOS INDUSTRIES | SPEED ELEMENT | 515 AUTOBODY | FUNCTION FORM | ACCUAIR | JUNCTION PRODUCE GERMAN AUTOBODY | LX-Mode | WALD | VIP MODULAR | RSV FORGED |


Lifes Simple...You Make Choices and You Dont Look Back

Last edited by JoshIS408; 01-20-10 at 02:52 PM..
JoshIS408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-10, 02:53 PM   #14
Stormforge
executive matchup
Trader Score: (0)
 
Stormforge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: BC
Posts: 5,775
Send a message via MSN to Stormforge
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshIS408 View Post
Thats why the wire is tapped into the negative dome light wire. If either door is opened, the dome light turns on thus both sides will be lit. Once the doors shut the dome light turns off and the puddle lights go off with it. Same thing with the lock . unlock. The courtesy dome light is key

Door light switches would work for one side only, tried this also. If you just want them to turn on and off when you open the doors for both sides, tap into the illuminating plate wires on the driver side of the door. This will make both sides glow when you open and close the doors. This however will not work with he unlock / Lock with he key fob.

PS: The dome light wire is not located inside the dome light itself. Its located near the driver side knee air bag. If you guys buy trendytods kit, it comes with instructions on how to install them.

I am not using his kit though, im using another one. Trendytodd helped me get the correct wires to tap.

Edit video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LrFPZF5BzmI

Its kinda crappy quailty becuase i used my cell phone. Ill a more indepth video later on when i gert some free time at night. Both sides do infact light up
cool! thx for the tip. so i can tap into the dome light AND the illuminating plate wires at the same time? just want to confirm this....
__________________

2008 Lexus GS 450h - Obsidian/Black (fully loaded Cdn version) - For GSh mod list, click here

2010 Lexus RX 450h - Aurora White Pearl/Black - Package C (Ultra Premium Package)

JDM fog light junkie
Stormforge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-10, 02:56 PM   #15
Stormforge
executive matchup
Trader Score: (0)
 
Stormforge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: BC
Posts: 5,775
Send a message via MSN to Stormforge
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshIS408 View Post
In case you guys are wondering about the beeps with the alarm, i had a custom module built into the factory oem alarm that adds a tilt sensor( if car gets jacked up alarm will go off), glass(window smash = alarm goes off) and shock protector( ding = alarm goes off). I got rid of the Aftermarket alarm becuase it wasn't doing what i wanted it to do.
what? custom module for the oem factory alarm?!? do tell us more! afaik, only the 2010 RX has the optional oem glass breakage sensor (which i have bought and installed on my RX450h). but tilt and shock sensor? dayam, how much did this set you back and will this module also work for the 3GS? details please!!!
__________________

2008 Lexus GS 450h - Obsidian/Black (fully loaded Cdn version) - For GSh mod list, click here

2010 Lexus RX 450h - Aurora White Pearl/Black - Package C (Ultra Premium Package)

JDM fog light junkie
Stormforge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-10, 02:56 PM
 
Reply
 
 
 

Tags
250, car, dome, forums, fuse, junction, lexus, light, lighting, lights, lock, produce, puddle, show, vled, wont, youtube

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:10 PM.

Join ClubLexus
Advertising


Copyright © 2000-2008 Internet Brands, Inc. All Rights Reserved
Privacy Policy | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | JOBS


Get all contact info

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.5.2