IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Puddle light mods

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-10, 03:02 PM
JoshIS408
- - G T V I P - -

Received 117 Likes on 44 Posts

^

For the tapping its one or the other. If you want it to ONLY light up when you open the doors and turn off when you close the doors, you tap into the sills. If you want it to turn on when the doors open and close and when you unlock / lock the car, or even get close to the car like your doing a keyless entery, just tap into the negative dome light wire.

As for the module, my local dealer contracts an alarm place to install there mobile trace for there Lexus'. I got in contact with there contractor and he was able to put the tilt sensor shock sensor and glass breakage sensor in. Installation took 2.5 hours and it cost ~ 300$ for everything installed. He also removed my old alarm and i just sold it for 200$, so it was pretty much 100$ for me to upgrade the oem alarm.

Last edited by JoshIS408; 01-20-10 at 03:09 PM.
Old 01-20-10, 03:09 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by JoshIS408
^

For the tapping its one or the other. If you want it to ONLY light up when you open the doors and turn off when you close the doors, you tap into the sills. If you want it to turn on when the doors open and close and when you unlock / lock the car, or even get close to the car like your doing a keyless entery, just tap into the negative dome light wire.

As for the module, my local dealer contracts an alarm place to install there mobile trace for there lexus'. I got in contact with there contractor and he was able to put the tilt sensor shock sensor and glass breakage sensor in. Installation took 2.5 hours and it cost ~ 300$ for everything installed. He also removed my own alarm and i just sold it for 200$, so it was pretty much 100$ for me to upgrade the oem alarm.
ok, understood on the tapping. thx.

if i lived closer to you, i would consider hiring your contractor to do the tilt/shock/glass sensor mod for sure. oem alarms just suck in terms of functionality. but that's a pretty good price you paid for modding the factory alarm. good job! hmm, i might have to find an excuse to drive down there to get this installed!
Old 01-20-10, 03:11 PM
JoshIS408
- - G T V I P - -

Thanks . Ive read all these stories about people 2is getting broken into and the alarm not going off. Especially since the car is my daily driver, just want to make sure it ha sa decent alarm. You should contact your dealer and ask them who installs there "Mobile Trace." If they tell you they contract someone, ask them for there phone number and im sure they will be able to upgrade the module.
Old 01-20-10, 03:20 PM
LTDQTY
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thats why the wire is tapped into the negative dome light wire. If either door is opened, the dome light turns on thus both sides will be lit. Once the doors shut the dome light turns off and the puddle lights go off with it. Same thing with the lock . unlock. The courtesy dome light is key

Door light switches would work for one side only, tried this also. If you just want them to turn on and off when you open the doors for both sides, tap into the illuminating plate wires on the driver side of the door. This will make both sides glow when you open and close the doors. This however will not work with he unlock / Lock with he key fob.

PS: The dome light wire is not located inside the dome light itself. Its located near the driver side knee air bag. If you guys buy trendytods kit, it comes with instructions on how to install them.

I am not using his kit though, im using another one. Trendytodd helped me get the correct wires to tap.

Edit video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LrFPZF5BzmI

Its kinda crappy quailty becuase i used my cell phone. Ill a more indepth video later on when i gert some free time at night. Both sides do infact light up

In case you guys are wondering about the beeps with the alarm, i had a custom module built into the factory oem alarm that adds a tilt sensor( if car gets jacked up alarm will go off), glass(window smash = alarm goes off) and shock protector( ding = alarm goes off). I got rid of the Aftermarket alarm becuase it wasn't doing what i wanted it to do.

nice write up, but I still need to know what colour of wires(negative dome light) I need to tap my wires, Josh: can you check for me pls
Old 01-20-10, 03:23 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks . Ive read all these stories about people 2is getting broken into and the alarm not going off. Especially since the car is my daily driver, just want to make sure it ha sa decent alarm. You should contact your dealer and ask them who installs there "Mobile Trace." If they tell you they contract someone, ask them for there phone number and im sure they will be able to upgrade the module.
yeah, i'll ask my dealer the next time i go pay them a visit. this is definitely one mod that should have came with the car.
Old 01-23-10, 08:07 AM
icyfreakas
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by fknISC808
i would say to talk to trendytodd or Rev-01

this is the kind of products they put out. High Quality! the best place to go to on the islands.

Are the dots from the side mirror LEDS?
Old 02-01-10, 11:02 AM
fknISC808
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by icyfreakas
Are the dots from the side mirror LEDS?
The puddle lights arent from the side mirror lights, but can tap into the wiring so the come on with the lights.
Old 02-01-10, 11:53 AM
JoshIS408
- - G T V I P - -

the side mirror could have leds if you replaced the bulb (DIY on this board) if thats wut your asking.
Old 02-01-10, 09:01 PM
Jetfire
Royale with cheese

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Stormforge
yeah, i'll ask my dealer the next time i go pay them a visit. this is definitely one mod that should have came with the car.
if you go to dealer before me, can you let me know? i wanna get it done too.
Old 11-23-11, 07:09 AM
CCJ22
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just got mine working trendytodd helped me get the installation perfect.

You need to tap the negative dome light wire on the driver side. This will make it work when the car is locked / unlocked. and when the doors are opened or closed
My dome light switch turns them on and off. I have the dome courtesy light set so they turn on when i open the door and turn off (Fade as well) when i shut the door. Same thing goes when i unlock the car they go on and when i lock it they go off. No switch needed at all. Here in cali its illegal to have them on all the time. But if im feeling daring while i am driving, if i turn on my dome light via the on switch the puddle lights will also go on. Ill get a vid up in a few.
Thats why the wire is tapped into the negative dome light wire. If either door is opened, the dome light turns on thus both sides will be lit. Once the doors shut the dome light turns off and the puddle lights go off with it. Same thing with the lock . unlock. The courtesy dome light is key

Door light switches would work for one side only, tried this also. If you just want them to turn on and off when you open the doors for both sides, tap into the illuminating plate wires on the driver side of the door. This will make both sides glow when you open and close the doors. This however will not work with he unlock / Lock with he key fob.

PS: The dome light wire is not located inside the dome light itself. Its located near the driver side knee air bag. If you guys buy trendytods kit, it comes with instructions on how to install them.

I am not using his kit though, im using another one. Trendytodd helped me get the correct wires to tap.

Edit video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LrFPZF5BzmI

Its kinda crappy quailty becuase i used my cell phone. Ill a more indepth video later on when i gert some free time at night. Both sides do infact light up

In case you guys are wondering about the beeps with the alarm, i had a custom module built into the factory oem alarm that adds a tilt sensor( if car gets jacked up alarm will go off), glass(window smash = alarm goes off) and shock protector( ding = alarm goes off). I got rid of the Aftermarket alarm becuase it wasn't doing what i wanted it to do.
Originally Posted by LTDQTY
nice write up, but I still need to know what colour of wires(negative dome light) I need to tap my wires, Josh: can you check for me pls
Anyone know where said wire is aka the color wire near the knee?
Old 01-07-12, 11:44 AM
CCJ22
Lexus Champion

Ok and bump for answers to my post above.
Old 01-07-12, 04:08 PM
Sffd103
Fire Slayer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Mine are wired as most to the doors and when I disarm my alarm but I added a switch so I drive with them on sometimes.
Attached Thumbnails Puddle light mods-d-mance-11.jpg   Puddle light mods-derrick-mance-brick-shot.jpg   Puddle light mods-switches.jpg  
Old 01-07-12, 06:31 PM
RDIS250AWD
Lead Lap

Received 91 Likes on 38 Posts

Too many lights imo. Love the front lip though
Old 01-07-12, 07:02 PM
CCJ22
Lexus Champion

Yea, what wire taps into the dome lights? That's all I need to know
Old 01-07-12, 08:38 PM
HyperMKIV
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Sffd103
Mine are wired as most to the doors and when I disarm my alarm but I added a switch so I drive with them on sometimes.
i bought factory switches for those blanks...
lens wiper and window shade switches...
make it look stock...

Quick Reply: Puddle light mods