IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

DIY Carbon Fiber Overlay with Trim Removal

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-09, 01:27 PM
YooNiBaLL
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AeroTect
Thanks for putting this together. Should help people with their own installs.

As far as maintenance, water is good for cleaning, just be gentle on any exposed edges. You should also use something like plexus or mcguires quick detailer to maintain the film.
Just something I want to say... If people take off the chrome piece (center console) like I did, you guys ought to make the cut out with more leeway because I felt that made installing the door trims MUCH easier because I was able to cut whatever I needed. However, with the center console, I had to work solely with what I had. Anyways, the product is great! Thanks a lot!
Old 12-18-09, 02:44 PM
AeroTect
Former Sponsor

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by YooNiBaLL
Just something I want to say... If people take off the chrome piece (center console) like I did, you guys ought to make the cut out with more leeway because I felt that made installing the door trims MUCH easier because I was able to cut whatever I needed. However, with the center console, I had to work solely with what I had. Anyways, the product is great! Thanks a lot!
You know, I personally like the option of being able to wrap everything fully, however for the DIY'er we wanted to simplify the installation as much as possible. We felt that gutting the console might be a little more than some would want to do...

That said, we do what we can, and there is a comment box on our shopping cart. If anybody wants something customized and it is fairly simple we can try to accommodate. For instance I know somebody requested removing the seat warmer control cut-out here in the forums, and we would be happy to do so... Once you get to a point of having to trim everything yourself, than bulk film might be an option for that customer... Just order a couple feet and do the whole thing custom.

So to sum it up... anybody that wants a certain cut-our removed, please request that in the comment box. Adding "Attn: Jason," at the beginning will certainly make sure the order gets to me. Otherwise, go with the simplicity of the pre-cut kit as it is.

Thanks for the feedback!
Old 12-18-09, 09:27 PM
SGMIS3
Pole Position

the cut around the chrome piece doesnt look too good in the pictures... Might be better to buy a roll of 3M CF vinyl from ebay for around $39 and trim it yourself.
Old 12-18-09, 10:16 PM
AeroTect
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by IS350ty
the cut around the chrome piece doesnt look too good in the pictures... Might be better to buy a roll of 3M CF vinyl from ebay for around $39 and trim it yourself.
Or you could purchase the same piece from us for $30.00. Either way, it's up to the individual installing the product. The pre-cut kit requires less work, and you are guaranteed to have the weave running the same direction. The bulk piece of film is definitely available. Either way we also include the applicator squeegee, and in the case of the kit we include the razor knife for the trimming... we might expand this to the bulk sheet in the future.

you can purchase the bulk film here, and if you are ordering 2 feet or more (or coupling with other products), shipping is free on orders over $59.00
Old 12-21-09, 06:58 AM
aznpapaya
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by YooNiBaLL
I actually didn't know how to do pull it off. I didn't want to risk breaking anything so I just put it on the lid while it was still attached to the unit. It's not too bad though.

so you measured and cut a piece off and just glue it to the lid? can you see the old wood-panel when the lid is open?

Last edited by aznpapaya; 12-21-09 at 07:01 AM.
Old 12-21-09, 10:05 AM
isthrizzy
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Let's see, I just started some pieces this weekend using the bulk film. It was more of a process b/c I had to take of my Neffy wrap and then remove the old adhesive with Goo Gone.

I would say if you plan to take everything apart, just buy the bulk film. I didn't need any sqeegie or special tool, just some nice sharp razors and a blow dryer.
Old 12-21-09, 11:12 AM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

not bad with the overlay. aerotect sure got them really close to exact. nice to see it turned out well!
Old 12-21-09, 10:07 PM
xuningshen
Lexus Test Driver

anybody have a picture of the black carbon overlay in the tan interior?
Old 12-22-09, 08:55 AM
AeroTect
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by xuningshen
anybody have a picture of the black carbon overlay in the tan interior?
No pics here, however if you're close enough, we can show you some samples.
Old 12-22-09, 02:18 PM
YooNiBaLL
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by aznpapaya
so you measured and cut a piece off and just glue it to the lid? can you see the old wood-panel when the lid is open?
Mine was pre-cut. So I just used the pre-cut thing. : P
Old 01-05-10, 11:02 PM
santacruz
Driver

Just did my interior with this same 3m dinoc film from aerotect. I ordered bulk film though as I prefer to be able to manipulate the install a bit more than with a pre-cut kit. I am very happy with the results and more so, this material. It is extremely simple to work with as soon as you heat it up a little bit and it looks fantastic! Here are a few pics I just snapped with my cell.

Last edited by santacruz; 01-05-10 at 11:43 PM.
Old 01-06-10, 01:01 PM
IS-K
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by santacruz
Just did my interior with this same 3m dinoc film from aerotect. I ordered bulk film though as I prefer to be able to manipulate the install a bit more than with a pre-cut kit. I am very happy with the results and more so, this material. It is extremely simple to work with as soon as you heat it up a little bit and it looks fantastic! Here are a few pics I just snapped with my cell.

@santacruz really nice work. Your interior really turned out nice!! Just curious did you cut/mod the shifter? It looks a little lower than stock, unless it's just the camera angle.
Old 01-06-10, 01:12 PM
santacruz
Driver

Nah that is just the camera angle...but now you've got me thinking about shortening it. haha
Old 01-06-10, 01:33 PM
rebs
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by santacruz
You did a good job. I think the bulk film might be a better option. The pre-cut stuff is great, but in talking with some other people there are 2 primary areas that just don't quite get covered completely (Cup holder lid, and rear edge of center console). (see pictures in previous posts)

I believe Jason is sending me a new center piece (due to some of the cutouts), but I think I'm probably going to go Neffy Wrap. I love this 3M stuff, but the precut stuff for the center console seems like it needs a little more play in a couple areas.
Old 01-06-10, 02:57 PM
AeroTect
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by rebs
You did a good job. I think the bulk film might be a better option. The pre-cut stuff is great, but in talking with some other people there are 2 primary areas that just don't quite get covered completely (Cup holder lid, and rear edge of center console). (see pictures in previous posts)

I believe Jason is sending me a new center piece (due to some of the cutouts), but I think I'm probably going to go Neffy Wrap. I love this 3M stuff, but the precut stuff for the center console seems like it needs a little more play in a couple areas.
Hi Rebs, yes your replacement was sent out. Sorry about the mis-cut.

You can get the bulk film from us as well, and I now have the options to remove all the center console cut-outs for more control of your installation.

As with anything, a pre-cut kit will allow a little less control over your installation, but it is a little easier.

As far as the rear edge of the center console, it does go all the way. If for some reason anybody falls a little short here (probably due to not lining up correctly), just lift the film back a little, heat the film up with a hair dryer, and give a real small stretch to get it to go all the way back. Don't overstretch, as it may distort the weave.

Hope this helps.

Quick Reply: DIY Carbon Fiber Overlay with Trim Removal