IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

How hard is it to install HID?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-09, 10:28 AM
rscott22
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question How hard is it to install HID?

Hey guys My car is very basic and I would like something to bling it up a little. I was looking for HID and came across these:

http://www.wotm .com/halohidkit.html#

I am new to the HID world so im not sure if these are even a good brand or not. If someone could help me out here I would appreciate it.

Thanks,
Ryan
Old 12-09-09, 10:53 AM
Jetfire
Royale with cheese

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

it's pretty easy to install the hids, just need a 10mm socket and a ratchet.

first you pop off the plastic engine covers. then you ned to unbolt the intake box. and the windshield fluid reservoir tube(just yank it out)

how neat you want everything to look is what takes the most time.

here's the install thread

you should just buy HIDs from the vendors on this site. pretty great prices. HIDextra sells theirs for $60.

I personally went with the xtreme kit from xenondepot.
Old 12-09-09, 11:00 AM
hybridanim
Lead Lap

+1 for xtreme kit from xenondepot
Old 12-09-09, 11:14 AM
JDKane527
Lexus Champion

I think he's talking about HID fogs. You may have to end up taking off your front bumper, unless you can work in the side fenders.
Old 12-09-09, 11:24 AM
rscott22
Pole Position

Thanks for all the info so far guys one more thing though:

1. How durable are these?

2. I have no idea what type a bulb I need for my low beams I think H11????

If someone could let me know I would really appreciate it!
Old 12-09-09, 11:33 AM
ScKcBc
Lexus Test Driver

get the kit from ddm-tuning.com they have a lifetime warranty and have the best price online. I've bought 5 kits from them so far. I just put their kit in my fogs actually, did it right through the plastic fender wells. The whole thing took 15-20 mins
Old 12-09-09, 11:45 AM
ChrISF
Lexus Champion

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

its ridiculously hard...i'de say rocket science. you definitely don't want to do it yourself.
Old 12-09-09, 11:47 AM
radicalrev
Lexus Champion

Yes, low beam is H11. Durable? Hard to say, but they at least have warranty on the kit.

There are a couple of CL Vendors HIDEXTRA and XenonDepot that carries them. Best if you buy from them in case anything goes wrong.
Old 12-09-09, 11:50 AM
350nub
Pole Position

Originally Posted by chrIS250
its ridiculously hard...i'de say rocket science. you definitely don't want to do it yourself.
Really? Or are you being childish and sarcastic?

To the OP, it is fairly simple, just follow the DIY thread someone post earlier and you will be fine.

I suck at mechanic stuff but I still manage to install it.
Old 12-09-09, 12:25 PM
XenonDepot
Former Sponsor

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

Hi,

You would need to get the h11 fitment to upgrade the fogs on the IS. Installation is literally plug+play in a sense that you will not have to cut, splice, tap, etc... any wires. You either need to remove the front bumper or some customers have managed to install by going through the fender well.

Steve
Old 12-09-09, 12:40 PM
rscott22
Pole Position

Originally Posted by XenonDepot
Hi,

You would need to get the h11 fitment to upgrade the fogs on the IS. Installation is literally plug+play in a sense that you will not have to cut, splice, tap, etc... any wires. You either need to remove the front bumper or some customers have managed to install by going through the fender well.

Steve
Hey I need HID for my headlights not my fog lights. I was planning on buying them from you since everyone recomends it. Can you PM me a price for a 08 Lexus IS250 low beam headlight HID's.

Thanks
Old 12-09-09, 01:59 PM
shui3000
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RpmSteve
get the kit from ddm-tuning.com they have a lifetime warranty and have the best price online. I've bought 5 kits from them so far. I just put their kit in my fogs actually, did it right through the plastic fender wells. The whole thing took 15-20 mins
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DDM HID's have a lifetime warranty and they have a kit for only $30!!! I just installed some in my car two weeks ago. If anything goes wrong, just call them up and they'll send you a new one.

As for the ease of install, it's harder than people are saying it is. I just did it two weeks ago, and it took a few hours with me and someone else who has installed hid's on other cars and motorcycles.

The install guide is ok, it's missing some things. use both club lexus's install guide and my.is install guide. the my.is install guide pinpoints where the bolts are.

one thing both of them are missing is a more elaborate how to of taking out the airbox:
-loosen the nut that holds the clamp to the airhose and unclip the sensor
-unclamp the top half of the airbox as if you were changing the air filter
-take off the top of the airbox and pull out from the airhose
-now the bottom half is where i got confused because the instructions said nothing of this.
-the bottom half is connected to a snorkel which brings in air from the front center of the car. the snorkel is held in by a bolt and a clip which you have to pry with a screwdriver. you MUST remove both the snorkel and the bottom half of the airbox at the same time.
-unbolt and unclip the snorkel, and unbolt the airbox (tricky because you need a ratchet extention, i was lucky enough to be in my dad's garage where he has one).
-pull out the airbox and snorkel STRAIGHT UP (there's a two inch stick attached at the bottom of the airbox that goes into a rubber seal, so it feels like it's stuck in place, just pull hard up)

Another things was the dust panel.
-drill a 1 inch hole (buy a 1 inch bit, don't cheap out)
-on the inside are these grid pattern extensions, use cutting pliers to snip them out (i couldn't figure how to get rid of them so i used a million different tools and cutting pliers worked the best)
-remove the existing bulb by twisting counter-clockwise. install hid bulb by twisting clockwise

use a sealant on the outside (i used silicon caulk)

for the windshield wiper tube, just pull straight up

store your panels somewhere, no point in having them in your car once you've taken them off.

to summarize: buy ddm (they're the best deal i've found), do it yourself, it's not that bad now that you have information that fills in the blanks. oh, and buy 6000k, you won't regret it.
Old 12-09-09, 02:00 PM
JDKane527
Lexus Champion

'08 2IS should come with HIDs from factory as standard, unless you got it special ordered without.
HIDs became standard from '07 on.
Old 12-09-09, 02:03 PM
shui3000
Pole Position

oh, and another thing is where to put the ballasts, which is a matter of choice. just put the ballast anywhere where the wires don't get in the way and don't pull at the grommet
Old 12-09-09, 02:06 PM
shui3000
Pole Position

Originally Posted by stonefan52
'08 2IS should come with HIDs from factory as standard, unless you got it special ordered without.
HIDs became standard from '07 on.
they most certainly do not. why do people keep saying this? look it up. it's never been a standard feature.

Quick Reply: How hard is it to install HID?