This is crazy. I think this should be sticky-ed
Old 02-12-10, 10:30 AM
silentbob
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by aQuarius26
I have the Mobile-HID kit
http://s3.excoboard.com/forums/4618/...795/122208.jpg

As for the "Relay harnesses" I'm not certain... All I know is I hooked it up just like muzzman1's thread... (Just like many others here on CL)
I'm pretty sure the Mobile-HID kit did not have a relay harness. But, I have no idea if that even matters or not...
Old 02-12-10, 12:55 PM
aQuarius26
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by trixxx519
so how much would it cost to fix, if your warranty went out?
this will happen even if you mount the ballast somewhere else?
i was going to install the hid kit i got from HIDXTRA today...damn
I just want to re-iterate, this is just the conclusion I've come to with my research, and the similarities between other members similar problems. It has not been proven that HID ballasts are the culprit at this point.
Old 02-12-10, 01:06 PM
XenonDepot
Former Sponsor

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

lobuxracer is most likely correct. I have come across this type of issue on a different forum (not one of our HID kits). The ballast was causing interference and moving the ballast to a different location solved the problem. Same type of issue as having your HID kits cause static or radio interference. Afermarket HID ballasts/bulbs are not created equaly.
Old 02-12-10, 01:12 PM
silentbob
Driver

Originally Posted by XenonDepot
lobuxracer is most likely correct. I have come across this type of issue on a different forum (not one of our HID kits). The ballast was causing interference and moving the ballast to a different location solved the problem. Same type of issue as having your HID kits cause static or radio interference. Afermarket HID ballasts/bulbs are not created equaly.
Thanks for the reply Steve! I think you just gave a lot of people here a sigh of relief.
Old 02-12-10, 01:28 PM
XenonDepot
Former Sponsor

If you search on the board you will find people complaining of radio interference and/or static as a result of using HIDs. It all stems from the same issue.
Old 02-12-10, 04:21 PM
trixxx519
Lexus Test Driver

^ lol i have to find a place to put the ballast on the driver's side, but its so cramp in there
any suggestion to where i should put the driver's side ballast?
Old 02-17-10, 08:19 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

I say ditch the HID system to play it safe and get a hold of some holy water for that crazy *** steering wheel
Old 02-18-10, 07:22 AM
XenonDepot
Former Sponsor

lol :-)
Old 07-27-10, 08:36 AM
tmax
Driver School Candidate

I am having the same problem in my 07 IS250. My headlight had to be changed out because of
a wreck and they put in a used headlight from another IS with a after market HID bulb.
Sometimes I noticed that that the aftermarket HID would flicker or just turn off.
I had to turn it off and turn it back on again to get it to work. A month after this my
power steering went out. It would some times come back on after I turn off and turn on the car and then after a little while the P/S would go out.
I took it to the dealer and the code which it was giving was
C1511 (Torque sensor circuit malfunction) and the dealer changed out the Power steering ECU and it worked well for a week and the P/S went out again. I came across this forum and told the dealer it could be the aftermarket HID interfering with the P/S but the dealer is saying that cannot be possible. The dealer wants to change out the power steering wiring harness which connects the Power steering ECU to the steering rack. My car is out of warranty too.
after reading others experiences I am now thinking of changing out the ballast and bulb. So do I have to change out the
power steering ECU again since the ballast could have affected the ECU or it could be
just interference which will go away when the HID is changed.
Any thoughts are appreciated.
Old 07-27-10, 01:44 PM
XenonDepot
Former Sponsor

Hey Bud,

Try taking the kit out and seeing what happens.

Steve
Old 07-29-10, 02:21 PM
tmax
Driver School Candidate

I have now removed the aftermarket bulb and so far its working now. Now if the problem occurs again I am thinking of changing out the ballast as well. The thing is I hadnt even
installed a aftermarket kit. I had only put in a aftermarket bulb onto my existing headlight
which has a factory ballast. Maybe its causing some electrical noise which is affecting the
torque sensor circuit and hence shutting down the P/S.
Old 09-17-10, 09:42 PM
ldc
Lexus Test Driver

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by aQuarius26
I just want to re-iterate, this is just the conclusion I've come to with my research, and the similarities between other members similar problems. It has not been proven that HID ballasts are the culprit at this point.
I had installed the ballast right next to the ecu/fuse box, but the next day took it and placed it where the window washer fluid box is. If it's a heat issue, i'm hoping the little distance helps. I'm not sure about eletromagnetic radiation though, is it's that bad, one would think doesn't matter where in the engine bay, it will be impacting.

Btw, does anyone wrap their ballasts up with some kind of material, or leave it bare?
Old 09-18-10, 03:11 AM
Jetfire
Royale with cheese

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ldc
I had installed the ballast right next to the ecu/fuse box, but the next day took it and placed it where the window washer fluid box is. If it's a heat issue, i'm hoping the little distance helps. I'm not sure about eletromagnetic radiation though, is it's that bad, one would think doesn't matter where in the engine bay, it will be impacting.

Btw, does anyone wrap their ballasts up with some kind of material, or leave it bare?
it's not the heat. you would need to surround it with something like a faraday cage.

the theory is that the electronics inside the ballast send signals which interfere with the electronics inside the ECU.
Old 09-20-10, 09:49 AM
XenonDepot
Former Sponsor

Some vendors that sell low grade products advise their customers to wrap tin foil around the ballasts to create a filter. You would not need to do this with a proper OEM quality HID kit.

Steve

Quick Reply: P/S Power Steering out?