IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

My $650 tire valve caps

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-09, 12:18 AM
Jetfire
Royale with cheese

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You said it was the getting cold. so it could be the valve cap metal contracted more than the aluminum and it pretty much clamped down on it. did you try warming up the valve cap? cause that's the first thing i would've done after the wd-40 didn't work and before the pliers.
Old 11-21-09, 06:18 AM
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I think a dremel with a cutting disk and 10 minutes could have saved the day here.

Regardless, your dealer should be ashamed of themselves. They ripped you off, and they 100% know it.
Old 11-21-09, 11:19 AM
07-IS350
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sgt_K
Something like this could also be covered, just play dumb about the caps not being OEM Lexus. Just something to think about.
Do you "teach" everyone you know to cheat and lie? Or only the folks at Club Lexus?

I guess it's also OK for Lexus dealers to cheat you since you seem to have that mindset!
Old 11-21-09, 06:39 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by 07-IS350
Do you "teach" everyone you know to cheat and lie? Or only the folks at Club Lexus?

I guess it's also OK for Lexus dealers to cheat you since you seem to have that mindset!
I think you'll find that he leearned that from the dealer, not the other way around!
Old 11-21-09, 06:49 PM
guitarmike
Rookie

Originally Posted by rule1223
i can't believe lexus do this to you
really? How is that lexus' fault? He readily admitted that he was at fault here for using aftermarket components right? so....where in line does that become lexus' problem? I just get frustrated with this mentality that lexus is expected to foot the bill for whatever comes our way. Listen, if he was a regular customer, I prolly would have waived the fee for pairing the sensors, especially since I was replacing the tires. HOwever, if he was taking the car elsewhere for service and only comes to me when it's a problem no one else can fix, then yeah, I'm gonna hit them up for my time. It's my exclusive knowledge/ablility that he needs to have his vehicle repaired. just my 2 cents.
Old 11-21-09, 09:58 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Of course all of this could have been avoided if the OP had just followed common sense and good practice and manually checked his tires once a month with a good tire gauge. Going six to nine months and not checking the tires is not good maintenance. Checking them once a month would not have allowd them to fuse on.
Old 11-21-09, 10:25 PM
iKenn
Just call me "Sprinkes"

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Thats weird, two of my caps went missing and i added some ugly plastic ones from autozone to replace it and at my next service the dealer switched them to OEM for free for me.
Old 11-21-09, 10:29 PM
EyeKutr

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

To the OP, I would not have let them do the swap for new sensors. you do know that the sensor itself can be mounted in the wheel inside using a strap (heck you can even duct tape it in the wheel inside) and then a regular old valve stem could have been used (you know the $2 one at the tire store). That would have taken care of it.
Old 11-22-09, 03:50 PM
Byprodrive
Lexus Champion

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by guitarmike
really? How is that lexus' fault? He readily admitted that he was at fault here for using aftermarket components right? so....where in line does that become lexus' problem? I just get frustrated with this mentality that lexus is expected to foot the bill for whatever comes our way. Listen, if he was a regular customer, I prolly would have waived the fee for pairing the sensors, especially since I was replacing the tires. HOwever, if he was taking the car elsewhere for service and only comes to me when it's a problem no one else can fix, then yeah, I'm gonna hit them up for my time. It's my exclusive knowledge/ablility that he needs to have his vehicle repaired. just my 2 cents.
So how much time does it take to cost $ 150
Old 11-23-09, 05:47 PM
lifeisgood
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Evitzee
Of course all of this could have been avoided if the OP had just followed common sense and good practice and manually checked his tires once a month with a good tire gauge. Going six to nine months and not checking the tires is not good maintenance. Checking them once a month would not have allowd them to fuse on.
On your point of "good practice" you are correct, the Lexus manual states that you should check your tire pressure at least once per month. Whether or not that would have been sufficient to avoid the problem is speculation. You sound as if you are stating a fact, when it is just your opinion.
Old 11-24-09, 07:27 PM
lifeisgood
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by EyeKutr
To the OP, I would not have let them do the swap for new sensors. you do know that the sensor itself can be mounted in the wheel inside using a strap (heck you can even duct tape it in the wheel inside) and then a regular old valve stem could have been used (you know the $2 one at the tire store). That would have taken care of it.
If you could figure out a way to securely fasten the sensors, I suppose it could work. But they are fairly bulky and I don't think that duct tape would work--picture the wheels spinning at up to 100 mph--given the centrifugal force, I'm guessing that the sensors would probably pull the tape right off the rims.
Old 11-24-09, 07:38 PM
Pnuge88
Lexus Champion

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

um yeah.. use to work at lexus. SCREW those metal valveestems.. lol but i was able to get them off with needle noses. PLUS you could have gotten TMPS sensors on EBAY for a hundred dollars lol you live and you learn
Old 11-25-09, 05:37 AM
RA030724
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

If you research TPMS sensors, you will find warnings about two things. First, only use aluminum or plastic caps as any other metal will corrode to the stem, especially in areas that use road salt. And the caps must have an internal gasket. Second, you must use TPMS approved valve cores that are plated - again for corrosion avoidance. This could cause an air leak. The old days of the mechanic ripping out the core, throwing on top of the changer, then grabbing any old one out of the pile is gone. Also, it is important to use a torque wrench to tighten the core to about 4 in/lb. I bought a Lisle 18810 for about $14 online to check mine. Since the stems are aluminum rather than the brass in a normal rubber stem, the chance of stripping is increased.
Attached Images  
Old 11-25-09, 11:45 AM
ScKcBc
Lexus Test Driver

Dremel and diamond cut wheel would have taken those off no problem. No way I would have broken them or let someone else to break them
Old 11-25-09, 03:32 PM
Aroach
Rookie

Damn, that is one expensive mistake. I did have someone from Americas Tire tell me to use aluminum stem caps because of the metal issues.

Quick Reply: My $650 tire valve caps