IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Need help with VSC and CEL

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-09, 05:00 PM
Zmiley
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help with VSC and CEL

Hi, i am new to the world of Lexus... We now own a 2006 Lexus IS 250. So far I have had nothing but trouble with a car that is known to be very reliable in just a few days of owning the vehicle.

We purchased this vehicle used a few days ago and it passed safety. There is powertrain warranty only as there is 55 000 miles on this American car.

The car was safetied and 3 recalls were done at the dealership while still in the old owner's name. To make a long story short, we got the car back and changed it over into my name. Next thing ya know, the power steering failed (PS light came on) as my wife was driving it (my 20 month old was in the car as well). They admitted to the F-up. Something to do with the power steering recall. One of the electrical connectors came loose. Imagine that... My family could have been killed. We had it towed to the dealership and they fixed the problem. I was told they were going to tow it back to us. Next thing ya know, some ancient guy pulls into our driveway driving the car back to us, without our permission. They said they were going to tow it. Anything could have happened on that hour long ride to our place.

When my wife started the car, the CEL was on and it said "check VSC." Having thigns to do, as we all do, she pulled out of the driveway and the car stalled. It continuously did this.. Started, then stalled after 3 seconds...

I called the dealership the next morning. The manager apologized and towed us a loaner vehicle and towed ours back to their facility, but after the end of the day today, they still couldn't figure it out.... Any ideas?

I can't wait for them to try to bill me on this too... Like I said, all this happened in their care. We hadn't touched or driven the car at all.. It went in for one thing, then came back with a slew of other issues.... Is this a normal thing with these cars? I fully checked this car. It isn't a lemon or any of the sort....

Any help would be appreciated....

Last edited by Zmiley; 11-20-09 at 05:09 PM.
Old 11-21-09, 07:35 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 255 Likes on 225 Posts

On this car, the VSC system is disabled whenever the "check engine" light comes on. The check VSC light should go off when the check engine light is reset.

Whenever the CEL light comes on, it means that one or more codes are stored in the computer. Ask your dealer which codes were set, as it might suggest what the problem is.

No, your experience is not a normal thing with these cars. My sense is that most people who had the batch of three recalls done came away pleased with the improvement in the steering, and with no problems related to the work. I suspect the lemon isn't your car, it's the dealership technician that has been working on it.
Old 11-22-09, 06:08 AM
Zmiley
Driver School Candidate

Thank you for your feedback, I really do appreciate it. I contacted the manager and advised him that i did not give him permission to have anyone drive my car back to us and that anything could have happened along the way ( this dealership is about an hour from us). He continuously apologized and promised to "make it up to me."

When I spoke to him at the end of the day on Friday, I was advised that they did not understand why it kept starting and then dying 3 seconds later and that they would like to keep it for the weekend... I suppose they have figured out the CEL and VSC problem, but they did not touch base on that aspect, so i am guessing at this point.

For the record, with powertrain warranty remaining, this should be covered, no? I mean, the last thing I want to do is fight about it with them when it is all said and done, even though I feel I am in the right and they conducted business in a poor manner. Thus far, they have taken care of us via sending us a 2010 RX 350 on a tow truck and then taking our IS250 away on the same tow truck and the manager does seem like a nice guy and wants to right this wrong. The last thing he said to me was, "you probably wont want to deal with us again, huh?" My response was that above all else, taking care of me was what was most important and that that goes a long way with me. If it has t**s or wheels, it's bound to give you some problems some time or other.

i do know that some dealers are better than other and some manufacturers as well.... How is Lexus in general? Are there any Canadians in the Ontario region that could steer me in the right direction to a recommended garage? Or dealer for that matter?
Old 11-24-09, 05:00 PM
Zmiley
Driver School Candidate

I didn't get much feedback at all here, but if it is any consolation, for those of you going through what i just went through, get your AF sensor checked! They replaced it free of charge + detailed and fueled the car up ( I only have a powertrain warranty ). They called it an act of goodwill.... Nice to finally have a good outcome with a dealership Car is running great now
Old 11-24-09, 06:45 PM
AZ JB
Advanced

Don't hesitate to write Lexus letters and emails. You'd be surprised how far that can go. Don't write them to the dealership, write them to Lexus directly. Don't hesitate to call them either. It can only help your cause.
Old 05-09-17, 07:57 PM
maff
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by AZ JB
Don't hesitate to write Lexus letters and emails. You'd be surprised how far that can go. Don't write them to the dealership, write them to Lexus directly. Don't hesitate to call them either. It can only help your cause.
what about approved used cars? sometimes the ac/dc converter is knackered i think so on this one i got
Old 05-09-17, 08:02 PM
Arrta
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think we have some sort of spam bot going on here. 3 posts, 2 of them being the same thing in the wrong forum, then this one resurrecting a 8 year old thread with some nonsense comment.