IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Where is the IS220D?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-09, 08:00 PM
Gtidan
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Where is the IS220D?

Hard to believe Lexus does not inport the IS220D rather than that stupid IS250H Hybrid.............which makes little sense at all. Maybe someday the hybrid will make sense but in the meantime those who think the Lexus/Prius vehicles are cool better learn to take a broader look and realize that to make that battery brings a huge carbon footprint to the game.

This could cost Lexus next year when MB, BMW, Audi and VW really make a push for clean diesel.

I have a 2010 Jetta diesel and I can mop the street with any Prius that gets in my way...........and the mileage in 'real' world driving is about the same. Only 1700 miles and I've already broken through 46mpg on a recent 165 mile trip cruising 70mph.

............ as you can see from my signature below I also have an IS250 which can on a good day return 32mpg on the highway.....

Just don't get Lexus on this one. Look at CAR or other European magazines and you'll find ad after ad for diesels and that includes Lexus.
Old 11-09-09, 08:34 PM
loroko
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default toyota & lexus

I'll go for Lexus or toyota Diesel anytime I'm just waiting .....

tundra 4x4 crew cab diesel mmmm new toy
Old 11-09-09, 08:40 PM
LexFather

The HS is not stupid, Lexus can't keep up with demand worldwide and are struggling to send cars here. In other words, IT IS A HIT.

The IS 220d is a good effort and led its class with torque. However it was never considered best in class as the engine was considered rough. Sales were initially brisk and have fallen off.

It will be one of a kind as Lexus completely moves to hybrids in Europe and the next IS will have a hybrid option. The IS 220d will be discontinued.
Old 11-09-09, 09:36 PM
shui3000
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bring is IS220d to the US!!!!!!! I would trade my car in, in a heartbeat. Diesels are the best! Far better than hybrids!
Old 11-10-09, 08:38 AM
pavelekPL
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

IS220d would be nice, but on the other hand 204hp on IS250 makes the car slow(or not that fast)...now imagine 177hp on IS220d
Old 11-10-09, 06:16 PM
Gtidan
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by pavelekPL
IS220d would be nice, but on the other hand 204hp on IS250 makes the car slow(or not that fast)...now imagine 177hp on IS220d
Spoken like a true 'gasser'. My Jetta Diesel has only 140 hp but a whopping 236 lb/ft of torque. Off the line I can smoke my IS250 up until about 50 when the Lexus goes by. Normal city driving in the diesel is a blast with all the torque.........believe me on this one.

I've only read one decent review on the IS250H so hard to figure why someone above thinks it's a hit. Newport Lexus has several to sell if you want one. Give them a call. According to my sales guy they are 'not' moving off the lot as expected.

Old 11-10-09, 06:21 PM
Gtidan
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
The HS is not stupid, Lexus can't keep up with demand worldwide and are struggling to send cars here. In other words, IT IS A HIT.
The IS 220d is a good effort and led its class with torque. However it was never considered best in class as the engine was considered rough. Sales were initially brisk and have fallen off.

It will be one of a kind as Lexus completely moves to hybrids in Europe and the next IS will have a hybrid option. The IS 220d will be discontinued.
Don't believe a word of it. The entire system is taken straight off the Camry Hybrid.....nothing new here. And the real world MPG is not even close to what people are actually getting. Europeans are not going to buy a battery hybrid when they can get a diesel for less money and easier on the planet as well.

To each their own I guess. Don't confuse me with someone who does not appreciate his Lexus........I love it. I just don't drive it much when the wife and I go out of town since we got the Jetta.
Old 11-10-09, 06:33 PM
lucasb7
Lead Lap

Sorry if I'm being rude but I have a few points to convey. First the HS250h has more torque than either the IS220d or your Jetta Diesel, so it should be just as fast if not faster right? The HS does 0-60 in 8.4 vs the Jetta's 8.6 (with an automatic), or 8.2 (with a manual). The HS does not get the close to 50 MPG the Jetta gets but it does carry a lot more luxury features. From what I have read on the HS forums, people have been getting what the EPA states.

The HS does use a similar driveline to the Camry Hybrid but has a much smoother gas-electric transition than the Camry.

In terms of environmental effects, the HS is is a SULEV which the Jetta can't touch. Toyota also has a recycling program in effect for all of its hybrids. Diesels are great but larger cars take more advantage of their high torque. Cars like the ML320 or X5 35d make perfect use of the torque because they are commonly used for towing and are plain heavy vehicles.

Last edited by lucasb7; 11-10-09 at 06:38 PM.
Old 11-10-09, 07:03 PM
Gtidan
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by lucasb7
Sorry if I'm being rude but I have a few points to convey. First the HS250h has more torque than either the IS220d or your Jetta Diesel, so it should be just as fast if not faster right? The HS does 0-60 in 8.4 vs the Jetta's 8.6 (with an automatic), or 8.2 (with a manual). The HS does not get the close to 50 MPG the Jetta gets but it does carry a lot more luxury features. From what I have read on the HS forums, people have been getting what the EPA states.

The HS does use a similar driveline to the Camry Hybrid but has a much smoother gas-electric transition than the Camry.

In terms of environmental effects, the HS is is a SULEV which the Jetta can't touch. Toyota also has a recycling program in effect for all of its hybrids. Diesels are great but larger cars take more advantage of their high torque. Cars like the ML320 or X5 35d make perfect use of the torque because they are commonly used for towing and are plain heavy vehicles.
Your not being rude your just expressing your opinion and I welcome it. Looks like you've done some homework coming up with the numbers on my Jetta. Look, when I jump into my Lexus after driving the Jetta it's like going from Motel 6 to a Hilton. No question about it. The extra 200 lbs the Lexus weighes in at over the Jetta is easily found in the quietness of the cabin. I'm not bagging on Lexus overal but rather just find it strange they would not join the diesel club so popular in Europe.

Again, I live and work in the Newport Beach, CA area and I've yet to see ONE IS250H on the road.

It will be interesting to see how MB, BMW, Audi and VW do next year when their add bliiz hits the airways on diesels. My salesman said it best when he said the hardest part of selling a diesel is to get the person to drive it first. if they drive it, the buy it over the gas version 80 percent of the time. His comments, not mine.
Old 11-10-09, 07:50 PM
shui3000
Pole Position

diesel should be more popular in the U.S. it's a shame it isn't. but for sure, lexus should have had the is220d available in the states.
Old 11-11-09, 01:47 AM
Cathal
Driver School Candidate

I own a IS220D, i live in ireland, From the forums i look at there has been some bad reports about the is220, i've owned it for a few months and i think its great, DOes not come in automatic but, Its a quiet diesel and bit of power too but not alot, Nice to drive and look at. (only one exhaust but :-( . I would rather have a 250 or a 350 but cost of petrol and insurance would be too much so i'm happy enough with the diesel.

MPG is ok i get about 30, 32 mpg all city driving and heavy foot aswel, you could get higher on motorway of being more cautious, but theres no fun in that
Old 11-11-09, 08:44 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Gtidan
Don't believe a word of it. The entire system is taken straight off the Camry Hybrid.....nothing new here. And the real world MPG is not even close to what people are actually getting. Europeans are not going to buy a battery hybrid when they can get a diesel for less money and easier on the planet as well.

To each their own I guess. Don't confuse me with someone who does not appreciate his Lexus........I love it. I just don't drive it much when the wife and I go out of town since we got the Jetta.
What? a lot of people are reporting 40 MPG plus. Look I like diesels too but how are they easier on the planet? They are not, thus hybrids getting more tax breaks and free congestion charges in some places in Europe.

Originally Posted by PorSiempre
All of this banter about diesel versus hybrid makes one think that this thread belongs in car chat and not in IS 2nd Generation.
We are talking about the IS 220d

Originally Posted by Cathal
I own a IS220D, i live in ireland, From the forums i look at there has been some bad reports about the is220, i've owned it for a few months and i think its great, DOes not come in automatic but, Its a quiet diesel and bit of power too but not alot, Nice to drive and look at. (only one exhaust but :-( . I would rather have a 250 or a 350 but cost of petrol and insurance would be too much so i'm happy enough with the diesel.

MPG is ok i get about 30, 32 mpg all city driving and heavy foot aswel, you could get higher on motorway of being more cautious, but theres no fun in that
THanks for posting!! Its a great option for Lexus to have (finally in Europe).
Old 11-11-09, 08:54 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 582 Likes on 401 Posts

Originally Posted by Gtidan
Again, I live and work in the Newport Beach, CA area and I've yet to see ONE IS250H on the road.
Maybe that's because there is no IS250h, it's the HS250h. Personally I like diesels because 90% of my driving is freeway. I'll probably take a look at the A3 TDI and the E blutec when I'm looking for my next car. Diesel nozzles at the gas stations are usually pretty nasty looking though.
Old 11-11-09, 09:05 AM
(Cj)
Lexus Test Driver

IS220d would be good in the US (if offered in automatic). Lexus could be the first Asian brand to bring a diesel to the US (since Acura has backed out from doing that). A lot of Americans perceive Asian brands as having higher quality, so I would think that a IS220d would sell pretty well. It would be a nice asian diesel luxury car.

And FWIW, there is no IS250h. Not in Europe or the US. And IMO the HS isn't an attractive looking sedan. If I were to get an entry level sedan I'd prefer an IS over an HS on styling alone.
Old 11-11-09, 06:43 PM
Gtidan
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Allen K
Maybe that's because there is no IS250h, it's the HS250h. Personally I like diesels because 90% of my driving is freeway. I'll probably take a look at the A3 TDI and the E blutec when I'm looking for my next car. Diesel nozzles at the gas stations are usually pretty nasty looking though.
Thanks for correcting me on the model # however everything changed. I was down on Balboa Island today (Newport beach, ca) and damn if I didn't finally see one........brand new with dealer tag and all. So I guess they did sell 'one'...

Someone earlier made the statement: How is the Jetta easier on the planet. OK, here's why..........But this is not coming from me. Check out this video by TOP Gear (I'm sure many of you here have heard of them. It's from the UK where they tend not to suck up to the various manufacturers and call a spade a spade) Anyhow, I think you'll see why a Jetta is much friendlier than a Hybrid. NO Battery!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydvAQ...eature=related

Before you come at me remember I have a Lexus IS250 as well and love it.

Last edited by Gtidan; 11-11-09 at 06:48 PM.