IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Adding Traffic to GPS

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-09, 02:16 PM
bobgott
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Adding Traffic to GPS

I have a '06 IS 350 with Nav/GPS. I noticed the newer IS models can add traffic reports to their Nav systems. I called up Lexus and asked if I could add this to my model .. and they came back and said "Buy a new Lexus" (gee .. thanx).

Driving in So Cal these days require traffic information .. any ideas on how I can add traffic to my existing NAV/GPS system without buying an external 3rd party device.

thanx ..
-bob
Old 10-08-09, 02:18 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by bobgott
I have a '06 IS 350 with Nav/GPS. I noticed the newer IS models can add traffic reports to their Nav systems. I called up Lexus and asked if I could add this to my model .. and they came back and said "Buy a new Lexus" (gee .. thanx).

Driving in So Cal these days require traffic information .. any ideas on how I can add traffic to my existing NAV/GPS system without buying an external 3rd party device.

thanx ..
-bob
Buy a new Lexus

It's possible you could transplant the entire GPS/Nav system out of a 2010, but it'd likely cost you many, many thousands of dollars.

Or for like $200 you can buy a Garmin that does it but has to sit on your dashboard.
Old 10-08-09, 02:22 PM
bobgott
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Kurtz
Buy a new Lexus

It's possible you could transplant the entire GPS/Nav system out of a 2010, but it'd likely cost you many, many thousands of dollars.

Or for like $200 you can buy a Garmin that does it but has to sit on your dashboard.
Well, I sure don't want to spend many thousands (A thousand would be my upper limit). I know of the Garmin solution .. but didn't want to dirty up my nice clean dashboard.

I suspect the Garmin is my only solution .. but had to ask.
Old 10-08-09, 03:09 PM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Received 268 Likes on 216 Posts

I want not only traffic but somehow be able to make a connection between iPhone apps and Lexus nav. An App called Trapster shows you red light camera, cops hiding location and warns you if you're driving nearby. If I can see that on Lexus nav screen it would be a dream come true.
Old 10-08-09, 03:23 PM
isthrizzy
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, if you have an Iphone you can get real time traffic info...it just doesn't come up on your Navi screen.... isn't that enough? greedy bastard! (j/k)
Old 10-08-09, 04:27 PM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by isthrizzy
Well, if you have an Iphone you can get real time traffic info...it just doesn't come up on your Navi screen.... isn't that enough? greedy bastard! (j/k)
yeah but i want to see it on Lexus nav, I actually don't have setup to put my iphone in the car. I hate putting those suction cups and ruin the dash.
Old 10-08-09, 06:08 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by dojoman
I want not only traffic but somehow be able to make a connection between iPhone apps and Lexus nav. An App called Trapster shows you red light camera, cops hiding location and warns you if you're driving nearby. If I can see that on Lexus nav screen it would be a dream come true.
Yeah, a garmin can do that too... you download a custom POI database with all the redlight cameras, speed traps, etc, and it can warn you visibly and audibly as you approach.

If you hate suction cups use the garmin friction mount, works perfectly right on top of the dash center stack, doesn't budge, and there's no sign it was there if you just pick it up.

The lack of these features (and more) in the OEM system is why I special ordered without nav in the first place. I had a 2010 loaner with nav the other day and was amazed it still doesn't speak street names for most roads. $99 GPSes do that now.
Old 10-08-09, 08:31 PM
kbkura
Driver

Originally Posted by dojoman
yeah but i want to see it on Lexus nav, I actually don't have setup to put my iphone in the car. I hate putting those suction cups and ruin the dash.
If you hate suction cups, you should check out my setup with the spec.dock (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...cs-inside.html). FWIW, I love it!

Also, I don't know about everything else, but I know one of the VAIS cables enables you to watch video on your navi!
Old 10-09-09, 08:41 AM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by kbkura
If you hate suction cups, you should check out my setup with the spec.dock (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...cs-inside.html). FWIW, I love it!

Also, I don't know about everything else, but I know one of the VAIS cables enables you to watch video on your navi!
Yeah I've seen the dock, it's too low. It's probably the only good spot anyway but I don't want to cut a hole on the bottom.
Old 10-10-09, 03:29 PM
VTECMAN
Driver School Candidate

I know its on a tangent but has anyone upgraded to version 9.1 on the navi?
Old 10-10-09, 03:42 PM
HERBos
Lead Lap

you could just get a newer, better navi and sell your current one. that way you will forever be happy with your newly added traffic report
Old 10-10-09, 07:40 PM
LexusSC430
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Its garbage, forget it...plus they charge you like an extra 6 bux a month for it. I love when I am sitting in traffic and the nav says nothing about it. Or it will say there is traffic at the GWB going into NYC at 8am on a Tuesday...really???? And it snows in Antartica too?
Old 10-12-09, 06:01 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexusSC430
Its garbage, forget it...plus they charge you like an extra 6 bux a month for it. I love when I am sitting in traffic and the nav says nothing about it. Or it will say there is traffic at the GWB going into NYC at 8am on a Tuesday...really???? And it snows in Antartica too?
It's free on the -T series Garmins

(though really, for NYC it should probably just report "Dude. It's NYC. What do you think is going on?")
Old 10-12-09, 06:24 AM
LexusSC430
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Kurtz
It's free on the -T series Garmins

(though really, for NYC it should probably just report "Dude. It's NYC. What do you think is going on?")
HAHA...very true. Those garmins do a lot, they are pretty neat. You obviously dont get the stock look, but theyre much much cheaper. I just checked the bill XM + Traffic is $50 more per year, when you pay the yearly rate. The new nav also has weather, which again....cmon. Just look up. If its free great, but to pay extra. I am not even going to subscribe to the XM, I think Ive listened to it 8 times.