Checked out a used IS250 AWD yesterday and have questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-09, 06:59 AM
myLexRX
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Checked out a used IS250 AWD yesterday and have questions

Hello All,

I am in a process of getting an IS250 AWD for my wife and yesterday I test drove one and have a few questions. It was an '06, in GFM with tan interior, 45K miles. The car had a navi, back up camera and heated & AC seats. I'm sure it did not have a sports package, parking sensors and ML audio.
My questions are
1. what options/packages does and doesn't it have (HIDs. bluetooth, etc) ? It did not have a rear spoiler, is it a dealer option?

2. the front wheels were bubbling, is this common?

3. the engine was making a ticking sound, is that normal?

4. the low tire pressure light was on, as well as the red triangled exclamation point. Do they normally come on together?

Lastly, what grade gas do you guys use?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by myLexRX; 10-07-09 at 07:03 AM.
Old 10-07-09, 07:06 AM
mikez
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

AWD does not come with sports package.

From what you said it seems like it has the:

Nav, comes with backup camera, usually only comes with bluetooth as well (without bluetooth? You sure?)
Whatever package its called, it comes with wood trim, heated and cooled seats, with perforated leather.

Check to see if you have the HID package that comes with AFS (the light that pivots during turns)

The wheel bubbling is bad, the dealer should replace that, how can they sell a CPO (I assume) car with corroded wheels

Engine ticking is normal

And I use 93 octane
Old 10-07-09, 07:15 AM
myLexRX
Intermediate

Originally Posted by mikez
AWD does not come with sports package.

From what you said it seems like it has the:

Nav, comes with backup camera, usually only comes with bluetooth as well (without bluetooth? You sure?)
Whatever package its called, it comes with wood trim, heated and cooled seats, with perforated leather.

Check to see if you have the HID package that comes with AFS (the light that pivots during turns)

The wheel bubbling is bad, the dealer should replace that, how can they sell a CPO (I assume) car with corroded wheels

Engine ticking is normal

And I use 93 octane
It is being sold by a private party...
So the bluetooth comes standard with navi? I was asking the owner about HIDs and he was not sure if the car has them. I had HIDs on my other cars and the headlights were blueish, this car had more of a yellowish headlights. Is is a stand alone package?
Old 10-07-09, 08:26 AM
myhusky
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 06' 250 AWD, has the exact package as you described. It has bluetooth, but no HID. other than that, everything is same as your description.

The HID belongs to the ultra premium package, which also include rear shade, head light washer.
Old 10-07-09, 09:02 AM
mndthegap1
Driver

my 06 is forsale and im in NY you could always buy your wife mine

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/lex...29000-obo.html
Old 10-07-09, 09:25 AM
SD.IS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the hid problem is easy to fix, you should ask them to replace the tires. bubbling is no bueno
Old 10-07-09, 10:23 AM
Madsci625
Driver

Originally Posted by myhusky
I have a 06' 250 AWD, has the exact package as you described. It has bluetooth, but no HID. other than that, everything is same as your description.

The HID belongs to the ultra premium package, which also include rear shade, head light washer.
False, The head light washer does not have to be present for there to be HID or the shade. I don't have the washer but have the other two things.
Old 10-07-09, 10:35 AM
myLexRX
Intermediate

Originally Posted by mndthegap1
my 06 is forsale and im in NY you could always buy your wife mine

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/lex...29000-obo.html
Nice car but a little too much for my wife.

Thanks everybody for your help!
Old 10-07-09, 03:49 PM
BounceNY
Lexus Test Driver

just a FYI, it is called the Luxury package.

OP I would find out if the owner can get the dealership to replace/fix the bubbling rims. I had this on mine and there are a few others that had this happen to their wheels. Some dealerships fix it, some don't. GL.
Old 10-07-09, 06:00 PM
Dave_IS250
Driver School Candidate

I went to the dealership this past weekend because my wheels were bubbling/pitting and they didn't ask me any questions at all and came out about 15 minutes after they had the car and said, that shouldn't happen and they will order all 4 new wheels for me. I go in to have it replaced tomorrow. Everything covered by the warranty.
Old 10-07-09, 07:34 PM
BounceNY
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Dave_IS250
I went to the dealership this past weekend because my wheels were bubbling/pitting and they didn't ask me any questions at all and came out about 15 minutes after they had the car and said, that shouldn't happen and they will order all 4 new wheels for me. I go in to have it replaced tomorrow. Everything covered by the warranty.
Lucky. I went to two dealerships, both turned me away. So I called corporate and even they were not too eager to do anything about it. But in the end they did at least offer to "re-finish" or whatever they're doing. The dealership is still going to charge me fifty some dollars for some environmental fee's which I bet is BS.
Old 10-08-09, 04:54 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

There's not UltraPremium Pkg in the US. In '06, HIDs were a standalone option for the AWD. So were headlight washers, which still are. BUT, you can't get headlight washers without HIDs, so if the car had that, you'd know for sure it has HIDs.

Best way to know--sit in the car, and turn it on. To the left of the steering column is a button that looks like this: |<O>| If you scoll through the adjustment options, and you get to "AFS", then the car has HIDs. If not, it doesn't.
Old 10-09-09, 08:27 AM
myLexRX
Intermediate

Dave_IS250 - did you have any curb rush on your wheels?

Bounce_NY - which dealerships did you deal with?

I gave a deposit on the car, it will be in my possession on Monday.
I called my guy at a Massapequa Lexus and he told me that if a wheel has even a minor rush/scratch, they would not do any warranty work because the bubbles in paint is the result of it. Does that sound right?
Old 10-09-09, 09:26 AM
BounceNY
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by myLexRX
Dave_IS250 - did you have any curb rush on your wheels?

Bounce_NY - which dealerships did you deal with?

I gave a deposit on the car, it will be in my possession on Monday.
I called my guy at a Massapequa Lexus and he told me that if a wheel has even a minor rush/scratch, they would not do any warranty work because the bubbles in paint is the result of it. Does that sound right?
I actually bought my car from Smithtown Long Island but since moved to CT (need to update profile). I have dealt with McDermott Lexus of New Haven and Hoffmann Lexus of Hartford both in CT.

Curb rash is one thing. Paint bubbling is another. So it does not sound right to me, but I heard that before. For what its worth, I did have curb rash on mine but I still strongly believe its not related.
Old 10-09-09, 09:27 AM
BounceNY
Lexus Test Driver

If your car is still under warranty, I would push them to fix the rim(s) or call corporate to see what they say. I would do it asap since you may be still under warranty. Worth a shot.

Quick Reply: Checked out a used IS250 AWD yesterday and have questions