IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Vibration on idle, but only while in drive

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-09, 10:37 AM
djrobsd
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vibration on idle, but only while in drive

I just noticed a wierd vibration on idle. At first I thought it was the HVAC, so I shut it off completely. Turned off the seat blowers... Turned off the stereo... It only happens when the car is in drive, if I put it in park or reverse and it's idle, there is no vibration.

Any ideas what I should be looking for, or is this just normal? My car is a 2006 IS350 with 49,600 miles on it.
Old 09-24-09, 12:16 PM
phongh
Lead Lap

Bring to the dealership, tell them whats going on, since your car is still under warranty.
Old 10-16-09, 10:46 PM
Ghost ES3
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Smile hello

Same problem or symptom here...except mine is a 07 is250 and out of warranty......

Has this been resolved? Anyone else have this symptom?

pls share for the rest of us...thank you.
Old 10-16-09, 10:49 PM
eric_r_ho
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, it's definitely a known problem and is not always a guaranteed fix. They may have to start w/ a top engine cleaning to get the gunk off the exhuast valves. If that doesn't work then they'll have to put your engine on life support and take it all apart to replace the valves. Good luck though, it's tough to get this done nowadays at dealerships across southern CA. Unless they're able to duplicate that vibration they won't be able to do anything for you.
Old 10-16-09, 11:09 PM
Ghost ES3
Rookie

well, my car isnt under warranty, and the rough idle is not bad at all, it's barely noticeable, but its there....

man what's up w/ lexus and toyota lately...poor economy = poor parts?

guess I'm keeping my is300.
Old 10-17-09, 06:19 AM
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Ghost ES3
man what's up w/ lexus and toyota lately...poor economy = poor parts?
I think there are two equations at play:

High Sales = Cut in Quality to Make Even More Money (b/c the lemmings will still buy)

and

L Finesse = Make it Look Great, but Use Crappy Parts
Old 10-17-09, 07:28 AM
Ghost ES3
Rookie

Originally Posted by 15951

L Finesse = Make it Look Great, but Use Crappy Parts
I see this when comparing the 1st and 2nd gens.

Although the 2nd gen is a lovely car w/ added amenities over is predecessor.

The 1st gen just feels more solid. Maybe bc of the high quality parts that were used.

The body parts are a lot heavier and sturdy.

The engine design is so old and proven that nothing can possibly go wrong.

I've always liked inline 6 compared to V6, just a preference.

***Ok, well I concluded that this is a normal thing, since more than one user on here has the same symptoms...

Here's what others have to say: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...top-light.html

Last edited by Ghost ES3; 10-17-09 at 07:35 AM.
Old 10-17-09, 06:27 PM
is4fsr
Lead Lap

Had the same issue last year while stopped at traffic lights on numerous occassions. Car would shake/vibrate. Told the service advisor when I took my car in for the service campaign. Diagnosed as misfire and valves need to be cleaned. Done under warranty. Invoice came to around $3200. Thank god it's under warranty.
Took about 3 to 4 days to fix problem. No shaking or vibration since.
Old 10-17-09, 06:58 PM
9relude8
Pole Position

Originally Posted by is4fsr
Had the same issue last year while stopped at traffic lights on numerous occassions. Car would shake/vibrate. Told the service advisor when I took my car in for the service campaign. Diagnosed as misfire and valves need to be cleaned. Done under warranty. Invoice came to around $3200. Thank god it's under warranty.
Is there a TSB for this? I have a vibration from the car as well but it is not noticable unless I put my right arm on my door armrest. I always thought this was normal but I am begining to think otherwise because of your post. My car is out of warantee with 54xxx miles so I am be SOL...
Old 10-17-09, 11:29 PM
Ghost ES3
Rookie

Originally Posted by is4fsr

I think what he is refering to is far diff/ from what some of us are experiencing...

what I am talking about is a slight barely noticeable vibration at idle for a brief, 2-5 seconds, not vibrating all crazy and misfiring...

If you ever experienced a misfiring engine, you will know the difference, it's like an earthquake or something inside the car LOL

typically, the CEL would go on if your car misfires immediately, bc you if you werent running on all cyclinders this wouldnt be good...

anyway, I linked something regarding this from similar owners stating that it is due to starvation of the new technologic direct injection to save fuel economy.

Also, I have noticed that this vibration is much more apparent when the car isnt at full optimal running temperature... usually before the needle is at it's full normal operations mark (almost center...~2/3 of the temp gauge). After fully warmed up, the car idles smooth as a babies bottom, but during that transition period, it is noticeable, but hardly a concern, since my supercharged s2k was like no where near this.
Old 10-19-09, 11:11 AM
ajfinoak
Driver

I have an '08 250 with 16K miles. The car started the same vibration the OP has noticed after about 10k miles- it is intermittent and after the car is warmed up and there is a definite vibration at idle in the steering wheel. The first time the dealer could not replicate, 2nd time they cleaned something and noted that I was not the first person with this. I have researched this and read everything from a bad camshaft gear, exhaust valve issue and airflow sensor issue or that it is normal. This is my 2nd Lexus and I have had 3 Acuras and this is not normal for a V6. I will continue to bring this up when I come in for other services. A Lexus should not do this, I did not pay for a Yaris!
Old 10-19-09, 03:46 PM
Coconut
Racer

Received 130 Likes on 57 Posts

My car also "shakes" once in while while idling. The RPM briefly dips below 500 RPM which is what causes the shaking, it feels like its about to stall. Other members have reported this as well.

As far as I know this isn't a major issue. It shutters once in a while (like every 3 months) but it never actually stalls. I guess we figured the computer is trying to make the car idle at the lowest RPM and sometimes it has a brainfart (ghosts in the machine?).
Old 10-19-09, 07:35 PM
is4fsr
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Ghost ES3
I think what he is refering to is far diff/ from what some of us are experiencing...

what I am talking about is a slight barely noticeable vibration at idle for a brief, 2-5 seconds, not vibrating all crazy and misfiring...

If you ever experienced a misfiring engine, you will know the difference, it's like an earthquake or something inside the car LOL

typically, the CEL would go on if your car misfires immediately, bc you if you werent running on all cyclinders this wouldnt be good...

anyway, I linked something regarding this from similar owners stating that it is due to starvation of the new technologic direct injection to save fuel economy.

Also, I have noticed that this vibration is much more apparent when the car isnt at full optimal running temperature... usually before the needle is at it's full normal operations mark (almost center...~2/3 of the temp gauge). After fully warmed up, the car idles smooth as a babies bottom, but during that transition period, it is noticeable, but hardly a concern, since my supercharged s2k was like no where near this.
Originally Posted by Coconut
My car also "shakes" once in while while idling. The RPM briefly dips below 500 RPM which is what causes the shaking, it feels like its about to stall. Other members have reported this as well.

As far as I know this isn't a major issue. It shutters once in a while (like every 3 months) but it never actually stalls. I guess we figured the computer is trying to make the car idle at the lowest RPM and sometimes it has a brainfart (ghosts in the machine?).
Mine felt like it was going to stall while stopped at traffic lights. And the car is HOT, not warming up. Shaking/vibrations only last a second or two and my tach sure did dip into 600 rpm or less. I wasn't too concerned at that time since it only happened a few times- maybe three or four times. But since I took my car in for the service campaigns I figured I mention it to the SA. Sure enough they fixed the problem.
Old 11-04-09, 08:40 AM
sumfknguy
Driver School Candidate

Default nice to know..

it's nice to see others are having the same issue.. and by that, you should know what I mean

I have an 06 IS250 with 82K miles on it. My idle and vibration issue problems have been around since 30K miles. I've taken it to the dealer multiple times and complained. They replaced my review mirror to address the "shaky issue" since I mentioned I could tell by watching my mirror vibrate.. while this wasn't the only thing that caused me to notice the issue, it was an easy way to show them what the issue was.. so I got the car back.. still shakes.. but I have a nice new mirror!

Next problem I have is the "almost stalling" issue when I come to stops while the car is in drive. The car's RPM's go up and down almost to the point of stalling when I come to a stop followed by the engine shaking (alot). At first, this would come and go about every other month, then every other week, and now just about every day. I've reported this problem when the car was under warranty and they said they were unable to reproduce the problem.. they even recommended I get some STP fuel cleaner and throw it in my tank.. damn Lexus of New Orleans.. On top of this issue I find that if I am coming to a stop at a red light or stop sign but then accelerate the car almost falls flat on its face for about 1 second and then kicks in.. anyone else have this particular issue? I was told this was a normal characteristic of the car..

When my car was approaching 50K miles I made sure to tell the service dept to make note of my issues and that they pre-existed my expiration of warranty. They did. At about 60K miles I called Lexus Corp and filed a complaint. They set me up an appointment with a service manager here in Houston. He called and I explained my issues to him and he said he never heard of it. He suggested I take the car in for a fuel system's flush and see if that would resolve the issue. Ain't gonna happen. I don't feel like I should have to pay for anything related to an issue that has been around for 30K miles at this point that originated while the car was under warranty. So I never dropped the car off.

Here I am, 82K miles (8 months later), the problem has never gone away and in fact continues to get worse. A few weeks back it actually stalled on me. Started back up, but has since had me worried. I contacted Lexus Corp again and pretty much explained what I did here. And that I wanted to drop my car off and have the issue addressed without me having to come out of pocket for things like fuel system flushes and whatever else they deem a "possible cause". Just fix it. It should have been fixed 50K miles ago..

point is, you guys are not alone. I should hear back within two business days on whats going to be done. When I get some information I will post it back here. I also printed out this thread to bring with me, not that I think it will help, but you never know. Every once is awhile you actually get someone who is helpfull and wants to see the customer walk away satisfied.

If your car is still under warranty and they keep pushing you off, make sure you make them post your complaints to your work orders.. this way if a fix or known issue does come out, you should be covered even if your car is no longer under warranty (I hope anyway).

to be continued...
Old 11-26-09, 08:51 PM
Orion78
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by djrobsd
I just noticed a wierd vibration on idle. At first I thought it was the HVAC, so I shut it off completely. Turned off the seat blowers... Turned off the stereo... It only happens when the car is in drive, if I put it in park or reverse and it's idle, there is no vibration.

Any ideas what I should be looking for, or is this just normal? My car is a 2006 IS350 with 49,600 miles on it.
Hi djrobsd,

Did you ever get this fixed by the Dealer? I just bought a 2008 AWD IS and I am having the same problems too. The driver side door also vibrates when the car is stopped and placed in drive.

Quick Reply: Vibration on idle, but only while in drive