IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

6MT IS250 Fidanza Flywheel Spec Clutch dragging

Old 09-30-20, 05:13 PM
Defender46
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 6MT IS250 Fidanza Flywheel Spec Clutch dragging

How I ended up with my first Clutch Masters clutch and a SPEC Clutch paperweight

Posting this to maybe help others later on

Main issue was a mislabeled clutch disc, the stock setup is a massive dual mass flywheel and tiny rigid disc with a snout that protrudes both directions but more to the back. The spec disc was labeled with the larger sprung side of the hub as the flywheel side - everything cleared fine on the fidanza flywheel, no reason to not trust their sticker. After install it was fine then after 40ish miles the intermittent clutch drag started - couldn't disengage first or reverse and it seemed like a hydraulic issue so I replaced the master and slave cylinder, issue continued to be intermittent..pulled the trans back out and inspected everything and all seemed to be installed properly(flywheel side was facing flywheel, all washers and snap rings correctly oriented etc) bleed system again and again no luck, that's it, order a different clutch. Clutch Masters disc says the larger hub side faces pressure plate - disc is also .5mm thinner and everything works perfectly.

Why I didn't contact Spec about the dragging clutch - they were a little difficult from the moment the clutch arrived with a rigid disc even though their product description specifically states dual sprung hub. "Well you have to call us and request a sprung hub since the stock application for that vehicle is rigid, and even with a single mass flywheel the rigid disc should be fine, but we can exchange it if you really want". Of course I wanted a sprung hub clutch with my billet flywheel, so I sent it to them and waited over a week for the exchange which was delayed because they needed me to pay return shipping of $25 after I has paid to ship it to them, and during the call about payment they got in a jab about how the clutch may not work with a fidanza flywheel and I really should have their's - so I could already imagine how helpful they'd be if I called about this issue.

Clutch Masters Disc:
Spec Stage 2 / SL252s disc:

The following users liked this post:
IS250_6MT (09-30-20)
Old 09-30-20, 10:17 PM
IS250_6MT
Driver

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Thanks for the information. Sounds like clutch disc from Clutchmaster works well with Fidanza flywheel.
I wonder how the flywheel from Clutchmaster is compared to a Fidanza flywheel.
Old 04-25-22, 01:56 PM
LiquidLaos
10th Gear

Wait so you are saying that all of this could have been avoided if they placed their stickers correctly?

I currently have the fidanza flywheel and clutchmasters stage 1 sprung disc setup. I have the exact same issue as you describe right now and going crazy as to what I can do to remediate the problem without racking up the labour costs. It's dragging in first and reverse.

The last thing I want to do is to purchase the clutchmasters flywheel and replace the fidanza one just to have a complimentary system, where if I can just flip a plate around it'll solve all my issues.
Old 04-25-22, 07:55 PM
Ultra4
Intermediate

Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts

You don't have to stick with aftermarket parts specifically made for just the IS250, it shares disks and pressure plates with mk4 Supra V160 6 speeds. Throwout hub bearings, too. 1.125", 21 spline input shaft, factory DM clutch can take like 9.75" of disk or more (I gotta remeasure that).

I'm running a SPEC SL25A fly with a ACT 3000604 disk, factory pressure plate's doing well enough until I fab a spacer to put the friction surface where the V160 Mk4 Supra pressure plate wants the disk to be. Then I'll be running a T014X pressure plate. Though, like I said, the OEM pressure plate springs are still holding enough to not slip under fairly abusive driving behind a 3GR-FSE, through a Torsen.

Do not get the T015 or T015X, they're for the mk3 supras and the mount holes are like 5mm closer together than the mk4 supra and IS250 setup is. Thankfully, Summit is like Newegg with returns.

I keep saying I'm going to delete the clutch delay valve and do a writeup about it, but that's not under my control at the moment.
2013FSport (05-03-22)
Old 05-02-22, 09:35 PM
Defender46
Driver

Originally Posted by LiquidLaos
Wait so you are saying that all of this could have been avoided if they placed their stickers correctly?

I currently have the fidanza flywheel and clutchmasters stage 1 sprung disc setup. I have the exact same issue as you describe right now and going crazy as to what I can do to remediate the problem without racking up the labour costs. It's dragging in first and reverse.

The last thing I want to do is to purchase the clutchmasters flywheel and replace the fidanza one just to have a complimentary system, where if I can just flip a plate around it'll solve all my issues.

did your issues start right after install? if so, I'd recommend R&R the trans and check the disc installation.
LiquidLaos (05-19-22)
Old 05-09-22, 08:27 PM
LiquidLaos
10th Gear

Originally Posted by Defender46
did your issues start right after install? if so, I'd recommend R&R the trans and check the disc installation.
Yeah the issues started right after the install (both Fidanza+SpecD and Fidanza+Clutchmasters).

The mechanic took a look at the disc installation and couldn't really find anything wrong with the installation itself. Mechanic saw some hotspots on the inner portions of the flywheel. Also had someone in the area do the Fidanza Flywheel+Clutchmaster Stage 2 clutch kit with no errors which leads me to believe that if my setup was installed correctly there should be no clutch dragging. There could be a slim chance that I might of got a deficient kit. Kinda stuck on what to do and I don't have my OEM flywheel and clutch to measure the differences between these systems.
Old 05-19-22, 06:10 PM
LiquidLaos
10th Gear

Update:

So the mechanic took apart the assembly and couldn't find anything wrong with the initial installation. Sort of left ourselves scratching our heads...but this thread came in clutch (no pun intended). I let him know about this thread that it may be as easy as flipping the clutch disc. The mechanic took a look at some Toyota schematics, which didn't have dimensions or anything, but the hub facing the flywheel was much larger (visually) than the one facing the transmission. Yep, all we did was flip the clutch disc and now everything is working as intended. I am very happy that the car is finally giving me the driver experience given the mods, but the wallet isn't too happy with all the shop hours.
MikeFig82 (05-19-22)