IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Car would not unlock tonight...

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-09, 01:09 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts
Default Car would not unlock tonight...

This one has me scratching my head. And I don't feel confident the problem is solved. Here's what happened in order...

Car was locked in driveway. Walked up and pressed fob trunk button only. Trunk opened, loaded in two paper bags and closed trunk. Walked to front door handle, pulled, and got no response. Pulled out the fob and none of the buttons worked. Noticed a small, red light on the dash showing a car symbol with doors open (to the left of speedo). Checked all doors and trunk and everything looked and felt shut. Opened the trunk manually with the hidden key in the fob, but that set off the security alarm. Removed the bags, closed the trunk, alarm shut off a minute later, but all doors would still not open.

After talking to Lexus Roadside, the lady had me pop off the door handle cover and insert key into secret hole. This opened the door, but the alarm went off again. Then did the procedure to start the car (held the fob up to the START button, waited for it to turn green, foot on brake and pressed START). Car started and alarm shut off. Shut it all down and then everything finally worked with the fob and sensors as normal. Also no more door open symbol on dash.

So she claimed it to be a low key fob battery, but I didn't get such a symbol on the dash and the thing has been working fine with only a year and a half of use (9k miles). Plus, the warning light on the dash was the open door symbol, not a low battery symbol. Two different things, right? Yet if it was the bag in trunk fouling the seal, why wouldn't the rest of the car unlock after re-opening the trunk and removing the bag? Are these all securities measures? Is the alarm supposed to go off during these manual procedures? Could it have been a low battery afterall? I'm stumped.

Any thoughts?
Old 09-05-09, 03:09 AM
windex
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wouldnt rule out a dead key battery. I had a similar problem but it was my whole car died and I couldnt get into the car so I used the little whooptee doo on the door handle that I had no clue was there
Old 09-05-09, 03:37 AM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by windex
I wouldnt rule out a dead key battery. I had a similar problem but it was my whole car died and I couldnt get into the car so I used the little whooptee doo on the door handle that I had no clue was there
+1 windex, same thing happened to me once, replaced the battery