IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Best price for leftover 09 IS250?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-09, 09:44 PM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

there are a few dealers near my place that have the starfire pearl but not the leather interior and im not so sure about the wood trim. OTD is usually around 39k, fully loaded for the 2010 is350. also if i recall, there is an additional tax for those cars purchased for the 2010+ model years. if anyone knows more about this, please feel free to let me know
Old 09-16-09, 11:42 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by LexusRuss
The first sentence sounds sooo good, if only it were TRUE. Buyers enter dealerships CONCERNED about how much money the DEALER is making which is why they spend multiple hours going in circles over $200 bucks or whatever the amount is. No one ever thinks about the cost of advertising, the money being borrowed from the manufacturer to occupy the space to sell the car etc. You can ask for spiff money until your face turns blue; it means nothing because they don't get the spiff, it they don't hit the designated number. Every coin has TWO sides.

Besides, there is NOTHING hidden in the age of the internet.

The point I was making is that if you've done your homework then you should come out ahead. Everyone is in business to profit. Don't let your "educated bargaining abilities" stop there. Next time you buy a pair of jeans, make sure you don't spend more than $4 dollars since that's the TRUE cost. Or a carton of milk, an airline ticket, a movie ticket, a new pair of shoes...anything. If you need gas and the gas station near you is too high, what would do you do? Would you go inside and argue with the attendant that a barrel of gas is only 60 bucks? Why should anyone make any money for the products or services they offer? Squeeze the life out of all of them.

Once they can't afford to operate, you'll have one less choice to make. With fewer choices come HIGHER prices. Take your pick.

Or, you can do as I suggested. Go into the dealer armed with the knowledge needed to get a deal. When they don't meet your fair price, move on to a dealer that will.
I hear and see everything you are stating, good points. But none of this would matter or be an issue if the car buying experience was not set up to take advantage of the average person. Most car shoppers are not educated, do not do their homework, and end up paying a high price for it. The dealer profits over this situation day in and day out, resulting in lavish showrooms, expanding locations, giving bonuses to employees, etc, etc. They would lead you to think they are hurting, but nine times out of ten, it's just another scare tactic.
Like you said, knowledge is power.
Old 09-17-09, 04:33 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by bnizzle87
there are a few dealers near my place that have the starfire pearl but not the leather interior and im not so sure about the wood trim. OTD is usually around 39k, fully loaded for the 2010 is350. also if i recall, there is an additional tax for those cars purchased for the 2010+ model years. if anyone knows more about this, please feel free to let me know
at 39k it's not even close to fully loaded. That's over 10k off MSRP for an -actual- fully loaded IS350, without tax/tags/etc added on.
Old 09-17-09, 08:34 PM
LexusRuss
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
I hear and see everything you are stating, good points. But none of this would matter or be an issue if the car buying experience was not set up to take advantage of the average person. Most car shoppers are not educated, do not do their homework, and end up paying a high price for it. The dealer profits over this situation day in and day out, resulting in lavish showrooms, expanding locations, giving bonuses to employees, etc, etc. They would lead you to think they are hurting, but nine times out of ten, it's just another scare tactic.
Like you said, knowledge is power.
The car buying experience USED to be set up to take advantage of the buyer. That's no longer the case and the power has shifted. Lavish show rooms are simply a product of the "mall of america" marketing effort dealers have to make in order for people to feel welcomed. If weren't such a shallow society, dealers would sell cars from a phone booth if they could. They buy flat screens because that's what people want to see when they show up. Dealers are leveraged up to their necks in borrowed money to keep the doors open in some cases. Only the large dealer groups have enough breathing room to sustained a slow market. The responsibility is on the buyer but, keep in mind that you always have a choice.