IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

09 IS 350 rev limiters

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-09, 03:39 PM
syzygy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 09 IS 350 rev limiters

So for the '09s you can use the paddle shifters in "D" mode, you don't have to be in "S" mode.

Let's say you are going sufficiently slow at 2nd gear such that you could "shift" (really "limit") the car into 1st with the down paddle shifter.

Say you do that and you accelerate hard, the car will obviously automatically continue with 2nd, 3rd, etc. right?

This is very relevant to my interests because often if I am trying to merge onto a 65 MPH freeway at a T intersection, I'll start making the turn and the car will put me into 2nd gear WAY too fast.

I would like to make the turn, (car goes into 2nd automatically even though I'm still going at like 10 MPH), paddle shift down to 1st, and go (all in D mode) and have the car run normally right away without any additional input.

Would this work?
Old 08-16-09, 01:27 AM
syzygy
Lexus Champion

65 views no response.

basically I just want to make sure I'm not going to overstress the engine somehow by paddle "shifting" to gear 1 (when I'm going 15 mph in gear 2) and then gunning it right away up to 80 MPH all in D mode.

I'd rather not "experiment", I'd rather just get a straight up answer. Is this an ok sequence?

0-->15 mph along a turn (while in d mode) car auto shifts from 1st to 2nd gear

i paddle shift down to 1st gear, then mash the accelerator.

will the car go 1st-->2nd all the way up to 75 normally?
Old 08-16-09, 01:41 AM
t0e
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

You're not going to hurt the car by hitting the rev limiter.

If you are going to fast, the engine / Transmission "programming" will never let you down shft to a gear you shouldn't be in....(the joys of automatic )

So you are free to experiment.
Old 08-16-09, 01:50 AM
syzygy
Lexus Champion

Ok, and if I ref limit to 1st gear (while in D mode) and I go beyond "1st gear speed" (40 or 50 mph or whatever it is), the car will still automatically take over and shift to 2nd, 3rd right? that's basically my question.

Yeah it's kind of a stupid question, 99% sure it will work just fine, but I'm paranoid about this sort of thing. i don't take any chances with this car.
Old 08-16-09, 09:22 AM
Phil888
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As long as you're not in "S" mode you're fine! Its program so you dont blow up your engine anyways. I drive the shttt out of my car and play with the paddle shifting all the time. Dont worry too much about it.
Old 08-17-09, 06:13 PM
syzygy
Lexus Champion

Well I don't think I can figure out how to use the paddle shifters to achieve what I want.

Oh well.

Fortunately acceleration from 2nd gear (from 10 MPH) is more than strong enough for the type of merging I need it for, but I can't help but feel like my 1st gear is basically unusable.

Yeah I can gun it and go through 1st gear from a stop light, but there's rarely ever a NEED to do that.

When I actually NEED (well ok i don't NEED it I just want it ) that 1st gear, it's during this type of merging.

I can't be the only one who notices this can I? I want to be able to roll out onto the freeway (from a T intersection stop sign) at 5-10 MPH and then gun it while in 1st gear.

The computer always puts me into 2nd gear in like .5 seconds after I start going 5-10 MPH because I let up on the accelerator just a little bit/I'm not mashing down on it from the start (obviously I can't mash down on it through a 90 degree turn)
Old 08-17-09, 08:42 PM
t0e
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

YES YOU CAN!!!!!!!!!!!!

Put your shifter in "Sports" mode, downshift all the way to first gear, it will stay in gear until you either A) Shift it or B) get so annoyed by the car going "puut puut puut" that you will shift it into 2nd gear....point being, once in gear its going to stay there, unless you're talking about automatic down shifts.

If you are going past 20mph 2nd gear should be just fine, for high speed passes.
Old 08-17-09, 10:07 PM
syzygy
Lexus Champion

ahh ok so you're saying use the paddle shifters to go into 1st gear, accelerate, and then manually "rev limit" to 2nd , to 3rd, and so on until i get up to speed and then just rev limit all the way up to 6th

edit no wait i'm dumb, i just need to paddle into 1st and then go all the way up to 6th immediately as fast as possible, no need to do it sequentially
Old 08-17-09, 11:01 PM
syzygy
Lexus Champion

Alternatively, I wonder if just rev limiting to 4th gear right off the bat would fix my problems.

I rev limit to 4th, I'm at a stop (in 1st), I slowly take the turn at 10 MPH. I wonder if the ecu would delay the shift to 2nd a bit more because I am limited to 4th.
Old 08-18-09, 12:44 AM
tC_demon
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't think the car will let you down shift if your going to hit the red zone on the lower gear...I really haven't done it to the IS (I really like PWR ECT, and let the car do the work) but that's how it works on my TSX...tranny won't shift down if am going to hit the red zone.
Old 08-18-09, 12:52 AM
syzygy
Lexus Champion

That's actually a good suggestion I forgot the PWR mode on this car.

Time to see what it actually does. All I've heard is it makes for more aggressive and less "gas saving" shifting which just might solve my issue.

But if all else fails, the paddle shifters in theory can accomlish what i need. I'll simply roll out at 10 like i normally do, the car will annoyingly put me into 2nd gear, i will press the paddle shifter to limit it to 1st

and then immediately while i am pushing down on the accelerator, i will paddle rev limit all the way up to 6h gear as fast as possible.

that sequence should in theory solve this.
Old 08-18-09, 12:53 AM
syzygy
Lexus Champion

Alternatively I could stop taking it so easy around the turn and accelerate a little harder through the turn. i do have traction/vsc enabled all the time so there shouldn't be any issues there, maybe i'll just try that haha.
Old 08-18-09, 12:59 AM
syzygy
Lexus Champion

by the way if anybody is wondering why this is even an issue (why don't i just accelerate hard through the turn) it's because there's a very slight dip I have to go over. Yeah it's really annoying, road design flaw.

if the t junction connecting this 65 MPH freeway to the stop sign were completely flat and smooth this wouldn't be an issue at all, but there's this annoying dip which forces me to take it easy onto the freeway (press accelerator and let go a little bit) and that always prompts the car to go into 2nd gear
Old 08-18-09, 04:55 AM
Koz

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

If you have selected 1st gear (in S mode) it will not up-shift until you physically shift up. You will bounce the rev limiter until you shift. This goes for all the gears, in S mode. Now if you are in 6th gear (in S mode) the trans will down shift as you shed speed. As long as you don't physically down shift the trans will then up-shift, up to the selected gear. If you have selected 4th it will up-shift until you reach 4th and bounce the rev limiter. In S mode you can only control the selected top gear. As far as down shifting, the nannies will not allow the trans to downshift into a lower gear unless the engine's RPM are within a safe range (below rev limiter). Basically, you can keep the engine RPMs in the power range but you can not control the up-shift (at WOT). Because of this some people think the trans’ shifts are slow, but in fact, they are very fast.

Koz
Old 08-18-09, 06:26 AM
Lets Drive
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by carLx
Alternatively I could stop taking it so easy around the turn and accelerate a little harder through the turn.
I'd imagine if you're merging onto a 65mph section of highway, they would provide ample room to hold a fair speed when entering (depending on what the merge point looks like).

Provided you're comfortable with it, step on the throttle a little.

Quick Reply: 09 IS 350 rev limiters