IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

blue hue under the seats and dash

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-09, 02:02 PM
xuningshen
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default blue hue under the seats and dash

Hey so... i've been searching the forums for the past hour trying to find some info on this and its been hard. when you search LED and strip together you come up with quite a few pages of information.

What i'm trying to do is put an LED strip under neath my driver and passenger seats, also underneath the dash, above the gas/brake petals, and same thing on the passenger side, i just want a soft blue glow to blanket my floor mats.

I'm trying to figure out where to tap into, not only where to tap into but how. I want them on while i'm driving. I know that we already do have some white led that shines by our feet when we drive, but i don't like that thing, its not very bright and its white... i want it blue haha. so any help on where to tap and how would greatly be appreciated.

Edit: ahh ok so i remember now its called footwell lighting haha. thats what i'm talking about using LED strips to do footwell lighting dunno how to tap or where to. I'm a visual kinda guy so pics would help alot. thanks again

Last edited by xuningshen; 08-15-09 at 02:16 PM.
Old 08-16-09, 12:45 AM
haulinick
Driver School Candidate

there are already LED lights under there. pull down the cover, disconnect the wire from the back of the existing. I just cut it and soldered on some blue 6 LED pods. I ran wires from there to under the front seats to light the rear footwells as well. Just be careful, if I remember correctly blue is positive and red is negative. Check it with a multimeter before so you don't run the risk of destroying your LED's.
These will come on with the car and with the interior lights when you open the door. They are also controlled by the dash lights dimmer. If you turn off your dash lights, these will go off as well.
Hope this helps
Old 08-16-09, 10:50 AM
ELL Y
Lexus Test Driver

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=234595

That's a link to when I did a mod like that in my old camry years before I got this car. Sadly, I moved those photobucket pics, but the text may be able to help guide you in a general direction. I wasn't too thrilled with it in retrospect, because it was very bright and caused a lot of eyestrain for me when I was driving. Human eyes are very sensitive to blue, so if you do go that way, don't get super bright cathodes as I did.

If you want some of my pictures from this old project, just let me know and I'll see to uploading a few

P.S. I haven't really checked to see if the IS has a fusebox inside the driver's cabin. If there is, and you can add a mini add-a-circuit , it should make installation a snap.
Old 08-16-09, 11:08 AM
xuningshen
Lexus Test Driver

i had texted my buddy before i posted, i waited a while for his response but he wasn't so i then posted. but he txted me back and i feel stupid it was super easy haha. i've just never tweaked with wires before like that, i just cut and crimped the new ones on. Thanks alot for the responses tho,

i didn't know it was hooked up into the dash dimmer thanks!

if thats the case then i wanna get some of those bright cathodes tubes so i can adjust the brightness as i wish, because i loveeee it to be a nice bright blue while driving.

So actually if you wouldn't mind uploading picks from your old project, i'd like see just how bright those are can u link me to some bright cathodes u used?

and yes there is a fuse box inside the cabin.... i need to get some of those so i can install them. I'd probably splice the front two into the existing ones so i can control them with the dash control, but the two rears i could use those mini things because they won't bother my eye sight in the back.

How did you run the wires to under the front seats for the rear lighting? did u just run it under the floor mats ? or did u run it under the carpet?

thanks

Last edited by xuningshen; 08-16-09 at 11:36 AM. Reason: more quesitons
Old 08-17-09, 03:37 PM
haulinick
Driver School Candidate

I ran the wires along the door sill. It just pops right out. then I used a coat hanger to pull it under the carpet to under the seats.
Here's some pics with my LED dome lights turned on as well.

Old 08-17-09, 09:06 PM
xuningshen
Lexus Test Driver

sweet thanks alot for the info bro, much appreciated