IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Mark Levingson Sub blew up? problems?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-09, 10:48 AM
DaKi3241
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mark Levingson Sub blew up? problems?

Hey guys. For some odd reason I have no more bass in my car.

For everyday driving I put on volume 25 windows up and +1 bass. Windows down I crank it to max of volume 30 windows down and +3 bass.

I know it shouldn't be too loud in the first place but one day I heard this wierd cracking and rumble sound in the back. Sounded like the subwoofer was making its own popcorn or something. The next day I turned on the music and now the subwoofer doesn't work at all.... My music sounds disgusting without any kick.

I am wondering if this is a simple fix or I have to take it to the dealership to have them fix it? I have an 07 IS350 and bought it used from the dealership 10,000 mileage. Now I currently have 18,000 miles on it. I pray to God this problem will be covered by warranty?

On a side note, I did thump the ceiling right below the rear domelights and the subwoofer does kick but again with the popcorn type of sound for a good 3 seconds and turns off again. I went to the trunk and did a light thump on the top and it does the same thing. Very very odd....

And yeah please don't flame if i am getting the wrong terms of "subwoofer" I am a noob in sound systems still

Last edited by DaKi3241; 08-11-09 at 10:57 AM.
Old 08-11-09, 10:52 AM
jewel
Lead Lap

ML sub sucks... do a search and you'll see lots of people with issues. This should be fixed by dealer if you are under 50k miles.
Old 08-11-09, 11:04 AM
VikH
Lexus Champion

I have replaced my ML sub twice already.
Old 08-11-09, 11:19 AM
DaKi3241
Lead Lap

Oh wow. interesting. Well I am relieved they are backed by warranty.

oh btw vikh! (good seeing you here and there) but umm you also have jic coils and some modfications to your car. Was the dealership **** about mods? and lastly what was wrong with the sound system that made them replace it?

I'm afraid dealership is going to make some BS up about having too much electricity used or some stuff like that bc of my LEDs halos and HID kits. Please keep me updated!
Old 08-11-09, 12:00 PM
iSuxeL
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's covered so don't worry. I had mines replaced once.
Old 08-11-09, 12:02 PM
DaKi3241
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by iSuxeL
It's covered so don't worry. I had mines replaced once.
thanks isuxel! good seeing you around too
Old 08-11-09, 02:42 PM
DaKi3241
Lead Lap

hey guys. dropped off my car at lexus of glendale. I will keep you guys updated on what news I will get

I spoke to my service manager and he said the ML system wasnt focused on hip-hop bass genre. He said instead of blasting hip-hop and R&B he said ML was supposed to be focused on blasting it with classical music. LOL
(something about not having good backing, muffling, and shell for it to blast on)

Thanks everyone for the info and yep no charge!

Also they were staring at my car for so long. I thought they were going to say something like "void warranty!" lol instead they asked how much was all the installments and was it trully worth it.
Old 08-11-09, 02:54 PM
iSuxeL
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any part you modify they can void but they also have to prove what you did was the cause. There's a name for that law but I can't remember what it was LOL
Old 08-11-09, 04:04 PM
JVT
Lead Lap

I'm not into stereo systems as much, but I've heard of Bose, Harmon Kardon, Kenwood, Alpine, and many others, but I never heard of Mark Levingson until I stepped in the Lexus dealership.

Who is Mark Levingson?
Old 08-11-09, 04:19 PM
XprincoX
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JVT
I'm not into stereo systems as much, but I've heard of Bose, Harmon Kardon, Kenwood, Alpine, and many others, but I never heard of Mark Levingson until I stepped in the Lexus dealership.

Who is Mark Levingson?
Known for there high end audio equip...
http://www.marklevinson.com/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Levinson
Old 08-11-09, 04:26 PM
JVT
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by XprincoX
Thanks for the link/info., looks like Lexus made a great choice!
Old 08-11-09, 04:46 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,828 Likes on 1,290 Posts

Originally Posted by JVT

Who is Mark Levingson?
I think he plays 3rd base for Chicago Mark Levinson, however, is a manufacturer of high quality audio equipment.

Lou
Old 08-11-09, 04:46 PM
VikH
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by DaKi3241
Oh wow. interesting. Well I am relieved they are backed by warranty.

oh btw vikh! (good seeing you here and there) but umm you also have jic coils and some modfications to your car. Was the dealership **** about mods? and lastly what was wrong with the sound system that made them replace it?

I'm afraid dealership is going to make some BS up about having too much electricity used or some stuff like that bc of my LEDs halos and HID kits. Please keep me updated!
Both times there was a rattling heard from the sub at low volume levels. Basically the sub was blown. I don't bump music and my bass is set low. The dealership didn't even think about voiding my warranty for that stuff. No problems.
Old 08-11-09, 05:08 PM
DaKi3241
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by VikH
Both times there was a rattling heard from the sub at low volume levels. Basically the sub was blown. I don't bump music and my bass is set low. The dealership didn't even think about voiding my warranty for that stuff. No problems.
ah thanks vikh!

Yeah thanks everyone for the support and info!

BTW i got a call back from the dealership a good hour ago. They said i blew the sub and are replacing it. They shall have the car ready to go by tomorrow morning. Awesomeness. Just how I wanted the sched to be.

hahaha i thought it was funny how they interpreted my statements on the paper. I'll post a pic when i get a chance xD.

"1. Guest states the subwoofer cuts in and out. Please check and advise.
2. Guest states there is a loud rattle from rear end of cabin when bass kicks. Please check and advise.
3. ******************* NO CAR WASH!!!! ***************** "

lmao
Old 08-11-09, 05:18 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

I would highly recommend going for an aftermarket sub like rocksford fosgate and box it. The ML sub are made out of thin papers.

Quick Reply: Mark Levingson Sub blew up? problems?