IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Problems with braking when AC is on...

Old 07-21-09, 10:47 PM
MsLeng
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problems with braking when AC is on...

Hey folks!

Not sure how to explain the problem I have with my ISx50...but it seems that when I turn on my AC when I turn on my car and whether its gearing into reverse or in drive, when I brake...the car feels like it won't brake right away...even though I'm stepping down on the brake. It feels like it kinda shakes and slowly jolts and then stops. It almost feels like the engine wants to stall but it doesn't and then it goes back to normal...Its happened a couple of times now,

I've come to observe that it only happens when I have the AC is on...so I guess I"ll have to take it to the dealer to see what it is.

Just wondering if anyone else has ever heard of or experienced anything weird like this...I know it sounds weird but since its been hot and I've had the ac on more..I've noticed it more.

THANKS!!
Old 07-21-09, 11:37 PM
Pnuge88
Lexus Champion

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

when braking to a stop light.. yess.. the rpms drop for a sec.. shakes.. feels like its gonna stall.. but goes back to normal.. while a/c is on. supposedly this is normal according to the old thread.. im still iffy about it
Old 07-22-09, 12:23 AM
darkdream
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I always drive with the a/c on so I wouldn't notice any difference... but braking is great for me.
Old 07-22-09, 01:11 AM
kattanh3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by darkdream
I always drive with the a/c on so I wouldn't notice any difference... but braking is great for me.
same here... I am just trying to think out of the box here, normally you'd have your AC on when the weather is hot... possibly a heat related issue and not really linked to the AC?
Old 07-22-09, 02:35 AM
AtlantaGuy
Rookie

Originally Posted by xcaLigrLx
Hey folks!

Not sure how to explain the problem I have with my ISx50...but it seems that when I turn on my AC when I turn on my car and whether its gearing into reverse or in drive, when I brake...the car feels like it won't brake right away...even though I'm stepping down on the brake. It feels like it kinda shakes and slowly jolts and then stops. It almost feels like the engine wants to stall but it doesn't and then it goes back to normal...Its happened a couple of times now,

I've come to observe that it only happens when I have the AC is on...so I guess I"ll have to take it to the dealer to see what it is.

Just wondering if anyone else has ever heard of or experienced anything weird like this...I know it sounds weird but since its been hot and I've had the ac on more..I've noticed it more.

THANKS!!

Sounds like a vacuum leak in one of the hoses. Applying the brakes should not drop the rpm's, let alone to the point of stalling the engine.
Old 07-22-09, 03:32 AM
t0e
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

When I brake and have A/C on, it never gets close to stalling or rattling, something is deff wrong! : /
Old 07-22-09, 08:25 AM
MsLeng
Driver

Hmmm....well at first I thought it was the heat too until I turned on the AC in the morning when it wasn't that hot yet...and it still happened...

Its def not normal....its kinda trippy because now when I'm driving and I have the AC on..I'll stop like 20 feet ahead of time in case my car decides to roll forward =)

Weird!!!!!
Old 07-22-09, 09:11 AM
BoOst3d
Lead Lap

sounds like a vacuum leak or your idle air control valve is faulty
Old 07-22-09, 09:28 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,837 Likes on 2,326 Posts

Originally Posted by Lam N 002
sounds like a vacuum leak or your idle air control valve is faulty
There's no IAC on drive by wire Toyotas. No need for one when you can directly control the throttleplate.

There is definitely something wrong with your engine. Time for warranty work at the dealership.
Old 07-22-09, 09:39 AM
BoOst3d
Lead Lap

oic.....i guess its true when they say u learn something new everyday