IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

front license plate questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-09, 09:26 PM
jchou0615
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default front license plate questions

i was wondering is it legal to take your front license plate off and put it inside your car on the right of the whole dash board?
Old 07-07-09, 09:40 PM
Initial G
Lexus Champion

From the DMV website:

11713.17. (a) Following the retail sale or lease of a motor vehicle for which the department issues two license plates, a dealer may not deliver the motor vehicle unless either of the following occurs:

(1) The motor vehicle is equipped with a bracket or other means of securing a front license plate.

(2) The dealer obtains a signed written acknowledgment from the person taking delivery of the motor vehicle acknowledging both of the following:

(A) The person expressly refused installation of a bracket or other means of securing the front license plate.

(B) The person understands that California law requires a license plate to be displayed from and securely fastened to the front of the motor vehicle and that the hardware necessary to securely fasten the front plate is available from the dealer.

(b) A manufacturer or distributor may not sell or distribute in this state a new motor vehicle for which the department issues two license plates, unless that motor vehicle is equipped or provided with a bracket or other means of securing the license plates.

Furthermore:

5201. License plates shall at all times be securely fastened to the vehicle for which they are issued so as to prevent the plates from swinging, shall be mounted in a position so as to be clearly visible, and shall be maintained in a condition so as to be clearly legible. The rear license plate shall be mounted not less than 12 inches nor more than 60 inches from the ground, and the front license plate shall be mounted not more than 60 inches from the ground.

By the way, it is also illegal to block any part of the front windshield except for a FASTRAK transponder, temporary registration or small parking permit. This would disallow driving with the plate stuck in the dash and partially blocking the windshield. This portion of law makes windshield mounts for GPS or radar detectors illegal.

Hope that helps. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 07-07-09, 09:44 PM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

you can always zip tie it to the lower grill
Old 07-07-09, 09:45 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Whether or not it is illegal, it looks way too 'ricey'. Either leave it off and suffer the consequences, or put it on, but don't stick it on dash.
Old 07-08-09, 01:45 AM
IS350HKS
Lead Lap

XXXX got a ticket cos of that 3 weeks ago. stupid cop
Old 07-08-09, 05:18 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by IS350HKS
XXXX got a ticket cos of that 3 weeks ago. stupid cop
"Stupid" cop for writing tickets for not following the law?
Old 07-08-09, 06:52 AM
gs400998
Lexus Test Driver

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm surprised that many CA cars still pictured without a front plate
Old 07-08-09, 07:07 AM
almacruel
Pole Position

Personally I think that when you put the plate on the dash it attracts more attention... Ex: cop pulls you over for something not related to your front plate, He/she comes to you window and see this huge ugly plate on your dash. Now not only are you getting a ticket for whatever you may have done wrong but also no front plate ticket.
Old 07-08-09, 09:11 AM
outlaws
Rookie

I just took mine off in the front the other day and it looks much nicer. I hope I dont get rolled now!
Old 07-08-09, 10:05 AM
92 SC400
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by gs400998
I'm surprised that many CA cars still pictured without a front plate
Why so surprised? It's like a $15 fix-it ticket in CA. Besides lots of people go around without them without ever having issues. My friend works in a highly patrolled downtown area in the Bay Area and has been driving cars without front plates ever since he's been working there ('97ish).
Old 07-08-09, 10:18 AM
sailing217
Pole Position

I got a $110 ticket in Ohio. No fix-it option.

A month later $60 for no front license plate.

Stupid plate is on the dash when I'm downtown now. It gives them a reason to pull me over and check everything else out. I may be getting one soon.

You can order a automatic switch activated hidden front plate. I researched that option and for collector cars, they have a flip-hidden front plate mount but it's just for car shows and something I'd forget to flip up when parked and no can do if driving.
Old 07-08-09, 10:22 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 92 SC400
Why so surprised? It's like a $15 fix-it ticket in CA. Besides lots of people go around without them without ever having issues. My friend works in a highly patrolled downtown area in the Bay Area and has been driving cars without front plates ever since he's been working there ('97ish).
Agreed, I've driven 2 Porsches over the last 10 years without front plates and without getting a fix-it ticket.

Just in case of front plate or tint ticket, my police officer relative will sign off without question or even looking at the car.
Old 07-08-09, 10:38 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 157 Likes on 92 Posts

Varies by state, so check. In California, I've seen less and less cars w/o a front plate over the years. If you don't have one, it's going to stand out a bit more. When cops and CHP look for a reason to pull someone over (who may be driving okay), it's usually no front plate or front window tinting. Personally, I wouldn't risk it. What worries me is the drive home after dinner or a club and a beverage has been consumed. Don't want any reason to get an "interview," no matter how legal things are.
Old 07-08-09, 12:29 PM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Old 07-08-09, 12:36 PM
silentbob
Driver

i've been sporting the front window tints and no front plates for a couple months now with no issue, although i do get a little paranoid from hearing all the tickets being handed out in cali. i live in irvine, and you'd be surprised how many people in the irvine/newport/costa mesa area have the same setup. i see old moms and dads in their minivans/escalades/E & S classes with no front plate/front tints all the time, and i have to assume they're not getting hassled.

Quick Reply: front license plate questions