IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Sumitomo HTRZ III's

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-09, 08:49 PM
termigator
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sumitomo HTRZ III's

Tired of running on the crappy OEM Turanza's on my 350, I finally went ahead and ordered a set of Sumitomo HTRZ III's a month ago from Tire Rack. I got the stock size for the rear (255/40/18), but I opted for 235/40/18's for the front in hopes of eliminating the stretched out bulging look of the originals. It did.
Well, after running around in the new tires, I have to say, the Sumitomo's are so much better than the Turanza's. Running the same routes that I've previously done with the Turanza's, I have yet to engage the stability control system, whereas they were constantly kicking in when I had the Turanza's. Granted, I've also added the F-Sport sway bar, which also improved the ride tremendously, but I've also had the bar on when I had the Turanza's for a few weeks, so I can honestly say that changing the tires made a much bigger improvement in handling compared to the sway bar.
Ride comfort feels about the same. I know Tire Rack warned that the ride would be harsher because of the HTRZ's higher load rating, but I have not noticed a difference. Tire noise is about the same too, especially when I'm driving on porous roads. The LEXUS LS the IS is not!
All in all, I'm extremely pleased with the way the HTRZ's have performed so far. It has definitely raised the level of performance of my 350 to where I felt it should have been to begin with. I'm sure the PS2's would have been nice. Maybe better, but I just could not see myself spending that kind of money on tires. IMO, the HTRZ's are just about the best performing tires I've come across and if you factor in the price, there is just no equal. I'm planning on getting a set for my wife's 07' Accord EX-L V6 also. I can't wait to see how much better it will perform!
Old 07-05-09, 09:32 PM
funnie
Lexus Test Driver

I agree with you on everything in regards to the sumitomo htrz III tires. I just got a set of them 2 weeks ago and they are way better than the stock turanza tires. It is pretty good in terms of performace. The price for these tires are ridiculously low for a set of the htrz. highly recommended them to anyone looking for a new set of tires.
Old 07-05-09, 09:51 PM
nsxiboi
Lead Lap

I just got these a few weeks ago for the front wheels. They're great! I will soon need to replace my rear tires with these. Can't beat the price and they have great reviews on tirerack.
Old 07-05-09, 09:52 PM
Phiber
Lead Lap

would you recommend this over Toyo T1R or Falken FK452?
Old 07-05-09, 10:52 PM
XhyDra
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Phiber
would you recommend this over Toyo T1R or Falken FK452?
Hm I'd say Toyo T1R and FK452
Old 07-06-09, 12:26 AM
jns350
Lexus Champion

I had a pair for my rear tires....good price, sticks pretty good, decent low noise....but for some reason they did seem to wear out quickly.
Old 07-06-09, 12:33 AM
KI_GSE21
Lead Lap

I've had a set of Advan RS with Falken FK-452 tires. The tires were a great bang for the buck and the grip was exceptionally well.

If you are looking for super sticky tires, go with Toyo T1R or Nitto Invo. Beware, they are quite expensive and they do wear out quick, needing replacement quite often.

Generally, the lower the treadwear rating, the stickier the tires. Whenever you go with lower treadwear rating, sticky tires, they will wear faster. Anything below treadwear 300 is considered ultra high performance or sticky. Anything with a 200 treadwear is very sticky and has a short usable life.

With tires, it is hard to get the best of both worlds. Personally, I like Falken FK-452 as it is a very affordable and high performance street tire. More than enough for everyday use and spirited driving.

Let me know if you have any questions.
Old 07-06-09, 12:52 AM
HighImStan
Pole Position

I got into a minor accident once and had to replace my front left Michelin PS2 with one of these. They stick to the road pretty well and wears slowly. However, it was noticeably louder than the ps2. It was pretty obvious. When my order came in and I replace the HTRZ, the interior sound level was quite again.
Old 07-06-09, 04:36 AM
mikez
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Once you wear it down, the tire noise is insane lol.

I am on 5k miles now on my HTRZ II and it howls like a wolf on the highways lol
Old 07-06-09, 07:34 AM
funnie
Lexus Test Driver

dang .... u just ruined my day mikez!!!
Old 07-06-09, 10:54 AM
mikez
Lexus Champion

Well if its any comfort to you, I will get them again.

It is super noisy, so noisy on certain roads some times I want to kill myself, but I owe a lot to them. They perform well, and their tire walls are super cushy, I've hit pot holes so hard the tire dressing from the tire walls got on to my rim's lip via physical contact (thats how much the tire got deflated during the impact), and there are no bubble on tire, and no damage to the rim. God bless those tires lol
Old 07-06-09, 10:56 AM
termigator
Rookie

Originally Posted by mikez
Once you wear it down, the tire noise is insane lol.

I am on 5k miles now on my HTRZ II and it howls like a wolf on the highways lol
Are you talking about the II's or III's? They're different tires.
Old 07-06-09, 02:40 PM
funnie
Lexus Test Driver

i was just kidding mikez, but man that is really bad to hear that after 5k the tires start to be noisey. maybe you have sensitive ears like a bat? or maybe i will get lucky and my tires wont howl like a wolf after 5k miles. I've only got 200 miles on them. So far so good. htrz III FTW! owwwwwwwwwwww !!!!!!!!
Old 07-06-09, 02:44 PM
mikez
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by termigator
Are you talking about the II's or III's? They're different tires.
The III are the next gen's, I have II's, but they share the same trait of being noisy when worn down, I looked it up.

My ear is sensitive, but its super loud unfortunately, that is the only downside of those tires from my research.
Old 07-06-09, 03:35 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

I have these on mine and I am satisfied with them. A lot better than the OEM tires. Great price too

Quick Reply: Sumitomo HTRZ III's