IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

2009 IS250 AWD causing my right leg/hip to hurt!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-09, 01:25 PM
VikH
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just trade your car in for a RWD. Fixed!
Old 06-26-09, 03:47 PM
Phiber
Lead Lap

Is there a picture of how the bump looks like?
Old 06-27-09, 02:59 AM
love67
Lexus Test Driver

i use that bump to rest my leg, haha...but i will get uncomfortable after 2-3 hours of drive.
at first i thought every IS has this bump until tommy from music box told me -o-"
here is the pictures of the bump:

Last edited by love67; 06-27-09 at 03:12 AM.
Old 06-27-09, 07:06 AM
docboy
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Love67, how tall are you?

When test driving the IS250 AWD, I knew there was this "bump" but didn't think it would be a big deal. Just thinking about it gets my right leg/hip to hurt.

Looking at some of the other cars (i.e. Acura TL w/AWD, G37x, 328/335xi, and the WRX) I wasn't aware of any major "bumps," except in the G37x, where the rear middle seat had a "hump."

How tall are some of you other IS250AWD drivers out there?
Old 06-27-09, 07:09 AM
2IS 'R' US
Lead Lap

I'm 5'10" and I have my seat setup where my leg clears the hump. I'll have to check when I drive her later.
Old 06-27-09, 07:16 AM
docboy
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by 2IS 'R' US
I'm 5'10" and I have my seat setup where my leg clears the hump. I'll have to check when I drive her later.
Would you mind posting your seating position? Our heights are similar, I'm 5'11"

Btw, I noticed your signature. RIP My 2005 Acura TSX
Old 06-27-09, 07:36 AM
2IS 'R' US
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by docboy
Would you mind posting your seating position? Our heights are similar, I'm 5'11"

Btw, I noticed your signature. RIP My 2005 Acura TSX
Yup, I'll have my fiancee snap a few pics of me sitting in there later today.

Yeah, she was totaled by a few high school kids in a GMC Jimmy running a red arrow at an intersection
Old 06-27-09, 07:49 AM
Evil Teo
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

i also had this problem at first but i did my whole seat position and my leg goes over it and avoids it. problem fixed.
Old 06-27-09, 07:56 AM
PaPaHoFF
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Im 6' 2" and anything over 1 hour is a killer on my legs lol. Even if its like 5 minutes at night time after a long day my legs hurt. Then again I've also gotten into a car accident when my previous Mazda 6 was totaled and I have nerve damage on my legs so it could just be that. I normally start out semi close to the wheel and as it hurts, I move the seat back a little each time and it buys you some more comfort as required for longer drives.
Old 06-27-09, 09:51 AM
Phiber
Lead Lap

Wow, that bump looks killer....
Old 06-27-09, 01:06 PM
love67
Lexus Test Driver

im 5'9"......sometime i feel my leg and lip were very very tired after 2-3 hours drive and start to very uncomfortable, but i don't know if it's because that bump tho...
how did that bump bothers you again?
Old 06-27-09, 03:49 PM
docboy
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by love67
im 5'9"......sometime i feel my leg and lip were very very tired after 2-3 hours drive and start to very uncomfortable, but i don't know if it's because that bump tho...
how did that bump bothers you again?
When I have my right foot on the accelerator, it's fine...

It's when I take my foot off the pedal (ie. after accelerating and trying to coast and/or slow down), my heel has no where to rest. My heel, after accelerating, is always crooked and at an angle. The bump prevents my heel from being at rest.

If I use cruise control and try to rest my right leg, the leg cannot remain in a natural resting position. It HAS to lie at an angle against the bump.

This "BUMP" is getting beyond annoying, to the point of causing repetitive stress disorder. It's not something one would pay mind at first during the initial viewing and test drive. But repeated drives and long commutes reveals a major ergonomic design FLAW.

Sounds funny I admit, what can a little bump can do right? But when the right leg and hip becomes sore and painful, and starts to spasm, I become very annoyed and angry, esp when I pay around $40k for a luxury car. Why the hell did I pay that much $$ and now am sick when I even think of driving the car???
Old 06-27-09, 04:14 PM
docboy
Pit Crew

Okay, so I came back from the dealership for the 1k mile service. I complain to the service guy and sales manager about the "bump." They claim they have never heard of such a thing.

Service guy says there's nothing they can do to change the design. Obviously... I ask them to smash the bump away; they decline my request (I figure I try.)

Sales guy/manager also deny ever hearing anything of this sort. Of course they tell me I can trade it in for a RWD 250 or 350, and even suggest I trade it in for a GS AWD. I am set on AWD, so I take a look at the GS, and boom, same annoying BUMP. What the hell??? So I leave the Lexus dealership annoyed. Lexus did tell me to adjust my seating position.

I then go to Infiniti, so curious again to see if the G37x sedan has the same annoying bump. Lol and behold, there is a very tiny protuberance on the driver's side, and a slightly larger one on the passenger's side, but FAR more acceptable and comfortable. I drove the G37x again, and am able to rest my foot/heel/leg. Infiniti claims Toyota did not redesign the AWD vehicle, and simply moved the steering wheel from the right to the left to accommodate US drivers; says it costs too much to redesign the AWD casing properly. I'm tending to believe Infiniti on this one.

Now Infiniti offers to buy my 250 and sell me a 09 G37x for $11k. Dam, what a rip. One literally looses $10k just driving off a new car off the lot. Though Infiniti does not have the name or panache of Lexus, I'm beginning to see that the G37x is a superior car with a overall better design.

Lexus. Luxury and comfort my a$$... Right now I feel the IS is built for people 5'5" and under. Heck my salesperson is barely 5'.

To be honest, today I have adjusted the seat quite a bit. My right leg/heel/hip seemed a little better, but time will tell very quickly. I'm very tempted to trash this 250 and get a G37x. What a poor financial mistake this Lexus was...
Old 06-27-09, 04:33 PM
love67
Lexus Test Driver

i know what you mean, i just sit my my brother IS300 and my AWD...for me, it's still acceptable. i just took some pictures on how my leg lay on that bump.
my leg basicly lay on that bump and the center thing all the time:

this is how i accelerating and even when im not accelerating, my foot is still on the accelerator or brake.

and this is when im on cruise control:

i hope this help your leg and hip...
and sorry im a hairly leg, haha!
Old 06-27-09, 05:03 PM
Byprodrive
Lexus Champion

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by docboy
Okay, so I came back from the dealership for the 1k mile service. I complain to the service guy and sales manager about the "bump." They claim they have never heard of such a thing.

Service guy says there's nothing they can do to change the design. Obviously... I ask them to smash the bump away; they decline my request (I figure I try.)

Sales guy/manager also deny ever hearing anything of this sort. Of course they tell me I can trade it in for a RWD 250 or 350, and even suggest I trade it in for a GS AWD. I am set on AWD, so I take a look at the GS, and boom, same annoying BUMP. What the hell??? So I leave the Lexus dealership annoyed. Lexus did tell me to adjust my seating position.

I then go to Infiniti, so curious again to see if the G37x sedan has the same annoying bump. Lol and behold, there is a very tiny protuberance on the driver's side, and a slightly larger one on the passenger's side, but FAR more acceptable and comfortable. I drove the G37x again, and am able to rest my foot/heel/leg. Infiniti claims Toyota did not redesign the AWD vehicle, and simply moved the steering wheel from the right to the left to accommodate US drivers; says it costs too much to redesign the AWD casing properly. I'm tending to believe Infiniti on this one.

Now Infiniti offers to buy my 250 and sell me a 09 G37x for $11k. Dam, what a rip. One literally looses $10k just driving off a new car off the lot. Though Infiniti does not have the name or panache of Lexus, I'm beginning to see that the G37x is a superior car with a overall better design.

Lexus. Luxury and comfort my a$$... Right now I feel the IS is built for people 5'5" and under. Heck my salesperson is barely 5'.

To be honest, today I have adjusted the seat quite a bit. My right leg/heel/hip seemed a little better, but time will tell very quickly. I'm very tempted to trash this 250 and get a G37x. What a poor financial mistake this Lexus was...
I have the same problem with my IS350 I'm 5'10" 180 lbs & I readjust my seat every time I get in my IS & never find a good seat position. The IS 2nd gen is the worst car seat position I have ever driven, & I used to test drive new cars 8 hours a day 5 days a week. The left A-pillar is in my line of sight when I sit up straight, this is somewhat unavoidable with a steeply raked windshield. I use cruise control alot & sometimes put my right foot between the brake & gas pedal even thou it is dangerous since it is a tight fit & slows my braking reaction time. My Piloti driving shoes help alot because the rounded heel helps eliminate stress points & help you pivot from gas to brake without lifting your foot. Honda/Acura may be the best at ergonomic engineering another of the many standard features you may never see but love anyway

Quick Reply: 2009 IS250 AWD causing my right leg/hip to hurt!!