IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

DIY : transmission flush and fill

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-09, 10:49 PM
blue_dlb
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default DIY : transmission flush and fill

The following are instructions I got for A760H manual transmission and my way of doing it. Find your transmission code by opening your driver's door, do not look on the door but the door opening, you will see your vin number, below the vin number is your transmission code. I bet it's the same procedure for all ISx50.

Tools need:
-15x16 Wrench
-Allen Key
-2-4 quarts of WS transmission fluid.
-14mm socket
-2 new crushable washer
-oil pump
-lots of rags
-2 jack stands
-2 jacks
-leveler
-creeper

1. Jack up the front end and put the jack stands on both side.

2. Jack up the rear with the jacks at both ends.

3. Crawl under the car, use the leveler from side skirts to side skirts.

4. Adjust the two jacks in the back, up and down to level.

5. Crawl under the car, use the leveler from the front of the car, to the back and repeat step 4 until it's leveled.

6. By the time, you have leveled your car the engine/tranny would have cooled a little by now.

7. Drain the fluid from the Drain plug, please see image entitled "drain over flow". Circled in green is the drain plug. After you drain, you can also remove the overflow plug circled in blue of the same image.

8. After the fluid have been drained, put a new washer on the drain plug and tighten. Leave the overflow unplugged.

9. Remove the fill plug, see image entitled "fill hole", it's circled in red.

10. Fill through the fill hole using the oil pump until you start to see fluid trickling out of the overflow hole.

11. Close the overflow hole but DO NOT use a new washer yet. Close the fill hole.

12. By this time, your car would have cool down alot. My procedure will not require jumping pins 4 and 13 nor will we, backyard mechanic, have the intelligent tool that lexus has to read the transmission temperature.

13. Simply start the engine, Shift to the manual shifter and go down slowly to 1. Then slowly go all the way up to 6. This is to circulate the new fluid.

14. Let the engine idle for about 10-15 minutes to warm up the engine. Because fluid expands and contracts based on temperature, we need to be at normal operating temperature in order to check the fluid level correctly. Basically the shifting from D and N and letting the D light come on just means that the transmission fluid is now at normal operating temperature and the fluid has expanded to the right amount. 10-15 minutes of idling should take you there.

15. Stop the engine, open the overflow hole. Put a new washer on the bolt and close up the overflow hole when fluid starts to trickle down.

16. Open the fill hole and add another half quart.

17. Close the fill hole and your done.

My brother's friend who is a master technician at toyota told me this is an appropriate procedure. Yeah he is from toyota but some of the new vehicles have the same type of transmissions.

Use this procedure at your own risk.
Attached Thumbnails DIY : transmission flush and fill-drain-over-flow.jpg   DIY : transmission flush and fill-fill-hole.jpg  
Old 06-22-09, 10:59 PM
t0e
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

I take it, this procedure CANT be done on AUTOMATICS.......
Old 06-22-09, 11:35 PM
eric_r_ho
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That would be an automatic transmission. Manual transmissions are a WAY easier process of drain&fill. This DIY is definitely on our automatic transmissions. Wouldnt you want to remove the oil pan and change the filter inside too in order to do it RIGHT all the way?
Old 06-23-09, 04:16 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Congrats.

You have now done a ton of work to change about 10-15% of the fluid that the people who make the car tell you never needs to be changed and voiding your transmission warranty.

Removing the pan entirely doesn't even get 1/3rd of it out of the system.
Old 06-23-09, 04:17 AM
Koz

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Do yourself a favor and leave your automatic trans alone. It is maintenance FREE. All you are doing is wasting time and money. If you insist on changing the fluid, let the stealer do it. You could do more harm then good!

I don't understand why some people have to fix something that is not broke! Whatever

Koz
Old 06-23-09, 06:20 AM
B16da9
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

What every one else is telling you is correct. The proper way to service these transmissions is with a hydraulic pump. It pressurizes the transmission sucking out the old fluid and filling it with new fluid at the same time.

Also that should only be done at what ever mileage the manufacturer’s states is should be done at. None serviceable just means none serviceable by your every day home mechanic as I’m sure the auto tranys do need an oil and filter change some time down the road.
Old 06-23-09, 08:01 AM
stvincent
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 22 Posts

^ that being said.. what's the recommended interval from the manufacturer? i had a mechanic telling me to change @ 30k, other mechanic told me @ 90-100k. i'm sure it needs to be changed at some point, i don't think it's maintenance free (at least not by me). just getting this mixed opinions..
Old 06-23-09, 08:48 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by stvincent
^ that being said.. what's the recommended interval from the manufacturer? i had a mechanic telling me to change @ 30k, other mechanic told me @ 90-100k. i'm sure it needs to be changed at some point, i don't think it's maintenance free (at least not by me). just getting this mixed opinions..
There isn't one.

READ THE MANUAL.

The transmission does not require service. Period.

You can't use a traditional fluid exchanger to change it either- there's no place to hook it up to.
Old 06-23-09, 11:13 AM
blue_dlb
Rookie

For those of you who are speaking up. Have you done this before? Have you checked to see what color your transmission fluid is? This may not be for the average joe but for those backyard mechanics out there, this is a must. My car has 27K miles and when i flush the old fluid out, it was not red at all. The new fluid was bright red. Also almost 4 quarts came out of mines. It's a fairly easy task for the backyard mechanic. I wish someone had posted info for me instead of me having to research it myself and reading the actual lexus manual online.
Old 06-23-09, 11:18 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by blue_dlb
For those of you who are speaking up. Have you done this before? Have you checked to see what color your transmission fluid is? This may not be for the average joe but for those backyard mechanics out there, this is a must. My car has 27K miles and when i flush the old fluid out, it was not red at all. The new fluid was bright red. Also almost 4 quarts came out of mines. It's a fairly easy task for the backyard mechanic. I wish someone had posted info for me instead of me having to research it myself and reading the actual lexus manual online.

You mean the one that explains you're never supposed to change the fluid?

The system holds almost 10 qts of fluid BTW.
Old 06-23-09, 02:07 PM
blue_dlb
Rookie

^^ sounds to me like you are not a backyard mechanic then this information is not for you. Yes i know the whole system holds about 10 quarts. I read the manual online. You can do the flush and fill step a couple more times if you'd like. All i know is that now my fluid drips out red from the overflow hole. Anyways i'm sure someone will find this DIY useful. I believe there is another thread discussing whether to perform this procedure or not. This particular thread is not for that discussion.
Old 06-23-09, 02:48 PM
bangdangvn
Lead Lap

I have a SC300 and was told to change it every 30-40K miles...but new to ISx50 scene. Not sure who is right or wrong but you get an A for effort!
Old 06-23-09, 04:19 PM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

the color of the fluid does not determine the "useful life".....
Old 06-23-09, 06:12 PM
SGMIS3
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes i agree that there is no point in changing it, but thanks for the DIY.....

the more the better =P
Old 06-23-09, 07:07 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

^^ sounds to me like you are not a backyard mechanic then this information is not for you. Yes i know the whole system holds about 10 quarts. I read the manual online. You can do the flush and fill step a couple more times if you'd like. All i know is that now my fluid drips out red from the overflow hole. Anyways i'm sure someone will find this DIY useful. I believe there is another thread discussing whether to perform this procedure or not. This particular thread is not for that discussion.
I've built entire engines, swapped injectors and fuel pumps, rebuilt carbs, installed just about every part you can on a car and changed the fluid in just about every part in a car that contains fluid... but no, I'm not a "backyard" mechanic, I've worked in an actual garage.

One important skill there is learning to read a manual.

Like the one that tells you the transmission shouldn't be serviced. Ever.

Changing 1/5th of the fluid each time and then doing 5 or 6 changes to hope you maybe got "most" of it out is more likely to introduce contamination into your previously SEALED transmission than any good you'll be doing swapping lifetime fluid out of it.

Don't you think if Lexus -could- be jacking you for fluid changes every 30k miles they'd rather be doing so? (and I'm sure some dealers find suckers such as yourself who also lack a wrench and charge them for the minor fluid exchange you just did despite the owners manual explicitly telling you to NEVER do that).

Here's the manuals exact wording BTW-

"Note: The transfer case/transmission and transmission fluid are a completely sealed unit. Therefore, periodic checks and replacement of the transmission fluid are not required, and there is no dipstick on the transmission."

Last edited by Kurtz; 06-23-09 at 07:17 PM.

Quick Reply: DIY : transmission flush and fill