IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

HELP! My IS 250 has sprung a leak!?!?!?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-10, 10:01 PM
Ki11switch
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by edgeucated
hmm after reading the TSB, all I see is that they remove some kind of plug from underneath the car. Where does it state that you have to take apart the dash and replace with newer stuff?
Its for the new carpeting and cleaning of the car of mildew, but i called lexus to see why my car was not under warranty and they told me it should be so they are giving my dealer a call in the morning.
Old 09-21-10, 10:03 PM
lexusis305
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thats the new tsib is to lower the tranny but you dont need to the old tsib you had to remove the dash but some tech were doing this it was just remove drain plug
Old 09-22-10, 09:03 PM
rog1206
Pit Crew

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Ki11switch
I tried everything. Talk to the rep, manager, then they called warranty services and they said this part is not covered. Well i decided to remove the grommet myself since that is was is causing the problem. I just lowered part of my transmission and looking for the grommet to remove. If anyone has an idea on how this thing looks it will greatly be appreciated.
Tried to remove the grommet myself but couldn't undo the midpipe bolts (they were so rusted that I managed to snap the head right off the bolt) but I was still able to drop the tranny about an inch at most. With out dropping the transmission, you'll be able to see it if you stick mirror up into the transmission tunnel on the driver side toward the front of the tranny. Its just a black round rubber thing and the surrounding area is the unpainted part of the frame. Laying down underneath the car with your head pointed the toward the back of the car, count the drainpan bolts on the driver side starting from the front driverside corner. The grommet will be directly above the tranny between the 3rd and 4th bolt.

After dropping the tranny and burning my forarms from the hot transmission, water started dripping on my face! I guess mine isn't clogged yet but I continued to try and remove it anyway. Since I couldn't actually see what I was doing due to the cramped space and doing everything by touch, I could feel the grommet with my fingers but couldnt just put my whole hand back there and yank it out. I did manage to use a hooked shape pick to tear the slit on the grommet to make it bigger. There was also some foamy stuff around it that I tore out but I doubt that's going to do any harm.

Opps, forgot to mention that I also removed the nut holding the heat shielding on the driver side exhaust pipe and prying them out of the way. This game me more wiggle room for my arms. I imagine someone who is smaller than me and has really tiny arms and hands can probably reach back there. This job would be a lot easier on a lift....than on my back!

Hope this helps anyone trying to tackle the job on their own.
Old 09-22-10, 09:08 PM
mahcah
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 34 Posts

Anything new ki11switch?
Old 09-22-10, 09:13 PM
lexusis305
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

if your under 50 k it coverd but if not it just a rubber cover and it can be removed but must do it from under the car it on top of the tranny in the center must be cold due to having put your hand around the sides i tell you because am a lexus tech and do this evey day in and out
Old 09-25-10, 08:17 PM
edgeucated
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

do you guys think tommy at musicbox would be willing to do this?
Old 11-05-10, 08:43 AM
kingmich
Driver School Candidate

Angry Row Row Row your Boat

Yes, I found an inch of water in the floorboards of my 06 IS250 yesterday and after I put on my snorkel and life vest, I swam under the seats to find it soaked on both sides. I've noticed a old sponge smell for the last few months, on and off, but thought it was just the a/c. The car gets cleaned all the time, and I've never noticed this before. I called Sacramento Lexus, and they said maybe I have a cracked tail light, and that is where the water came from. No. Try again. Then they said it could be one of the four sunroof drains that is plugged up. But to know for sure, I would need to authorize $130 dollar diagnostic charge. This has been my 4th unpleasant interaction with Sacramento Lexus, and even though they are owned by the same company as Roseville Lexus, it seems that Roseville always treats me with respect and Integrity.
I'm on my way to Roseville now, in hopes of a free repair, according to the TSB that you all have been speaking about.
Old 12-11-10, 05:06 PM
kingmich
Driver School Candidate

Post Update- Leak inside cabin

My good friends at Roseville Lexus resolved my issue, free of charge. The evaporator in the a/c has a drain, and was plugged. there is a flap that prevents spiders from crawling inside, and when it gets clogged, the flap gets forced closed, causing the drain to overflow inside the car.

Originally Posted by kingmich
Yes, I found an inch of water in the floorboards of my 06 IS250 yesterday and after I put on my snorkel and life vest, I swam under the seats to find it soaked on both sides. I've noticed a old sponge smell for the last few months, on and off, but thought it was just the a/c. The car gets cleaned all the time, and I've never noticed this before. I called Sacramento Lexus, and they said maybe I have a cracked tail light, and that is where the water came from. No. Try again. Then they said it could be one of the four sunroof drains that is plugged up. But to know for sure, I would need to authorize $130 dollar diagnostic charge. This has been my 4th unpleasant interaction with Sacramento Lexus, and even though they are owned by the same company as Roseville Lexus, it seems that Roseville always treats me with respect and Integrity.
I'm on my way to Roseville now, in hopes of a free repair, according to the TSB that you all have been speaking about.
Old 05-16-13, 11:07 AM
stef_khan
Driver School Candidate

Hi Everyone, it's been a while since last reply, but I'll reply anyway.

Yesterday I discovered what I think is a leak in my 06 IS250 (139k miles). The rear passenger side carpet is wet and has a gross looking brown stain around the edge of the carpet (see pic attached). The carpet is a little moist but not soaking wet and it does not smell. I'm not sure how long this has been happening, but this is the first time I'm noticing it and I'm pretty observant.

I'm guessing its one of the issues suggested in this thread, either a/c draining issue or sunroof draining issue. Obviously my car is way out of warranty, but I'll be taking it to JM Lexus in Margate asap.
Attached Thumbnails HELP! My IS 250 has sprung a leak!?!?!?-5-16-2013-2-05-36-pm.jpg  
Old 05-16-13, 11:11 AM
stef_khan
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by lifeisgood
Had the same problem at around 60k miles. Carpet was soaking wet, and insulation under the carpet had bled through and stained the light colored carpet a red/rust color. Took the dealer a month to make the repair. Total cost was $4 grand to fix the drain and replace the carpet. I appealed to Lexus Customer care and the dealer told me that Lexus would pay half, and this was not subject to negotiation--in other words take it or leave it. I called Lexus Customer care and told them that I thought this was a design defect and they should pay 100% but got nowhere.

I happened to be reading my auto policy found in the comprehensive section that water damage was covered. I called the insurance company, asked if the damage caused by the ac leak was covered and they said while unusual, yes it would be covered. After they sent out an adjuster, they said they would cover the carpet replacement $2 grand, less my $500 deductible.

Later, the dealership said that they would apply my insurance reimbursement to offset anything paid by Lexus. I went ballistic and told them that they did not pay for the auto policy and had no claim on any benefit.After escalating it to a higher level, the dealer backed down. When I finally picked up my car, I noticed my GPS was losing position. After resetting it three times, I went on the forum and figured out that they probably did not reconnect the nav unit when they took out the dash. I called and they said that was highly unlikely, but long story short, that is exactly what had happened.
Hi, what was the final outcome of your issue? Did you end up paying anything out of pocket? I'm going to review my insurance policy to see if it covers water damage. I just replied to this thread with details of my issue, but I'm assuming that my carpet will need to be replaced also. I was originally intending to replace my currently tan carpet with black anyway, but it is very pricey (I believe dealer quoted $2k to replace). Hopefully they will be willing to cover a part of the cost.

Update: my insurance policy covers water damage under collision....this may be route I'll have to take depending on how much the cost is. $500 deductible

Last edited by stef_khan; 05-16-13 at 11:15 AM.
Old 07-07-13, 04:15 PM
sebas
Driver School Candidate

My 2006 IS250 just fainted too, i just got back from a 700 miles trip with a/c running steady and my floor mats are soaked. I supposed there are still no recalls on that ''common'' problem? I was aware of that possible problem when i bought the car. I checked the mats and it was ok (just about 3 months ago), i guess it was a question of time. Any advise? I will also check with my insurance (i live in Montreal,Canada)
Old 07-09-13, 01:40 PM
sebas
Driver School Candidate

Lightbulb

UPDATE! (sorry for my english...i am french speaking!)
my car is now repaired! I am lucky it happened while i drove for a long trip so i could see the water problem after only a few hours, because the biggest damage can be done IF you dont see the water dripping. If you drive your car daily for a few miles, the water drips slowly and can make moisture, mildew and odors will appear. You probably would have to replace the whole floor maps/carpet.
I had the carpets folded on each side to the middle console and removed the foams to let them dry, ran the fan overnight. Everything is settled nice and dry. Sprayed some mold control spray to make sure...

WHAT WAS THE PROBLEM? Easy: a small whole from a small rubber plug was clogged from what looks like mud or something. After the tranny support loosed up, you can access it. It is just over the transmission. The mecanic took a small tool and took the dirt out. Water flows perfectly now. And, to my surprise, the dirt was coming from UNDERNEATH the vehicule, not from inside!
My advise to you....have it checked and cleaned ANNUALY, you should not have any problem afterwards....
Hope this tip could help a few persons
Old 05-25-15, 01:06 AM
Badassboi
Driver School Candidate

Default super soaked

Have anyone know where all the drain holes at? Like can you take pictures. Cuz my back seat floor mat be soaked. Plz help
Is350
Old 05-26-15, 09:22 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by IS-SV
Haven't noticed any yet, but I haven't driven the car much since fix and haven't been checking under car lately.

Over the next couple of weeks I will check under car more often and check for window fogging when I turn off AC compressor.

I actually expect that the fix was done properly (per TSIB). I was getting feedback from a good SA that morning while the car was on the lift and the diagnosis by tech was made.
Followup on my 2007 IS350 after drain fix: Yes, it does drip water on garage floor in warm weather. So drain seems to work properly. I don't recall having any problems with window fogging since fix.
Old 05-26-15, 03:43 PM
Placemtrs
Driver School Candidate

Just bought my car a few weeks ago and noticed the rear floor boards damp to the touch as well. I knew car being an '07 is out of warranty so I tackled it myself. I drove up on a set of rhino ramps and removed the small plastic trans shield. I then used my cell phone video camera as my eyes as I leaned it at just the right angle above the transmission and got a hold of the plug with a small pair of pliers and yanked it out. Not really that hard of a job just make sure your car is cooled down and you have flexible arms. lol If anyone is in my area that needs help with theirs I'd be happy to help.

Quick Reply: HELP! My IS 250 has sprung a leak!?!?!?