IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

How do you change the cabin filter?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-09, 06:51 PM
strife
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do you change the cabin filter?

My IS250 didn't come with an owner's manual so I'm sol for the moment. I did find a guide for IS300....

Do you change the cabin filter the same way on IS250 and IS300?

I've attached the guide for IS300.. could anyone verify it. Thanks in advance.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
DIY Cabin Filter Replacement.pdf (312.4 KB, 705 views)
Old 05-25-09, 06:54 PM
2slow
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nope. It's way easier.

1.Go to your glovebox and pull out that piece that's in there. (the piece that gives you 2 levels.) Take off the cover that's in the way of the cabin filter. you're done.
Old 05-25-09, 07:38 PM
Pmach
Rookie

Here's a picture for you
How do you change the cabin filter?-cabinfilter.jpg
Old 05-25-09, 08:15 PM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 255 Likes on 225 Posts

Originally Posted by 2slow
Nope. It's way easier.

1.Go to your glovebox and pull out that piece that's in there. (the piece that gives you 2 levels.) Take off the cover that's in the way of the cabin filter. you're done.
Whoa Nelli!!

First put the air control to recirculate. If you don't do that, you'll break the linkage when you try to open the door, necessitating a VERY expensive repair.
Old 05-25-09, 09:13 PM
2slow
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Bichon
Whoa Nelli!!

First put the air control to recirculate. If you don't do that, you'll break the linkage when you try to open the door, necessitating a VERY expensive repair.
OOPS YEAH! my car is always on recirculation...
Old 05-25-09, 11:57 PM
strife
Rookie

this may be a dumb question...

recirculation means the circulation option on the left... with the arrow that goes in full circle.. right?
Old 05-26-09, 12:07 AM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Received 291 Likes on 230 Posts

Yeah it means the "inside" option
Old 05-30-09, 11:28 AM
is4fsr
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just replaced my air cabin filter. The filter housing(door) was tight (almost vacuum sealed). But after I opened the housing and replaced the filter the housing moves freely now. Is this normal?
Old 05-30-09, 11:46 AM
LexusTexas
Rookie

thought I had read that someone just ran the filter through the clothes washer instead of replacing it. Anyone? Can you get a new one at autozone?
Old 05-30-09, 11:55 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 576 Likes on 396 Posts

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...er-change.html

The OP in that thread has a step by step guide with pics. His server seems to be down now but hopefully it'll pop back up
Old 05-30-09, 01:39 PM
is4fsr
Lead Lap

Whoa Nelli!!

What linkage?
The cabin air filter door/housing was tight - almost vacuum sealed- but I was able to open it. I followed the instructions in the manual, put in recirc mode. Now the door/housing moves freely and when I test drove the car I noticed air was coming in from the front vents on recirc mode, same as in refresh mode. Now I'm not sure if I damage the linkage.
Hopefully the dealer can fix this under warranty if linkage is broken.
Out of curiosity - how expensive is this repair?
Old 05-30-09, 02:19 PM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 255 Likes on 225 Posts

Originally Posted by is4fsr
What linkage?
The cabin air filter door/housing was tight - almost vacuum sealed- but I was able to open it. I followed the instructions in the manual, put in recirc mode. Now the door/housing moves freely and when I test drove the car I noticed air was coming in from the front vents on recirc mode, same as in refresh mode. Now I'm not sure if I damage the linkage.
Hopefully the dealer can fix this under warranty if linkage is broken.
Out of curiosity - how expensive is this repair?
You say the system was in recirc mode, but I don't think it was. Forcing it was VERY foolish, the flap opens easily when the system is in recirc mode.

When the linkage breaks, the car stays in fresh air mode all the time. From what I've heard, the repair costs $250-300 labor, plus parts. There is some pretty significant disassembly of the dash/knee airbag. Parts could be as much as $600 if the servo motor broke and has to be replaced, or much cheaper if things just came apart. Technically it isn't covered by warranty because you broke it, but if you're a good customer perhaps the service writer will look the other way and pretend he doesn't know what happened.
Old 05-30-09, 03:12 PM
is4fsr
Lead Lap

You say the system was in recirc mode, but I don't think it was. Forcing it was VERY foolish, the flap opens easily when the system is in recirc mode.

When the linkage breaks, the car stays in fresh air mode all the time. From what I've heard, the repair costs $250-300 labor, plus parts. There is some pretty significant disassembly of the dash/knee airbag. Parts could be as much as $600 if the servo motor broke and has to be replaced, or much cheaper if things just came apart. Technically it isn't covered by warranty because you broke it, but if you're a good customer perhaps the service writer will look the other way and pretend he doesn't know what happened.
I did not put too much force to open it though. It was tight but I only used my two finger to pop it open. Not that strong in my opinion. Anyways, hope the dealer looks the other way as you mentioned. If not I'll either cough up $300 or just live with fresh air mode all the time. I could also just close the vents. Thanks for the info.

Or pretend I never even replaced the filter. I still have the old one. Maybe I'll put the old one back and then take it to the stealership.
Old 05-30-09, 05:58 PM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Received 268 Likes on 216 Posts

Just replaced my air cabin filter. The filter housing(door) was tight (almost vacuum sealed). But after I opened the housing and replaced the filter the housing moves freely now. Is this normal?
Rookie mistake but cost $1000 to fix it. I doubt it can be repair under warranty
Old 05-30-09, 06:58 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,826 Likes on 1,288 Posts

Or pretend I never even replaced the filter. I still have the old one. Maybe I'll put the old one back and then take it to the stealership.
If you do that, and get away with it, then who's the "stealership"

Lou

Quick Reply: How do you change the cabin filter?