IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Need Help !! IS250 2007 Rattling sound from Glove compartment.

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-17, 06:10 AM
Avinash250
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy Need Help !! IS250 2007 Rattling sound from Glove compartment.

Hi, I have a 2007 Lexus Is 250..
last few days I am experiencing this irritating rattling sound coming from the glove compartment. it gets high when speed goes above 60-70.
i tried to drive with some paper towel stuck in the compartment cover and shut it closed, that worked but I know that is not the solution.
please help if someone had or has the same issue and found a solution to that.
I searched this on the internet and someone suggested to check the plastic rack inside the glove compartment because it has a tendency to pop out of the socket. but it wasn't that.
in fact, I took it out and drove but still experienced the same problem.
Please Help if someone has a solution to this.
the sound is more like a thin metal vibrating, if this help.
Old 01-12-17, 04:10 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

I have several rattles from that area, and have narrowed it down to several different things.

1) The plastic contraption that holds the air filter. This needs to be snapped or positioned all the way in or else it rattles like crazy.

2) Glovebox door easily rattles over time. I just push on the door and the rattle stops. The permanent fix would be some very thin velcro strips along the inside edges to fill in the gaps so it closes tighter. I haven't done this yet, but will once I find some thin, sticky, velcro straps to attach.

3) Something metal at the base of the passenger dashboard, below the glovebox door, rattles internally. I get this at higher speeds in more humid weather, but it disappeared this winter. You can reproduce the same noise simply by opening the glovebox door and pounding on the bottom, inside area. It's more of a metal, squeak/chirp noise. I have no idea how to have that one fixed, other than the dealer opening things up and tightening or shoring it up with a piece of something. I was just happy to be able to manually reproduce it after trying to find the spot for years. When I get my melting dash replaced, the plan is to have this addressed at the same time since it should all be off and open.

Good luck!
Old 01-13-17, 06:55 AM
Avinash250
Driver School Candidate

Default Thanks for the Help, and i also have some suggestions for you.

@fizzboy 7

I was looking for the rattling problem on google and I saw this one solution somewhere, this guy used this fizzy tape in that exact location that you told me about.
I looked up on amazon yesterday, to check if I can buy this but then i though about going to AutoZone first to see if they carry it and i can buy it right there and try it this weekend. since amazon will get it delivered on Monday.
I am leaving a link for you for an idea.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...rds=fuzzy+tape

I just searched for "fuzzy tape"

Sir, I don't know what your location is but I got my melting/reflective (when driving towards the east for work every morning) dashboard at the Lexus location of fort worth, texas. (Bryant Irvin road).
the trick is to be there customer for oil change or something, because only then they will help you.
its a long free labor work that they don't want to provide you for free.

I'll check the fuzzy tape trick and will update you if that work, and also from whIre i ended up buying it from.

Thanks brother.
The following users liked this post:
Fizzboy7 (01-14-17)
Old 01-13-17, 08:09 AM
See5
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

+ Ensure to put the owner's manual above the plastic part inside the glove compartment.
The following 2 users liked this post by See5:
Avinash250 (01-13-17), Fizzboy7 (01-14-17)
Old 01-13-17, 01:17 PM
Avinash250
Driver School Candidate

Talking Don't have it

Sir,
That can not be the issue since I don't have one in there.
Old 01-13-17, 03:54 PM
JM1995
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Dash rattle is annoying! I believe it is a common problem with our cars. Sometimes I hear rattling from the glove box and others from the top near the windshield. It comes and goes lol. Just bump your music!!! Lol
Old 01-17-17, 09:37 PM
fobbdeep
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a problem just like this- on/off rattling coming from the glove box- had it checked out and the shop identified the cause as one of the fans that activates as part of the A/C circulation mode. I have to admit that that's the best I understood of it- the way it is described on my invoice is "Air Inlet Servo Motor." Instead of replacing it, I just had him unplug it- sound is gone but I'm sure there is some funcion that died with it- hope this at least helps if you had the same problem as I did.