IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Alloy Wheel Corrosion/Bubbling

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-09, 07:57 AM
aron7awol
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alloy Wheel Corrosion/Bubbling

It seems that corrosion or bubbling on Lexus alloy wheels is fairly common. I've read in a few places that people have had them replaced under warranty. If anyone has had theirs replaced or had a dealer refuse to replace them, please post here how bad it was, if they replaced them, and what region you live in. Also, does anyone know where in the warranty this coverage is listed so I can bring it with me to the dealership when I go?

Thanks in advance.
Old 05-14-09, 09:19 AM
ELL Y
Lexus Test Driver

I asked someone who said he was going to try to get it replaced by his dealer to tell me. But no word.
If you have any such luck, it'll give me more courage to contact my dealers here.
I thought it was just like normal "wear and tear"

btw, i have the 17" ones
Old 05-14-09, 10:04 AM
mikez
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I was at the dealer this week and I was looking through their service lots and quite a bit of the 17" AWD wheels on customers who don't wash their brake dust off are corroded like no tomorrow, they were bubbling and flaking, it was gross.
Old 05-14-09, 10:35 AM
moses0324
Driver

I have the same problem. I plan on discussing this with Hoffman Lexus of East Hartford when I go in for my next service...

FWIW...I clean my wheels regularly even during the winter months...I couldn't believe the amount of corrosion!!!
Old 05-14-09, 11:02 AM
ELL Y
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mikez
I was at the dealer this week and I was looking through their service lots and quite a bit of the 17" AWD wheels on customers who don't wash their brake dust off are corroded like no tomorrow, they were bubbling and flaking, it was gross.
that's like me. it would also be nice if i could get that changed cause i have curbage on my wheels (yeah i'm a noob).
Old 05-14-09, 11:13 AM
HID Fan
Driver School Candidate

This also happened to me last year. The dealership replaced all four wheels with no hassle under warranty. I just showed them one wheel that had slight bubbling and told them they all had it, which they did, and they were replaced. One of my wheels actually had a curb rash and they did not even mention that. Although I am not sure if there were actually replaced by new ones or if they were just repaired by a wheel repair company. Either way they look new. I live near Schaumburg Illinois and went to a Schaumburg Lexus Dealer. Hope this helps.
Old 05-14-09, 12:56 PM
aron7awol
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the replies so far. Good to see someone got theirs replaced with no issue. Only two of my wheels have the corrosion after a quick inspection today, one of which also has some curb scrapes (from the previous owner, I've only owned my '08 a month) and I'm hoping they don't say they can't do it because of that.
Old 05-14-09, 01:13 PM
moses0324
Driver

^^^did you buy from a dealership...

i have issues in the past when dealerships have been reluctant to fix certain items because the vehicle was not purchased as a brand new vehicle...they stated that certain repairs and perks were only given to customers whom purchased brand new.

i.e. audi would not repair my peeling radio because i purchased a CPO.
Old 05-14-09, 01:28 PM
aron7awol
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by moses0324
^^^did you buy from a dealership...

i have issues in the past when dealerships have been reluctant to fix certain items because the vehicle was not purchased as a brand new vehicle...they stated that certain repairs and perks were only given to customers whom purchased brand new.

i.e. audi would not repair my peeling radio because i purchased a CPO.
Good point. I'm somewhat afraid something like this might happen, actually. I bought it privately but it is still under factory warranty. My understanding is it is Lexus Corporate who foots the bill for all warranty repairs and not the dealer, so the dealer shouldn't care, but who knows what will happen. I will call Lexus Corporate if the dealer rejects me or try another dealer.
Old 06-15-09, 06:27 AM
aron7awol
Driver School Candidate

Finally brought my car in to the dealership and showed them the wheels. They sent all 4 out to get refinished, no questions asked. I got my car back a couple days ago and couldn't be happier with the results. They look brand new again. It also took care of the curb rash that was on a couple of the wheels.
Old 06-15-09, 10:41 AM
jc86
Driver

Originally Posted by aron7awol
Finally brought my car in to the dealership and showed them the wheels. They sent all 4 out to get refinished, no questions asked. I got my car back a couple days ago and couldn't be happier with the results. They look brand new again. It also took care of the curb rash that was on a couple of the wheels.
awesome =)

was it still under warranty? cause i have curb rash =( on one of my stock rims i wonder if i can bring it in and get them refinished hah
Old 06-15-09, 10:48 AM
aron7awol
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jc86
awesome =)

was it still under warranty? cause i have curb rash =( on one of my stock rims i wonder if i can bring it in and get them refinished hah
It is still under warranty. I just want to be clear that the reason they refinished my wheels was because of the corrosion/bubbling. The curb rash disappearing was a beneficial side effect

Try to find some corrosion on your wheels.
Old 06-15-09, 11:52 AM
moses0324
Driver

im going to bring my car in this week...
Old 06-15-09, 10:21 PM
jc86
Driver

Originally Posted by aron7awol
It is still under warranty. I just want to be clear that the reason they refinished my wheels was because of the corrosion/bubbling. The curb rash disappearing was a beneficial side effect

Try to find some corrosion on your wheels.
there is, but it is minimal like you actually have to really look for it... do you have any pics of what your corrosion/bubbling looked like for a comparison shot?
Old 06-16-09, 07:16 AM
aron7awol
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jc86
there is, but it is minimal like you actually have to really look for it... do you have any pics of what your corrosion/bubbling looked like for a comparison shot?
I don't have pictures. It was pretty bad on a couple (on about half of the spokes), very minimal on one, and almost impossible to find on the 4th. I'd still bring it in. It's definitely worth a shot.

Quick Reply: Alloy Wheel Corrosion/Bubbling