IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Alloy Wheel Corrosion/Bubbling

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-09, 02:03 PM
lexoticus
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have bubbling/corrosion on all four of my rims radiating from the center cap. The dealership here in HI said they will replace all four at no charge.
Old 07-23-09, 09:22 AM
Lancer2.4
Driver School Candidate

I am just curious to find out whether this is covered by the Bumper to Bumper Warranty or if this is covered by the Paint/Rust Warranty? Does anybody know for sure?
Old 07-24-09, 02:35 PM
TrymyIS
Driver School Candidate

Two of my wheels were having the bubbling issue, I was fearful of the dealership replacing them due to the curb rash (done by previous owner). However I showed the service guy at McGrath Lexus in Westmont, IL and they had no problem with ordering two new rims and getting them mounted on my car. I was at 46K when I brought them in as well.
Old 07-25-09, 01:16 PM
DJSirkit13
Driver

i just showed the bubbling to my dealer and he took pics of the worst one on the left rear wheel but he said he would show it to his manager once they verify the wheel wasn't painted before by them and then order 4 new wheels for me
Old 07-25-09, 04:44 PM
Isblue
Pole Position

All of mine are like that in between the spokes and thought someone repainted them but i guess not, ill ask the dealer sometime this week.
Old 07-25-09, 10:25 PM
2IS 'R' US
Lead Lap

Wow, I'm glad I'm not the only one who have had this problem. I asked my service guy about my wheels when I took it in for the recall work. He couldn't make the decision himself, but the lady who does was on vacation. So I waited a week or two and called him back and he said the wheels have already been ordered and will call me when they come in to replace all 4 wheels.

This pic says it all:
Old 07-25-09, 10:58 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I think the corrosion is more on cars that have filthy wheels. So most likely on the east coast, midwest, or on the wheels of womens cars
Old 07-26-09, 02:03 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 170 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
I think the corrosion is more on cars that have filthy wheels. So most likely on the east coast, midwest, or on the wheels of womens cars
I don't know how much that is the case, but LOL @ the women comment.
Seriously, I agree about the dirty wheels lending more corrosion. I hope ya'll are waxing your rims when you wax the car. The finish on there needs as much protection as possible, especially if you live in snow/salt areas.
Old 07-26-09, 10:16 AM
moses0324
Driver

i just got mine re done...they came out excellent.
Old 07-26-09, 01:37 PM
2IS 'R' US
Lead Lap

I zaino my wheels when I do my car also....I guess that doesn't help that much
Old 07-26-09, 06:00 PM
BounceNY
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by moses0324
I have the same problem. I plan on discussing this with Hoffman Lexus of East Hartford when I go in for my next service...

FWIW...I clean my wheels regularly even during the winter months...I couldn't believe the amount of corrosion!!!
Went there a couple of months ago with this issue and they wouldn't do anything about it. Also went to another dealership, same thing. They said its prob bc I left the brake dust on there too long or some BS like that. I, as most of you, wash my car very frequently.
Old 07-26-09, 07:18 PM
moses0324
Driver

^^^check your PM. it seems like dealerships are handling this issue differently.

i think it has to do with a variety of things...

where you bought your car?
did you buy it brand new?
where do you have it serviced?
are your wheels curbed?

all things play into the decision of what the dealership will do...i was helped under what is called a good will service...i dont think lexus has a tsib in place for the issue
Old 07-26-09, 07:30 PM
raytseng
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by 2IS 'R' US
I zaino my wheels when I do my car also....I guess that doesn't help that much
From autopia and others, zaino and other polymer treatments look nice and will last long, but don't actually provide as much of a "protective" layer as wax.
Do wax your wheels with something more protective, I happen to use collinite 845, but it does look like collinite also has 850 designed specifically for metal .

Also my advice is to stay away from wheel cleaners once you've got them clean. On my old 1990 LS400 which did get wheel cleaner treaments, the rims are corroding as well. Once waxed, car wash suds and a tire brush should be able to remove dust without extra harsh cleaners..
Old 07-26-09, 08:14 PM
2IS 'R' US
Lead Lap

^^Hmmm, I'll have to use wax next time. Where do you get this Collinite stuff? Any other waxes that are recommended?
Old 07-26-09, 08:20 PM
raytseng
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by 2IS 'R' US
^^Hmmm, I'll have to use wax next time. Where do you get this Collinite stuff? Any other waxes that are recommended?
Search for collinite on intertubes and it'll come up pretty regularly. Just about all auto-detailing supply sites carry it. check out the CL sponsers if you want to support CL.

Also "supposedly" found at brick and mortar WestMarine or other marine-type stores although I've never checked.

Quick Reply: Alloy Wheel Corrosion/Bubbling