Old 12-15-14, 03:54 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:
  • Car Value
    Important information to help you understand your Lexus

Browse all: General Overview
Print Wikipost

does debadging really lower your car's value?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-09, 05:29 AM
8speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Magellan
That’s a prime reason why not to debadge. Some people who know cars will think you’re phony, trying to pass your 250 off as a 350.

Furthermore, I believe many prospective buyers of a debadged car will associate the mod with spirited driving, thereby making it less attractive as a reliable used car. In that respect the debadging would lower its value.

unless it's an F
Old 05-10-09, 07:26 AM
Phil888
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by AS~IS
Hahaha... Just pop the hood, and the dealer will see through it.

Phil, they probably just gawk and stare with awe at your car. :P
Wald inspires admiration.
its kind of funny when 99% of people asked me what model is Lexus Wald.. "IS it new or where can I buy this model from" LMAO.. I just tell them its special order
Old 05-10-09, 07:59 AM
AS~IS
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Phil888
its kind of funny when 99% of people asked me what model is Lexus Wald.. "IS it new or where can I buy this model from" LMAO.. I just tell them its special order
Hahaha! It sure looks like a special "sports" model lol!
Heck... It could be a new model since it costs a pretty penny just for the kit lol.
Old 05-10-09, 09:48 AM
maxnix
Driver

Smile Think Twice and Save The Old Parts

Many buyers who are buying up to a Lexus want people to know what they are driving.

The truth is, almost all modifications lower value unless you can find a buyer of the same mindset who is willing to pay a premium for what modifications are on the car. Limited audience = smaller pool of buyers willing to pay market value.
Old 05-10-09, 10:24 AM
09 LEX 250
Driver

Originally Posted by joeker
not just talking about the actual lexus logo, but the text "lexus" and the IS 250/350.
no man........
Old 05-10-09, 12:21 PM
Shoganai
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a 350 and i would debadge the car for a cleaner look...
Old 05-10-09, 12:33 PM
VF84
Pole Position

13 yrs ago, my friend debagded the "0" from his w202 c280 and made a "c28 amg" , full amg body kit, amg exhaust, amg rims, and the requisite amg badge.. kinda refreshing i thought. didn't think it was phony cuz he still left the "28" in there . his parents would ask what happened to the "0", he'd say it fell off hahahaha
Old 05-10-09, 12:44 PM
8speed
Lexus Test Driver

I knew a guy who removed the 325i badge from his beemer and replaced it with an M (not M3) because he told me with his exhaust and intake his car was "M" powered........just not an M3

classicallyandepicallyfailure
Old 05-10-09, 04:30 PM
Magellan
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by IS-SV
Yes, because the selling dealer can easily (and at low cost) rebadge if they prefer to.
And what if it’s a private sale? Or must all debadged cars be traded in to a dealer?
Old 05-10-09, 07:04 PM
huddleston
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by is-sv
yes, because the selling dealer can easily (and at low cost) rebadge if they prefer to.
+1...........
Old 05-11-09, 03:00 PM
slowandlow
Lead Lap

if there was no holes i would take off the 250 and leave the awd.
if your car has the fallowing you should de badge.
on juce or bagged debage
has carbonfiber debadge
if your car is stock on stock rims debadge = epc fail
Old 05-11-09, 03:52 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Magellan
And what if it’s a private sale? Or must all debadged cars be traded in to a dealer?
Same answer:

"Yes, because the selling dealer can easily (and at low cost) rebadge if they prefer to".

Replace the words "selling dealer" with "selling party". Hopefully you can handle it.
Old 05-11-09, 03:54 PM
Magellan
Lead Lap

Let me put the resale value of a debadged car another way. Picture an average prospective buyer (other than a dealer) checking out the car. His thoughts could be as follows:

“Hmmm, nice looking IS, I’ve have a closer look.
That’s interesting it’s debadged.
Well, that may be OK.
But what is it? I was looking for a 350, and I can’t tell if it’s a 250 or a 350…..something about the brakes should tell me, but I can’t remember.
Perhaps if I look at the engine…no, both cars are V-6’s, so I can’t tell from that either.
Neither will most other people. I want my friends at least to know I bought a 350 without explaining it to them every time.
At least he left the Lexus logo on the trunk. But the words LEXUS are gone. Seeing just an L, my Uncle Charlie who is not a car expert may ask me later why I bought a Land Rover!
Let me look closer at the trunk area. No, I don’t see any bumps where the holes were filled in, but doesn’t that mean the owner painted the whole trunk? I thought such paint jobs are not as good as factory paint because it’s not baked on. And I wonder if the new trunk paint will fade in a few years differently than the rest of the car.
The owner says the debadging has a cleaner look. I’m not too sure. Maybe such owners who do this sort of thing also drive their cars harder, faster and more aggressively. I’m not too sure how that enhances long engine/transmission life and how it will fare as a reliable used car.
Nah, I think I’ll pass on this one.”
Old 05-11-09, 03:59 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Perhaps the sky would fall too.

IMHO, I think people are spending thousand on mods that actually lower the resale value of the car, so in those cases it's a double whammy. Increased depreciations combined with out of pocket expense during the period owned, now that's a thought...............
Old 05-11-09, 04:45 PM
Magellan
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by IS-SV
Same answer:

"Yes, because the selling dealer can easily (and at low cost) rebadge if they prefer to".

Replace the words "selling dealer" with "selling party". Hopefully you can handle it.
Sorry, I’m not handling it. You’re suggesting a "selling party" can rebadge at a low cost. Well first, there is a cost, which is really the topic of this thread. And any prospective buyer who would want the badges put back as part of the deal might just a well shop for a car with the badges already there, thereby again, making a debadged car less desirable, leading to a lower selling price.

The best such a selling party can hope for is a buyer who likes and prefers a debadged IS. Now I admit there are such buyers, but they certainly are not the majority of buyers, thereby shrinking the buyer’s pool considerably.

Quick Reply: does debadging really lower your car's value?