IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

NEED HELP wheels won't stay balanced

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-19, 10:32 PM
KG024
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default NEED HELP wheels won't stay balanced

I have a 2012 Lexus IS 250 and recently bought new wheels and coilovers. While driving 55+, I notice shaking in the seat/floor of the car and slightly in the steering wheel. I have had them balanced 2 times now, got alignment, and installed hub centric rings. 2nd time balancing the wheels/tires the vibrations went away but 2 weeks later the shaking is back again. I want to get a road force balance but America's tires said my back tires are not supported for my vehicle. Anybody know of reliable tire shop in the socal area with a road force balance (orange county)?

Specs on wheels & tires:
Rep wheels ESR Sr01 19x8.5 & 19x9.5
Tires Hankook Ventus v12 225/35 & 255/30

Coilovers: Tein Street Advanced

Last edited by KG024; 09-10-19 at 08:55 PM.
Old 09-09-19, 01:14 PM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,477 Likes on 1,232 Posts

I'd venture to guess you have a bent wheel. They will balance fine but induce a shake if the bead area has runout.
Check wheel runout on both inner and outer lips.
Old 09-09-19, 01:46 PM
kevin3344
Lexus Test Driver

Received 181 Likes on 162 Posts

It could also be warped rotors. Do you feel the vibration while braking?
Old 09-09-19, 03:11 PM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Here is the catch; a bent wheel on the front will make a pretty good vibration when braking and has nothing to do with rotor condition. It has everything to do with loading and weight transfer whereby a flat spot on a rim makes the car shake but not the steering wheel like an out of balance wheel is known to do.

Out of balance rear: your butt shakes in the seat.. actually the whole car.
Out of balance front: the steering wheel shakes.
Bent wheels can shake anytime but are more prominent when loaded...
Old 09-10-19, 09:26 AM
KG024
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 2013FSport
I'd venture to guess you have a bent wheel. They will balance fine but induce a shake if the bead area has runout.
Check wheel runout on both inner and outer lips.
Wheels are brand new and only 2 months old, no bend or cracks. The second time I got the wheels static balanced it fixed the vibrations for 2 weeks. The vibrations came back last week and I feel it more in the seat or body of the car. So I think its the back wheels that are out of balance. I am going to get a road force balance today and hopefully it will take care of this issue. Could it be that I went with to low profile tires in the rear? If the road force balance doesn't fix it, I am thinking it could be defective tires, something wrong with the new coil overs, or I need to replace the ball joints. Has anyone else ever experienced this issue were your tires won't stay balance. Sucks when your car isn't fun to drive
Old 09-10-19, 09:27 AM
KG024
Driver School Candidate

Here is the catch; a bent wheel on the front will make a pretty good vibration when braking and has nothing to do with rotor condition. It has everything to do with loading and weight transfer whereby a flat spot on a rim makes the car shake but not the steering wheel like an out of balance wheel is known to do.

Out of balance rear: your butt shakes in the seat.. actually the whole car.
Out of balance front: the steering wheel shakes.
Bent wheels can shake anytime but are more prominent when loaded...
Ya I feel like it's the back wheels because the shakes are felt in the seat or body of the car.
Old 09-10-19, 09:28 AM
KG024
Driver School Candidate

I have metal hubcentric rings.
Old 09-10-19, 09:48 AM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Take pictures of where the weights are and record how much is there per wheel. Yes, defective tires can cause issues. Usually it shows up with runout when spun.

Road balance can be useful but before I get there I simply inform the tech I want it spun BUT DO NOT remove any weights just to see if they get repeatable results of zero zero. If no, they are doing something wrong.
The following users liked this post:
speedEasy (09-11-19)
Old 09-10-19, 09:52 AM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Hubs off center is huge bumpy bad deal. Likely not it as it starts as soon as you move.

Shock dampers and worn joints are almost never the cause if wheels run true, tires run true and wheels are balanced.

I would still check the wheels for runout.
JM2C
Old 09-10-19, 09:57 AM
RX469
Pole Position

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

Subscribing to learn what your issue is..
Old 09-10-19, 11:07 AM
kevin3344
Lexus Test Driver

Received 181 Likes on 162 Posts

Has anyone else ever experienced this issue were your tires won't stay balance.
Yes, as I've mentioned above it could be your rotors. Had the same issue years ago. Brand new tires, balanced, aligned. All suspension components such as ball joints were good. Any bent rims I had professionally straightened by McNair Performance here in Raleigh, NC. Vibration occurred between 55-65 mph but not at lower (<45) or much higher (80+) speeds. Sometimes I would also feel a pulse in the steering wheel under heavy braking. Diagnosis was a warped rotor. Had the rotors turned and brake pads replaced but sometimes a minor vibration was still there. New rotors solved the problem.
Old 09-10-19, 03:14 PM
KG024
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by kevin3344
Yes, as I've mentioned above it could be your rotors. Had the same issue years ago. Brand new tires, balanced, aligned. All suspension components such as ball joints were good. Any bent rims I had professionally straightened by McNair Performance here in Raleigh, NC. Vibration occurred between 55-65 mph but not at lower (<45) or much higher (80+) speeds. Sometimes I would also feel a pulse in the steering wheel under heavy braking. Diagnosis was a warped rotor. Had the rotors turned and brake pads replaced but sometimes a minor vibration was still there. New rotors solved the problem.
That is a good point, my rear rotors and pads need to be replaced. I actually have a brand new set waiting to be installed. But I thought I would only feel vibrations when breaking, so it can give vibrations when not applying breaks? I am going to put on the new rotors and pads on Thurs.
Old 09-10-19, 04:42 PM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

I suppose if your calipers are stuck it could but as a rule of thumb no, there is no impact as the pads are pushed away.

350 rotors run 110 rear/ 140°F front on a 80°F day from a freeway run coasting to a stop.

If yours are over 200° in the rear, the caliper has too much drag and/or brakes need bled.

Edit: that said if the rotors are not seated as they have rust under them, well your wheels will wobble. Again, not vibration induced by the brakes per say, rather rust under the rotor tipping the wheel. And ya, a clean assembly from new brake parts and it seems like a brake job fixed it.

Last edited by 2013FSport; 09-10-19 at 05:07 PM.
Old 09-10-19, 09:02 PM
KG024
Driver School Candidate

I suppose if your calipers are stuck it could but as a rule of thumb no, there is no impact as the pads are pushed away.

350 rotors run 110 rear/ 140°F front on a 80°F day from a freeway run coasting to a stop.

If yours are over 200° in the rear, the caliper has too much drag and/or brakes need bled.

Edit: that said if the rotors are not seated as they have rust under them, well your wheels will wobble. Again, not vibration induced by the brakes per say, rather rust under the rotor tipping the wheel. And ya, a clean assembly from new brake parts and it seems like a brake job fixed it.
Thanks for the advice, I am going to install my new rotors and pads on Thursday. I got a road force balance and the tech said wheels are true and not bent. Road force balance did not fix the vibration issue, either the tires are defective or its the brakes. So fingers crossed by replacing the rotors this will fix my issue. If that doesn't fix it then I am going to put my stock wheels back on, then I will know the tires are defective.

Last edited by KG024; 09-10-19 at 09:55 PM.

Quick Reply: NEED HELP wheels won't stay balanced