IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Need Help- Part 1: XM radio acting weird

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-09, 05:32 PM
mikes rx
I use "..." ....... a lot

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Need Help- Part 1: XM radio acting weird

Since I'm about to go to the dealer for my recalls, I figured I'd find out if a few of my "observations" are shared among the CL community, so I can get them checked out if necessary (since going to the dealer isn't the most convenient).

This one is part 1, and deals with the XM radio.

A couple of times now (most recently, tonight), my XM acts weird when changing stations to one with a different satellite.

What happens is that when I switch from one channel to another, it will change stations but the XM cuts in and out as if the signal is blocked. It's like it never locked in on the satellite, and it just keeps going in and out every second. And, it will continue to do this on any station I switch to, but sometimes a station will have ZERO speaker output.

What makes it even more weird, though, is that throughout ALL of this, the radio is actually changing the station and receiving the artist/station/etc info, and will display it on the screen.

Further, the only way to fix this problem is to SHUT DOWN the car, as to reset the radio. Turning the radio on/off, or switching from XM1 to XM2 to another source alltogether, does nothing to alleviate the problem.

Has anyone else had this issue before????? BTW, I have non-nav, not that it should matter though.
Old 03-30-09, 05:49 PM
OutGolfn
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mike,

Not sure if this will help much, but I had the same exact issue in my Infiniti FX back in 2006. It was actually the oem xm unit going bad. The antenna was receiving the data fine since the data was being displayed on the headunit correctly. However the only way I could correct the problem was to cut the car off and then back on. I went to infiniti and had them swap the xm unit out of the trunk and it was perfect. Never happened again. I know their different cars but the problem was exactly what I had, so I thought I'd give you my 2 cents.

Good luck!
Old 03-30-09, 05:51 PM
mikes rx

Originally Posted by OutGolfn
Mike,

Not sure if this will help much, but I had the same exact issue in my Infiniti FX back in 2006......
Actually, that does help.

I don't recall ever reading on CL about the problem, but I did a quick search and found these topics already

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...actory-xm.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...o-problem.html

I guess I may have to call Sewell tomorrow regarding it, although I really don't want to have to take out all the panels of the trunk for like the third time.....might not be worth the hassle

Last edited by mikes rx; 03-30-09 at 06:01 PM.
Old 03-30-09, 05:56 PM
mikes rx

BTW, the descriptions that these members had mirror mine, so mods feel free to lock if you wish. Sorry for needlessly adding to the server.
Old 03-30-09, 06:29 PM
steedis250
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just an FYI mine still does it after getting a replacement unit. It just happens less often.
Old 03-31-09, 03:29 AM
mikes rx

Originally Posted by steedis250
Just an FYI mine still does it after getting a replacement unit. It just happens less often.
Thanks for the info. If that's the case then I'll probably just live with mine for the time-being, cause I've only had it happen like 4 times in the last 10 months.

Now, if only there was a way to reset the radio without turning off the car.....