IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

A Little Foglight Retro Teaser!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-09, 02:09 PM
Tchan1
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default A Little Foglight Retro Teaser!!

Well, have been thinking about doing this retro for awhile and I finally decided to do it. Took me some time to find the right price for some fogs.

For the retro I am using Bosch mini clear projectors (Sorry all the pics were taken with my Iphone)

These projectors accept H3 bulbs, so I will be using a 4300k H3 HID kit. I could probably cut up the bulb holders and somehow make a d2s bulb fit, but it would be too much trouble, so I just went with the H3s.

This is the output of the projectors with no kind of modification, just put in the bulbs and that's it! By the way these have the flat cutoff shields, so it accepts HID quite well and does not create any glare because of the flat cutoff.

Here is a pic

Notice the very nice color band.

Now on to opening up the foglights. I basically pre-heated the oven at 275 degrees for about 10 mins. Then I turned off the oven and stuck the foglight in and let it sit in there for 10 mins. When time was up I just used a big flat head and gently pried it apart.

Here's what it looks like, there are four parts. The lens, shroud, shield and the housing.

For the bezels I will be using the Ace Hardware flanges that you can find at the plumbing section and to mount the projectors I will be using L-brackets.

With the bezel I had to trim the opening to make it bigger for the projectors to fit through. So I used a dremel to sand down the inside to make the opening bigger.

Here is how it looks like with the opening bigger and mounted onto the shroud.

Now to the pics of mounting the projectors and cutting the backside of the reflectors.

Here is a pic of the projectors mounted on the reflector using the L-brackets.

Here is the backside dremeled out.

Here are some more pics of it mounted onto the housing.

Once the projectors were fired up and tested to see if they were straight, the brackets and screws were dabbed with JB weld to hold it tight so it won't more around. Hence the gray goo all around the screws and brackets.

Well time to close everything up!
Old 03-30-09, 02:10 PM
Tchan1
Pole Position

Basically you do the same thing with the oven prep and stick the foglight back in. When it's done take it out and and push it back together. I used some clamps to hold it down, plus it will put pressure on it while I let it dry.

Here are some pics

Now it looks just like OEM! Like it came out the factory like that.

That is only one side done. I will be doing the other side now, when I am done I will post more pics of it on the car.
Old 03-30-09, 02:12 PM
w1ck3d64
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

that's awesome man! wish i was as techie as that haha...nice!
Old 03-30-09, 02:12 PM
weesped
Lexus Champion

this is pretty mean, i want to get it done too.
Old 03-30-09, 02:14 PM
ELL Y
Lexus Test Driver

Hey
that is a sick looking fog light. Will definitely make this a future mod. Those Bosch Minis look fantastic. I'm surprised you were able to fit that bigass ace shroud in there too. Let's see some final output shots when you're ready
Good work again!

Where did you find those Bosch Minis? Please let me know if you find them on sale =)
Also, do you plan on eventually wiring the fog lights up to your battery via relay harness? Just wondering how cluttered the engine bay will look if there's two separate relay harnesses coming off of the battery

Last edited by ELL Y; 03-30-09 at 02:19 PM.
Old 03-30-09, 02:22 PM
ExTrEmE99
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

You should so do this for me

Seriously....
Old 03-30-09, 02:28 PM
ELL Y
Lexus Test Driver

oh hey I just saw your WTB thread for E30s on the forums. I may have some available (determining if I will use it), so pm me if you need. They're very mint.
Old 03-30-09, 02:34 PM
blk250
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

damn..U got skills man....please post some night pics when you are all done..!
Old 03-30-09, 02:52 PM
dangy
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

WOW. I could never do that kind of stuff myself.
Old 03-30-09, 02:57 PM
jns350
Lexus Champion

Hey..Hey...I love lighting mods FTW!!!!...where did you get the mini's Just as ELL Y was inquiring too. It has been in the back of my mine to do this also. I always have big respect to peeps willing to try these custom mods!!! Anybody can buy things to slap on their car .....But it takes big Cahones and out of box thinking to get these types of mods done. Well done...and please post installed pictures afterwards!!!!!!
Old 03-30-09, 03:07 PM
Tchan1
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ELL Y
Hey
that is a sick looking fog light. Will definitely make this a future mod. Those Bosch Minis look fantastic. I'm surprised you were able to fit that bigass ace shroud in there too. Let's see some final output shots when you're ready
Good work again!

Where did you find those Bosch Minis? Please let me know if you find them on sale =)
Also, do you plan on eventually wiring the fog lights up to your battery via relay harness? Just wondering how cluttered the engine bay will look if there's two separate relay harnesses coming off of the battery
Thanks, oh yea for the ace flange there are a couple of size, 2" opening (The ones we used on our headlights) 1.5", and 1". I am using the 1.5" opening one and they fit perfectly on the shroud. Just have to shave the inside to make the opening bigger.

The relay harness I already have on the car, because I currently have HIDs on my fogs right now. I just fed the harness under the airbox where there is a opening and connect it to the passenger side fog and then run the rest across the bumper re-enforce to the driver side.
Old 03-30-09, 03:08 PM
Tchan1
Pole Position

Oh yea for the mini projectors I found them on ebay. He is a member at HIDplanet.com but I guess he decided to sell them on ebay instead of on the site.
Old 03-30-09, 08:31 PM
Shoganai
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

wanna do mine... good job, looks sick
Old 03-30-09, 08:43 PM
vboy418
Lexus Champion

looking good!
Old 03-30-09, 08:54 PM
iSuxeL
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is there a price for this?

Quick Reply: A Little Foglight Retro Teaser!!