IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Why I can never go back to HID kits in halogen projectors... Pic Intensive

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-09, 08:23 PM
ELL Y
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Why I can never go back to HID kits in halogen projectors... Pic Intensive

Just figured I'd share pictures of my own headlight conversion.
I'd like to thank forum members Mahcah and Tchan1 and Retrofitter HIDIllusionz (A HID retrofitter in NYC whom I personally dealt with) who installed the retrofit for me as well as mounted it

Equipment: Blacked out Headlights, Lexus SC430 Projectors, BMW E30 Clear Lens, Philips 85122+ Bulbs, 55W DDM Tuning HID Ballasts, ACE flanges

My Old HID H11 PNP Kit from Mod-Express Output Shots:

Look at the hideous glare above the cutoff, and note the short width of the beam

Here's a new pic of the same wall. I had to scale the picture back since the output is so much wider now. You can compare the sidewalk two cracks in the pictures if you don't believe me.

And now for some new output shots:

Big thanks to member 100Plus (Alex) for coming out to take some comparison shots of his stock HID vs. my retrofit. His lights were misaligned, but you can still see a distinct difference:

His Stock HID output with IS350 Xenon projectors, which are still a remarkable improvement over my kit in the halogen projectors.

My HID output from roughly the same angle and same picture settings

His Stock HID cut off at ~ 20 feet. His lights are aimed higher than mine.

My HID output cut off at ~ 20 feet.

Thanks for looking

Last edited by ELL Y; 03-17-09 at 07:28 PM. Reason: Added more pictures.
Old 03-16-09, 08:25 PM
mikez
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

WOOOWWWWW makes me :'( why the OEM IS HID final light output suck so freaken much.
Old 03-16-09, 08:38 PM
jamminlol
Driver

very sick, nice work
Old 03-16-09, 08:40 PM
Kaydee
Hacked CL to become a Mod

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

did Rich do it for you? the man is a God

Last edited by Kaydee; 03-16-09 at 08:49 PM.
Old 03-16-09, 09:27 PM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Received 550 Likes on 369 Posts

Do you have pictures of the headlights? Those pictures make me want to do a hid retro.
Old 03-16-09, 09:33 PM
PaPaHoFF
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice where in NY you get your housing blacked out? How much too? I am looking to get this done.
Old 03-16-09, 09:33 PM
ELL Y
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks for the compliments guys. Yes, I had Rich do it for me. I met up with him in Brooklyn, as I had all the parts beforehand, and had him mount the projectors and black out the housings. He's a great guy to work with, but I bought the parts myself since TSX or even S2000 projectors aren't as good as modded SC430s

I'll get some pictures of the headlights on my car sometime soon, but my car is pretty dirty so bear with me

You can email Rich at Retrofit@HIDillusionz.com for quotes, or call him at his cell on the website

Last edited by ELL Y; 03-16-09 at 09:47 PM.
Old 03-16-09, 09:38 PM
jns350
Lexus Champion

I've seen Mahcah's post when he retrofit his HID's...I know he dropped some serious coin to get a superb output!!! But I think he used the RX330 projectors right???...I think the SC430 looks great also....BTW do you mind giving a perspective on cost to achieve this look.
Old 03-16-09, 09:47 PM
ankurman20
Lexus Test Driver

wow... love it
Old 03-16-09, 10:15 PM
Chadley6mt
Driver

Personally i think you just wasted a whole bunch of money and someones time.
my light output beats your aftermarket HID and is just as good as your retrofitted ones. it all boils down to the HID kit you use. and there are come crummy ones. maybe you just got a crummy one.. because i do know for a fact that my HID output its pretty sharp like your retrofitted ones.. i also have better output then most bmws audi and benzes however there light pattern is different. and i still have better output then people with Stock HID lexus'.

just my $0.02USD..
Old 03-16-09, 10:19 PM
ExTrEmE99
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Our stock 2IS projectors do not give off that good of a cut off line as well as output. Its been well known that our cars doesnt have the best lens and projector.. Which is why a lot of people use hid fogs(other then it looking really nice) it really does help with our crappy output. I have the stock lexus HID system with AFS and i would love to the retrofit if i knew someone local and the price was cheap

Very nice looking Elly! thats one crazy blue looking cut off, Your using stock 4300 bulbs right?
Old 03-16-09, 10:19 PM
suicidesam
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Chadley6mt
my light output beats your aftermarket HID and is just as good as your retrofitted ones. it all boils down to the HID kit you use. and there are come crummy ones. maybe you just got a crummy one.. because i do know for a fact that my HID output its pretty sharp like your retrofitted ones.. i also have better output then most bmws audi and benzes however there light pattern is different. and i still have better output then people with Stock HID lexus'.

just my $0.02USD..

Old 03-16-09, 10:20 PM
chrispy

Received 78 Likes on 37 Posts

just my $0.02USD..
LOL are you serious? If not, nice troll attempt.
Old 03-16-09, 10:26 PM
Kaydee
Hacked CL to become a Mod

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

just my $0.02USD..
you only think you have better illumination
Old 03-16-09, 10:51 PM
Tchan1
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Damn ELL Y finally got your lights done. Nice looking projectors and bezel! Haha I think you, mah cah and I have the same looking headlights cause of the ace flanges, it's just that you have yours blacked out. So how is the output running 55w ballasts? Is it noticeably brighter? I didn't know that the SC430s can handle the higher temp. If it's really worth it and nothing happens to the projectors I might get me a set of the 55w ballasts too.

Quick Reply: Why I can never go back to HID kits in halogen projectors... Pic Intensive