IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Non-Staggered set up ok on a RWD?

Old 03-15-09, 05:45 PM
RoccoFiles
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Non-Staggered set up ok on a RWD?

Just curious if there's any bad side effects to running a non-staggered wheel/tire set up on a '07 IS250 RWD? I seen a set of wheels I was interested in locally, but they're 19x8.5, +42 front and rear. I thinking of running 20mm spacers in the rear anways to make them more flush, but just wanted to ask first if I should or not. Or is the only difference visually (like the size of the lip, width, etc....) Thanks in advance and sorry for the noob question.
Old 03-15-09, 06:11 PM
mvlbr
Lead Lap

No problem as long as you're running at least a 255/35R19 tire on the rear.
Old 03-15-09, 06:20 PM
rule1223
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by RoccoFiles
Just curious if there's any bad side effects to running a non-staggered wheel/tire set up on a '07 IS250 RWD? I seen a set of wheels I was interested in locally, but they're 19x8.5, +42 front and rear. I thinking of running 20mm spacers in the rear anways to make them more flush, but just wanted to ask first if I should or not. Or is the only difference visually (like the size of the lip, width, etc....) Thanks in advance and sorry for the noob question.

why would you run non-staggered 19"s? that doesn't make any sense.
Old 03-15-09, 08:07 PM
RoccoFiles
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mvlbr
No problem as long as you're running at least a 255/35R19 tire on the rear.
I'm not trying to be a smart a-s, but why would it matter what tire size you're running? Is it going to affect the TPMS system or speedo?
Originally Posted by rule1223
why would you run non-staggered 19"s? that doesn't make any sense.
Can you explain why it "doesn't make any sense." Again, I'm not trying to be smart, but does it actually harm the car in any way or throw off some sort of sensor, or is it just not something that YOU would not do? If it's going to negatively disrupt the way the car runs, then that's all you'd have to say. But if it's just not the "norm" then that's another story. I know it's not what 99% of the people do here, but I'm just trying to find out if it's bad for the RWD system or something.
Old 03-15-09, 08:33 PM
juice14
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think that should be fine. if those are the wheels you like, then go for it. And I was about to tell you that you will definitely need spacers, other wise it would look super tucked in the back.
I suggest 235/35/19 on the front and 255/35/19 on the rear that will give you a larger tire on the back so the car sits kinda like stock
you will definitely need to lower your car though
Old 03-15-09, 09:12 PM
pollvx
Driver School Candidate

Remember that the rear tire/wheel combo is about 3/4" taller than the front. If you went with the same width (and aspect ratio) on all four tires you just have to keep in mind that the rear may be shorter than factory, causing a slight change in speedometer reading.

The advantage to having the same size tire on all four corners is tire rotation. Something a lot of you forget you can do when you have the same size tires (directional or not).
Old 03-15-09, 10:08 PM
mvlbr
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by RoccoFiles
I'm not trying to be a smart a-s, but why would it matter what tire size you're running? Is it going to affect the TPMS system or speedo?

It affects your speedometer not the TPMS but it's your car so do whatever the hell you want and don't ask anyone here for any info since you pretty much know everything already
Old 03-15-09, 10:17 PM
PMok
Lead Lap

the engineers at Toyota/Lexus put staggered tire sizes on the RWD car for a reason. Wider tires in the back to have better traction and prevent oversteer when cornering at the limit of the tires' adhesion, i.e. in an emergency swerve or at high speed performance driving. Narrower tires up front promote more understeer, which for most passenger cars is safer.

Short answer, if you put same width tires on all 4 wheels on a RWD car, you may increase the risk of spinning out unexpectedly if you take a turn too fast. If you are not channeling Ayrton Senna or Dale Earnhardt Sr. everytime you drive, you would be well served to at least put different width tires on front and back, even if you run same size wheels.
Old 03-15-09, 11:13 PM
dangy
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go staggered.....
Old 03-15-09, 11:25 PM
RoccoFiles
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by pollvx
Remember that the rear tire/wheel combo is about 3/4" taller than the front. If you went with the same width (and aspect ratio) on all four tires you just have to keep in mind that the rear may be shorter than factory, causing a slight change in speedometer reading.

The advantage to having the same size tire on all four corners is tire rotation. Something a lot of you forget you can do when you have the same size tires (directional or not).
Originally Posted by PMok
the engineers at Toyota/Lexus put staggered tire sizes on the RWD car for a reason. Wider tires in the back to have better traction and prevent oversteer when cornering at the limit of the tires' adhesion, i.e. in an emergency swerve or at high speed performance driving. Narrower tires up front promote more understeer, which for most passenger cars is safer.

Short answer, if you put same width tires on all 4 wheels on a RWD car, you may increase the risk of spinning out unexpectedly if you take a turn too fast. If you are not channeling Ayrton Senna or Dale Earnhardt Sr. everytime you drive, you would be well served to at least put different width tires on front and back, even if you run same size wheels.
Thanks for taking the time to explain the reasoning behind your replies. That's really what I wanted to hear.........facts so I can understand.

Originally Posted by mvlbr
It affects your speedometer not the TPMS but it's your car so do whatever the hell you want and don't ask anyone here for any info since you pretty much know everything already
Sorry if you took the response the wrong way, but like I said, I wanted to understand why it was ok or not ok. I'd rather know why and learn how it would affect the car, know what I mean?
Old 03-16-09, 12:02 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 152 Likes on 90 Posts

I would think it would affect handling in a negative way. The IS was designed to corner a certain way with the staggered tires. W/o that set-up, you are disrupting the balance of the car and things could get hairy in an emergency. I wouldn't want those surprises if it were me. I would rather have seen Lexus dail up the suspension without making the staggered tires a feature. When the front half of the car is viewed, all one sees is the dinky, funny car tires.
Old 03-16-09, 12:34 AM
RoccoFiles
Driver School Candidate

Would running staggered tires make it any better? Maybe a 225/35 front and 245/35 rears?
Old 03-16-09, 09:51 AM
RoccoFiles
Driver School Candidate

Or if not, would running those spacers in the rear, effectively making them a 19x8.5, +22 offset make a difference since it would "appear" to make the rear wider since both wheels would sit farther out? Or am I just thinking too hard again?! hahaha
Old 03-16-09, 02:11 PM
PMok
Lead Lap

yes, running 225 front and 245 back would be fine. I did a similar thing on my old MR2 with 205F and 225R all on same width rims.

putting a spacer on your rears will give you a wider stance but the rim width determines what width tire you can put on... the 8.5 width should fit 245 just fine on back.
Old 03-16-09, 02:34 PM
RoccoFiles
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by PMok
yes, running 225 front and 245 back would be fine. I did a similar thing on my old MR2 with 205F and 225R all on same width rims.

putting a spacer on your rears will give you a wider stance but the rim width determines what width tire you can put on... the 8.5 width should fit 245 just fine on back.
I think that should answer all my questions. Thanks again for all the replies and explanations.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Non-Staggered set up ok on a RWD?