IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Is there a fix for the vibrating inside RV mirror

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-09, 03:01 PM
DrGP
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is there a fix for the vibrating inside RV mirror

My inside RV mirror vibrates excessively only when the sunroof is open.It is very annoying to me. At my 100 mile check up I pointed out this problem to the service writer, and was told that the mirror on my car was actually the upgraded part that was now being used as OEM. I was told that there was no other remedy for the problem. I know that there was a TSB for the 07 cars. I took a copy of the TSB along with me for the service. Mine is an 08. Anyone have a recommendation
Old 03-08-09, 03:19 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

There's a lot on this topic. A search would help you. To sum it up, they all suck but some replacement ones seem to be slightly better. I had my '08 done even though the TSB didn't cover it. If you complain enough or find a willing dealer, it can be done. I hope the next IS addresses this issue. It makes me think the engineers never bothered speed-testing the vehicle with the sunroof open.
Old 03-08-09, 03:37 PM
DrGP
Driver

I wonder if the Camry suffers from the same problem. I have found that if I hold the mirror where joins to the bracket attached to the windshieldw, the vibration is much less. It puzzels me that Lexus can't come up with a legitimate fix for the problem.
Old 03-08-09, 03:43 PM
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

It's just stupid that we've been complaining about this minor issue since 2006, and Lexus doesn't seem at all interested in addressing it. Why not just take one of the non-vibrating mirrors from ANY of the other cars in the product line and use that one?

I guess this is the same sort of cost-cutting measure that has caused so many rattles to happen in the 06+ Lexus vehicles. They're going to lose customers over a few dimes. Penny wise and pound foolish...
Old 03-08-09, 07:05 PM
mikes rx
I use "..." ....... a lot

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think the problem has to do with the wind turbulence inside the car, NOT the mirror itself......similar to how you are beaten with wind on the side of your face if the windows are down.

But, that's just my opinion.
Old 04-13-09, 11:38 AM
fredw1
Intermediate

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by mikes rx
I think the problem has to do with the wind turbulence inside the car, NOT the mirror itself......similar to how you are beaten with wind on the side of your face if the windows are down.

I'm not sure that's the case in my car. I don't feel much wind inside when the windows are closed, or either side's front window is open an inch or so.
Old 04-13-09, 11:47 AM
vtrusty
Rookie

don't mean to hijack this thread, but my car has some crazy internal sounds. i did a search and found a quote from someone that hit it right on the dot.

"it sounds like my car is hit by a rock when im driving down the road"

this is exactly what i've been thinking was happening, i hear a "pop" that sounds like a rock just hit the windshield. i couldn't find a recall number for this, can anyone else chime in? im about to get my fuel rail recall done and figured i could have them fix this while it is in there. sounds like its coming from somewhere between the window and the middle/center of the dash.

i haven't had much trouble with any rattling issues, but just this one crazy sound that is bugging the hell out of me.
Old 07-29-09, 08:58 AM
fredw1
Intermediate

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

My RV mirror vibration goes away after I close the moonroof about 1/4 or 1/3 of the way (2/3 to 3/4 open). This is either reducing turbulence or adding stability to to vibrating roof, but my vote is for the latter.

Last edited by fredw1; 07-31-09 at 08:35 AM.
Old 07-29-09, 03:45 PM
Lexus_girl
Pole Position

Angry

Glad I read this thread because my 07 RV mirror has been bugging me since day one. The radio sets it off as well as having the sunroof open. Didn't know about the TSB, but you are all saying that it's not really a fix anyway.....very disappointed.
Old 07-29-09, 08:01 PM
Keppie
Lead Lap

I took delivery of an 09 in 11/08. A month later I took the car in for a few things and mirror shaking with sunroof open was on the list. The service advisor said my complaint was legitimate so they took a few more 09's for a ride to see if my car was unique and it wasn't. All three 09's had the same issue. There were no TSB's on 09's so there was no remedy. Since that day I have not opened the sunroof. Doesn't matter if windows are opened or closed, the RV mirror shakes and it sucks.

Except for this issue I have been very happy with the car.
Old 07-29-09, 08:13 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb TSB's are now called LSB's

New LSB notice is out folks!!!

L-SB-0072-09 ; 19 June 2009

Enjoy..

Joe Z

Last edited by Joe Z; 08-03-09 at 08:21 AM.
Old 07-31-09, 11:26 PM
J250
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Joe Z
New TSB folks!!!

Enjoy..

Joe Z
So are they replacing ours with the IS-C's rear view mirror? And lol sorry for dumb question but what does TSB stand for anyway?
Old 08-01-09, 01:19 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Joe Z
New TSB folks!!!

Enjoy..

Joe Z
Whoa! What is this one about? Details please! I've already had mine replaced last year and it didn't help. Where can I look this one up?
THANKS!
Old 08-01-09, 01:24 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mikes rx

I thought much about the source too, and I am sure it has something to do with it. The only thing I do NOT get in my car is that awful drumming sound at 40 mph with the sunroof open that I got in my A4. That tells me the turbulance isn't much a problem in the IS. I concluded it's more in the mirror mounting system. Even with all windows and roof closed, it will still vibrate with the stereo on a mid level. I hope this new TSB is something more effective.
Old 08-01-09, 07:11 AM
vuiskool
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

More info about the rear view mirror tsib pleasee!

Quick Reply: Is there a fix for the vibrating inside RV mirror