IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

HID bi-adaptive

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-09, 03:39 PM
doki
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HID bi-adaptive

I just got my 09" which comes with HID bi-adaptive. Problem is i don't see it move. It stays still. I read through the manual and i had to turn off some switch to get the HID on but still no difference. Is this normal? My friend's ES you can totally see the lights move once you move the steering wheel.

Last edited by doki; 02-27-09 at 04:20 PM.
Old 02-27-09, 03:43 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Is the AFS light on your dash. Meaning is it lighting up when you start the car or flashing for any reason? I can tell with my GS and also on the IS. Maybe there is something wrong or its not a feature in your car??
Old 02-27-09, 03:50 PM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Received 268 Likes on 216 Posts

There is a **** on the left side next to steering wheel where you adjust the tire pressure initialization and speed limiter light, there's an option to turn off/on AFS light. There is no dash indicator on the dash whether it's on or not. Another way to tell is turn on headlight and start engine in your garage, you can see the headlights move up and down once.
Old 02-27-09, 03:58 PM
ExTrEmE99
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Be aware that a large amount of 09 IS's do NOT have the afs/hid options. they did that to bring the msrp price down..
Old 02-27-09, 04:02 PM
doki
Rookie

for sure i have HID . I have turned off the AFS according to manual book but i don't see the lights move when i steer the wheel .
Old 02-27-09, 04:06 PM
ExTrEmE99
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Your car needs to be in motion if you want to see the projectors move left to right etc.. I tried your car has to be in motion to watch the projectors move. But your headlights should go up and down upon starting your car on with the headlights.

Old 02-27-09, 04:08 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

but there are no lights or anything on your dash? If I recall its on the far right. I had it flash once on the IS, cant recall why, but it reset when I turned the car off and back on. Go down a really dark street and try to turn it on and off and see what you get if the 09 model allows you to do this.

They move more when you go left then when you go right. Its possible your lights are pointing to high so you dont see them move??
Old 02-27-09, 04:15 PM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Received 268 Likes on 216 Posts

Originally Posted by passnu2
but there are no lights or anything on your dash? If I recall its on the far right. I had it flash once on the IS, cant recall why, but it reset when I turned the car off and back on. Go down a really dark street and try to turn it on and off and see what you get if the 09 model allows you to do this.

They move more when you go left then when you go right. Its possible your lights are pointing to high so you dont see them move??
Which year is your IS? My 08 IS does not show any dash light. The only way to see is setting the **** to have AFS on or off. There is no dash light.
Old 02-27-09, 04:19 PM
doki
Rookie

Originally Posted by ExTrEmE99
Your car needs to be in motion if you want to see the projectors move left to right etc.. I tried your car has to be in motion to watch the projectors move. But your headlights should go up and down upon starting your car on with the headlights.

Your right the car needs to be in motion. I didn't get a chance to drive out on the streets to test this yet. Will do that when i get home.
Old 02-27-09, 04:23 PM
T4styPh0
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dojoman
Which year is your IS? My 08 IS does not show any dash light. The only way to see is setting the **** to have AFS on or off. There is no dash light.
You should have an "AFS OFF" light on the bottom left corner of the dash if you turn the afs feature off.

Last edited by T4styPh0; 02-27-09 at 04:24 PM. Reason: added the word left
Old 02-27-09, 04:58 PM
acefalcon2
Lexus Champion

09's definitely have that option.... and you should turn it on not off for it to move.... and it moves depending on the angle of your steering wheel... the more you turn... the more likely you're able to notice it.....
Old 02-27-09, 05:03 PM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

just hit your favorite most twisty road at nite, you'll see it turn with the AFS ON.
Old 02-27-09, 05:06 PM
09 LEX 250
Driver

Originally Posted by doki
I just got my 09" which comes with HID bi-adaptive. Problem is i don't see it move. It stays still. I read through the manual and i had to turn off some switch to get the HID on but still no difference. Is this normal? My friend's ES you can totally see the lights move once you move the steering wheel.
if you want to see the headlights move up and down alot!! aim your car down a street when its dark..turn the car completely off then switch your headlights to auto.youl see them hit the floor then raise up.this is the only way to see your headlights move very much...the afs is there..when you turn to the left (only) you can easily see it turn as you are moving into a turn...the afs will not work while sitting still. hope this helps
Old 02-27-09, 06:13 PM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by doki
for sure i have HID . I have turned off the AFS according to manual book but i don't see the lights move when i steer the wheel .
Turned off? Don't you mean on?

Is the car in motion when you are checking? it doesn't work when the car is stopped.
Old 02-27-09, 06:39 PM
L-S-D
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

lets clerify this up ... in order for your headlights to move...
AFS ON OR OFF??

Quick Reply: HID bi-adaptive