IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Is this covered under warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-10, 10:21 AM
Micaiah

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Just got mine done. In the meantime I was eyeballin' an ISF in USB. Would rather have the white, though. They are going to call me back with a trade in value on Micaiah.

Last edited by Micaiah; 12-01-10 at 10:32 AM.
Old 12-01-10, 02:09 PM
iRock
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mines is a bit dis colored... maybe its gonna crack up in the future... ill have to keep an eye on it
Old 12-01-10, 02:27 PM
brociouz
Uber 1337 Moderator

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Siu, did the dealership say if they replaced it with a new kind of rubber, or is it the same stuff?
Old 12-01-10, 02:46 PM
Micaiah

I didn't ask. They had the part already there, that's why I didn't have to wait. Remember, this dealership has never heard of this so I don't think they would even know. I'm just wondering why they happened to have the part already in stock there.
Old 03-21-11, 02:12 PM
intellis
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am trying to get mine done too, I am on the phone with Lexus Inc now. Hopefully they can eat the $225 cost for the parts.
Old 03-22-11, 06:05 AM
calvin2376
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm having the exact same issues, just bought my '07 IS350 2 months ago. It's not covered under the original factory warranty anymore but it's covered by CPO and VSA warranties, but one of the excluded items on these policies is clearly stated as "weatherstripping" and "interior and exterior trim", so I would expect the dealer to balk.

Anyone had experience with getting these items fixed on a car out of factory warranty either 1) free of charge from the dealer or 2) under CPO or VSA warranty?

Thanks!
Old 03-22-11, 07:22 AM
Micaiah

FYI the guy was telling me at first that it wasn't covered due to wear and tear and he pointed out that weather stripping was indeed listed on the "not covered" list. But in my case, I pointed out that mine was an indoor car, I showed him the miles since I bought it (under 1,000) and that I had only had it a few months. The original owner had it 9 months and I had it only a few.

He agreed and that's when he pushed with corporate.

Didn't you just buy it recently? It could be that THAT is the reason they are covering it. It's new to you and you shouldn't have to deal with these things already. You're lucky.

Last edited by Micaiah; 03-22-11 at 07:26 AM.
Old 03-23-11, 08:16 PM
intellis
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Micaiah
FYI the guy was telling me at first that it wasn't covered due to wear and tear and he pointed out that weather stripping was indeed listed on the "not covered" list. But in my case, I pointed out that mine was an indoor car, I showed him the miles since I bought it (under 1,000) and that I had only had it a few months. The original owner had it 9 months and I had it only a few.

He agreed and that's when he pushed with corporate.

Didn't you just buy it recently? It could be that THAT is the reason they are covering it. It's new to you and you shouldn't have to deal with these things already. You're lucky.
Good point, I will try that angle.
Old 03-24-11, 07:36 AM
calvin2376
Racer

Found a mini-DIY here: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/5332462-post4.html

In any case, I'm going into the dealer I bought the car from this Saturday to address several issues, one of them being this weatherstripping going bad. My car's an '07 IS350 with 56k, so out of factory warranty but under both CPO and VSA warranties. What I understand from the dealers and reading the forums is that replacement of this windshield molding IS covered by the factory 4 yr/50k warranty but NOT by the CPO/VSA warranties, because weatherstripping and exterior trim are excluded items.

I plan on going in to my dealer armed with as much info as possible. I've printed all the photos on this thread of others having the same issue. I want to make it clear to the dealer (and the area Lexus rep if it gets that far) that this issue is NOT wear and tear and does NOT have to do with how the car is used, it's simply a failure of poor quality materials and workmanship. There are people on here who garage their cars all the time and people who leave their car outside in the winter, all with the same problem.

What I ask is this: if you have this issue, can you provide more pictures? Also, has there ever been a TSIB for this? I need all the ammo I can get.

Thanks!
Old 03-24-11, 07:45 AM
intellis
Pole Position

Originally Posted by calvin2376

What I ask is this: if you have this issue, can you provide more pictures? Also, has there ever been a TSIB for this? I need all the ammo I can get.

Thanks!
You can check out my pics starting at post #19 in this thread.
Old 03-24-11, 09:19 AM
oka
Driver School Candidate

Default trim

[QUOTE=scalum1994;4288350]I recently noticed a few things:

1. The windshield rubber seal has cracked (pic 1). A piece seems to be missing as well on the top of the windshield on the driver's side (pic 2)

2. Part of the rear driver's side window seal appears to be cracking (pic 3).

Will they replace this under warranty if I bring to a dealership?

Thanks.

p.S. sorry for the quality of these pics. they were taken with an iphone.[/QU go to lexus website. live chat or call.that what i did moment ago and they say will replace for free...
Old 03-24-11, 09:21 AM
oka
Driver School Candidate

Default trim

what i did?? go to lexus website.( corporate).call and live chat they say will replace for free.
Old 03-24-11, 09:26 AM
Micaiah

??? You went to Corporate live chat and they said they will cover it? Did you ask to get that in writing to present to your dealer?
Old 03-24-11, 09:48 AM
calvin2376
Racer

Originally Posted by oka
what i did?? go to lexus website.( corporate).call and live chat they say will replace for free.
Yes can you please provide more details? What phone number did you call? What year and mileage is your car? Are you under factory warranty, CPO warranty, or neither? How did they say they would cover it, pay your dealer directly?
Old 03-24-11, 02:11 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 155 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by calvin2376

In any case, I'm going into the dealer I bought the car from this Saturday to address several issues, one of them being this weatherstripping going bad. My car's an '07 IS350 with 56k, so out of factory warranty but under both CPO and VSA warranties. What I understand from the dealers and reading the forums is that replacement of this windshield molding IS covered by the factory 4 yr/50k warranty but NOT by the CPO/VSA warranties, because weatherstripping and exterior trim are excluded items.

I plan on going in to my dealer armed with as much info as possible. I've printed all the photos on this thread of others having the same issue. I want to make it clear to the dealer (and the area Lexus rep if it gets that far) that this issue is NOT wear and tear and does NOT have to do with how the car is used, it's simply a failure of poor quality materials and workmanship. There are people on here who garage their cars all the time and people who leave their car outside in the winter, all with the same problem.

Thanks!
I feel for your situation. It is absolutely not dependant upon how someone takes care of their car. Mine low-mileage 2008 has been garaged since new and I rarely drive in the rain, yet both sides of mine cracked. I was under warranty, so fortunately they repaired them. But there's no way it has anything to do with the driver. A high rate of these cars have the same problem.

Quick Reply: Is this covered under warranty?