IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Windshield cracked - Insurance refuses to put in OEM glass.... help!

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-09, 05:05 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Feirax
Another you might be able to try, is checking with a Lexus Certified Collision center. They claim to use all OEM parts, and will work with your ins. co.
That's not entirely true. Certified Lexus Collision Repair facilities *don't* fix cars, insurance companies do. The shop must repair the vehicle exactly how the insurance company says so, and that includes used (LKQ), aftermarket, or any source the insurance company can get "cheap" parts from. The newer the car, the better the chance your insurance company will foot the bill for OEM parts. Some insurance companies are better than others in this regard. ALL insurance companies state in their contract that they can, and/or will use aftermarket/used parts to repair your car.

CLAUSE: If you are making a claim against someone else’s insurance company for damage done to your own car, you can demand OEM parts, and, by law, they must pay.

Also, keep in mind, most insurance companies, if not ALL insurance companies will waive your deductible for windshield replacement.
Old 02-27-09, 09:56 AM
Lets Drive
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Keith13b
Holy crap! Have you ever had your glass replaced with the low budget glass? Aparently not. It is SOOOO cheap. The glass is wavy and has some slight distortion as well as a slight color hue change; most likely from the different quality in the glass. Unless you absoutly positively have to replace it with the non-oem; don't.

It is well worth the $$ to pay the difference out of pocket for the factory glass. Also think of re-sale value. You will take a depreciation hit with non-oem!
I can't say I've had the same experience, as non-OEM doesn't necessarily mean low quality. I've had my front windshield replaced with an 'aftermarket' piece, and its 110% fine. Outside of the Lexus stamp, there it no noticeable difference, whatsoever. In fact, many car makes use major aftermarket companies to produce their glass, in the first place.

Another point of concern, though, is the job the tech. does when removing and replacing that glass. Once the glass quality matches OEM standards, its important to make sure they remove the old glass properly, and seal the new one so that no wind noise or leaks exist. This was by far a greater concern for me, as opposed to the non-OEM glass which has held up fine with no issues at all, thus far.
Old 02-27-09, 11:29 AM
bullet1
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have never heard of insurance companies waiving the Comp Deductible for a Windshield replacement. Now they usually waive the deductible for Safelite to fix a rock chip in your windshield, but once it moves to replacing the whole thing, the deductible most definitely applies. At least with my experience with my insurance company, and others that I've heard.
Old 02-27-09, 01:57 PM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Originally Posted by bullet1
I have never heard of insurance companies waiving the Comp Deductible for a Windshield replacement. Now they usually waive the deductible for Safelite to fix a rock chip in your windshield, but once it moves to replacing the whole thing, the deductible most definitely applies. At least with my experience with my insurance company, and others that I've heard.
Yep, I live in Florida and I guess it's a state law here that insurance companies must replace windshields (up to 1 per year) with no deductible.
Who knew?
Old 02-27-09, 04:44 PM
tqlla3k
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by IS350jet
Yep, I live in Florida and I guess it's a state law here that insurance companies must replace windshields (up to 1 per year) with no deductible.
Who knew?
Dont get too excited. It just means that you are paying for replacement windshields in advance
Old 02-27-09, 05:40 PM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Originally Posted by tqlla3k
Dont get too excited. It just means that you are paying for replacement windshields in advance
LOL! Our insurance rates here are OUTRAGEOUS!!
Old 02-28-09, 12:55 AM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

well... they came this morning, and guess what i found? They came with PPG glass... after the lady on the phone I was arguing with flat out refused to give me OEM or PPG since my insurance denied it. Guess some of that arguing paid off... anyways. Everything is great except when I press on the top area of the molding on the passenger side it makes a popping sound... also, it does that sometimes when driving over rough road... clips/molding problem maybe? gonna go out to safelight and get it checked out...
Old 02-28-09, 06:27 AM
tqlla3k
Lexus Test Driver

Wait did you go through insurance still?.

As far as the Dash is concerned, there is a TSB for the noises it makes. I just had mine done
Old 02-28-09, 08:29 PM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

No, i didn't go through insurance.... because the cost was lower than my deductible... and no dash noise.. its from the molding when i press on it...
Old 12-12-14, 06:10 PM
austin618
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Broken windshield

Got my windshield broken this week. My jaw dropped when they told me they will pay only 150, after my 250 ded, to replace my windshield. Lexus quoted me close to 1500. If I am gonna suffer, I will make them suffer along with me.

Last edited by austin618; 12-12-14 at 06:18 PM.