IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

DIY Rear GFX (Cutting Method)

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-10, 04:40 AM
T4styPh0
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cupid0210
woow, great write-up man, Im gonna be doing this tommorrow morning. How long did this process take you?
Hmm, I'd say probably around an hour and half. 15 mins of it was me looking at it and scared to drill the first hole in the bumper haha. But after that it was smooth sailing.

Originally Posted by whitecel
awesome job. i thought you could tape it on, but the body shop told me it wasn't going to work with just tape. Was gonna do it myself per these instructions and the ones supplied, but it was already at the shop so I had them do it. Looks fairly easy enough since everything is already marked on where to drill and cut on the stock bumper
If you don't mind me asking how much did the shop charge you for install? I've got someone want me to do it for him but I don't wanna under charge him.
Old 06-01-10, 11:06 AM
cupid0210
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just finished everything in an Hour and half like you said. Thanks a BUNCH for the detailed write-up. Would have paid a shop to do it for about $500. You saved me some mooola!!!
Old 07-05-10, 11:39 PM
obicruz
Driver School Candidate

Thumbs up

Thank you PhoNoodles! I used your COLOR pictures and descriptions against the WEAK Lexus instructions that sometimes combined several steps into one drawing . Although the kit I bought was slightly different (updated) from yours, I would not have been able to complete it without your instructions.

Thanks again!
Old 07-06-10, 02:02 AM
DaNiELx626
Lead Lap

dang nice write up
Old 10-04-10, 08:01 PM
shadowman
Lexus Champion

EDIT: Never Mind. I figured it how.

Last edited by shadowman; 10-04-10 at 08:22 PM.
Old 03-07-11, 06:22 AM
jmhtx
Rookie

Has anyone installed a GFX Rear on a 2011? I am debating between the drill and cut method and the 3M no drill/cut method. Are all of the drill holes on the 2011 rear bumper cover?

Thanks.
Old 03-07-11, 07:20 AM
iRock
Lexus Champion

I would NEVER cut my bumper. Mad props for him doing that. If I were you jmhtx I would stick it on.
Old 03-13-11, 04:51 AM
jmhtx
Rookie

I installed the GFX Rear on my 2011 yesterday. THANKS for these instuctions, they were much more helpful than the supplied instructions.

I ended up doing a hybrid method of installation. I cut exhaust area and drilled the 10 single holes along the bottom of the rear bumpercover and the single top center location hole. An ran into a couple of differences that made a full drill install not possible/difficult and used tape in those locations.

1. Some of the marking locations for the drill holes were missing. There were no marking location for the three drill holes that allow the tabs to be slid into the bumper cover on the corner and near the wheel wells. I removed these tabs and put some 3M tape in place of four tabs. These were the only place that the tape method was used.

2. The second problem was that two pairs of marks were in the wrong location. There are two holes just inboard of the exhaust cutouts. The marks for the lower holes were about two far outboard. I had to test fit and made a couple of test fitted guesses where to drill these holes without these marks.

I think this hybrid solution is the best method for installation of the GFX on the 2011 rear.

I wished I had taked some pics. But I stole these from this thread and made some notes.
Attached Thumbnails DIY Rear GFX (Cutting Method)-gfx-rear.jpg   DIY Rear GFX (Cutting Method)-gfxside.jpg  
Old 03-15-11, 11:24 PM
viprtwo
Driver

i think i'm gonna get the gfx now. thank you!
Old 03-16-11, 12:29 AM
SCWB
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by jmhtx
I installed the GFX Rear on my 2011 yesterday. THANKS for these instuctions, they were much more helpful than the supplied instructions.

I ended up doing a hybrid method of installation. I cut exhaust area and drilled the 10 single holes along the bottom of the rear bumpercover and the single top center location hole. An ran into a couple of differences that made a full drill install not possible/difficult and used tape in those locations.

1. Some of the marking locations for the drill holes were missing. There were no marking location for the three drill holes that allow the tabs to be slid into the bumper cover on the corner and near the wheel wells. I removed these tabs and put some 3M tape in place of four tabs. These were the only place that the tape method was used.

2. The second problem was that two pairs of marks were in the wrong location. There are two holes just inboard of the exhaust cutouts. The marks for the lower holes were about two far outboard. I had to test fit and made a couple of test fitted guesses where to drill these holes without these marks.

I think this hybrid solution is the best method for installation of the GFX on the 2011 rear.

I wished I had taked some pics. But I stole these from this thread and made some notes.
Is it possible that the 2010-2011 rear bumper has its own design of GFX rear lip?
Old 03-16-11, 07:59 AM
ohiois350
Pole Position

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

i think the gfx from 06-08 look better than the newer model IS gfx
Old 03-16-11, 09:12 AM
MashinA
Lexus Champion

just to clarify you DONT HAVE to cut the bumper to install this correct? there is other ways?
Old 03-16-11, 10:39 AM
Silkky
Lead Lap

Great write up and very clean results. I'm too scared to cut and drill so I just used double sided tape. I do have some gaps from the tape not holding up...
Old 03-16-11, 11:18 AM
Deegee
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Excellent write up, I'm glad you took the time to do this cause really these Lexus Instructions suck! I am also going to reference this thread once I decide to fork out the 300$ for my rear Lip.......damn Sewell I need a pkg. deal to come along like they had way back then!
Old 03-17-11, 12:09 AM
bantatua21
Rookie

very detailed instructions.got mine done in 2 hours.save a lot of bucks.thanks and more power.

Quick Reply: DIY Rear GFX (Cutting Method)