IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

List of Recalls (actually TSIB) - Alarming?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-09, 06:45 AM
Jefe's IS
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check most any other car or truck forum and you will find that our TSIB/recalls are minor by comparison.

They wish they had our problems.

Try taking in a diesel truck for bad injectors only to be told that bad fuel caused the failure and you will be paying for the repair when there is a known issue about the injectors.
Old 02-14-09, 09:26 AM
Sodeti
Rookie

Hi Jefe's IS,

Your response had the answer I was curious to know about...

Thanks for posting it, it validates my assumption. I guess I also was having a hard time with people around me questioning that it is a Lexus, so why is it in the shop so often!
Old 02-14-09, 09:37 AM
Jefe's IS
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Sodeti
Hi Jefe's IS,

Your response had the answer I was curious to know about...

Thanks for posting it, it validates my assumption. I guess I also was having a hard time with people around me questioning that it is a Lexus, so why is it in the shop so often!
My response is that Lexus is willing to address all issues including minor annoyances not related to reliability or normal use. Not only are they willing to address these minor issues they are willing to issue TSIBs for other owners to make sure all owners are completely satisfied with their purchase and to maintain their position as THE luxory car manufacturer all others strive to be.
Old 02-14-09, 02:03 PM
AM1
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i agree with ^^^^. when i had my old rx330 they even had a TSIB for carpet clips. they could have just ignored it, but still had it fixed.
Old 02-14-09, 02:24 PM
L-Tech1446
Rookie

Originally Posted by Jefe's IS
My response is that Lexus is willing to address all issues including minor annoyances not related to reliability or normal use. Not only are they willing to address these minor issues they are willing to issue TSIBs for other owners to make sure all owners are completely satisfied with their purchase and to maintain their position as THE luxory car manufacturer all others strive to be.

Well said!!.....Now the Fuel rail/EPS steering rack/and Rear caliper dust boot covers are all SSC/Saftey Recalls and if your car is one of the ones infected you should bring the car to the dealer and have whichever ones you need, most of the 06's need all 3/07-08 usually just the direct injection fuel rails. The IS/GS/LS and RX400h(<just eps rack) are the vehicles with the capaigns. Call your dealer and see if you need any of them done. most of you should be getting letters soon.

I wouldnt say lexus quality has gone down at all, there are just switching to a whole different motor/trans setup and the first few years there gonna have there flaws, but hey they have come out with a recall or sb to fix all there my bads haha
Old 02-26-09, 08:03 PM
Sodeti
Rookie

Update:
Just completed 3 campaign items; steering stiffness, rear brake caliper issue and fuel lines. They also put in a second attempt at fixing the dash rattle.

Conclusion; The dash rattle seems to have been repaired, thank god! The steering feels about the same, but I couldnt really tell the difference before the fix...no comments on the brakes or fuel lines.

I hope this helps those that are due for these fixes...
Old 02-27-09, 01:07 AM
SGMIS3
Pole Position

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
Those are NOT recalls.

Those are Service bulletins, which are fixes to common complaints.

If you don't have those problems, then you're o.k.

However, if it is a true concern then get it fixed.

Some people want to change their rear view mirrors when they don't shake, or change their dusty brake pads even if they never wash their cars.
Actually, the steering wheel problem, fuel pipe, and rear caliper bolts are actually recalls. Notices have been sent to all affecting vehicles and almost all 2006 -2007 are on the list.
Old 02-27-09, 01:11 AM
cspec
Lexus Champion

I just did my recall... Didn't notice a difference but at least they washed my car... Vancouver winters have not given me a proper chance to wash my car.
Old 02-27-09, 04:07 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Jefe's IS
Check most any other car or truck forum and you will find that our TSIB/recalls are minor by comparison.

They wish they had our problems.

Try taking in a diesel truck for bad injectors only to be told that bad fuel caused the failure and you will be paying for the repair when there is a known issue about the injectors.
For Lexus, in general, yes, that is correct, but not for the model specific ISX250. As a matter of fact, I can't recall any manufacturer or any model of car that has had so many recalls in such a short period of time. It's a sad day when one of Lexus's models ends up with more recalls than nearly any car in history. I agree with the OP. The recalls on the IS are alarming, to say the least. Still, Lexus stands behind their products and takes care of their customers.

Last edited by IS350jet; 02-27-09 at 04:11 AM.
Old 02-27-09, 04:18 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by IS350jet
For Lexus, in general, yes, that is correct, but not for the model specific ISX250. As a matter of fact, I can't recall any manufacturer or any model of car that has had so many recalls in such a short period of time. It's a sad day when one of Lexus's models ends up with more recalls than nearly any car in history. I agree with the OP. The recalls on the IS are alarming, to say the least. Still, Lexus stands behind their products and takes care of their customers.
There's 3 actual recalls.

That's nowhere -close- to "any car in history"

Check out the Ford Focus sometime.

And for our car it's stuff like "rear brakes might make a little noise"

For the Focus it was stuff like "Suspension might collapse while driving"
Old 02-27-09, 06:11 AM
Jefe's IS
Pole Position

Old 02-27-09, 06:16 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Kurtz
There's 3 actual recalls.

That's nowhere -close- to "any car in history"

Check out the Ford Focus sometime.

And for our car it's stuff like "rear brakes might make a little noise"

For the Focus it was stuff like "Suspension might collapse while driving"
It's actually 4.

1. Fuel pipe.
2. Fuel rail.
3. Steering rack.
4. Rear brake dust boots.

And, I didn't say it was *THE* worst in history. It does, however, rank right up there. And no, the Ford Focus does not currently have 4 or more recalls going.
Old 02-27-09, 07:30 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

It's actually 4.

1. Fuel pipe.
2. Fuel rail.
3. Steering rack.
4. Rear brake dust boots.

And, I didn't say it was *THE* worst in history. It does, however, rank right up there. And no, the Ford Focus does not currently have 4 or more recalls going.

Because the Focus is an old model at this point.

However, it's had a LOT more than 4 in its history was the point you missed.

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news02/ford_focus.html

that's a 2002 article mentioning the -nine- recalls it had already had, with 5 more under investigation.

And again these were things like "wheels might fall off while driving"

The 2000 model focus was the most recalled of the years, with -15- total recalls by now based on a more recent source:

http://www.mycarstats.com/safetystat...entTab=RECALLS

The 2001 model I only found -11- recalls for, so I guess that's an improvement.

But seriously, 4 isn't even remotely close to "most in history"

I think you grossly underestimate how common a couple of recalls are for any given vehicle.

In 2008 for example there were 642 separate recall campaigns for motor vehicles.

The 2006 Lexus IS isn't even "most recalled" just for its own model year.

In 2006 the Dodge Ram had 7 recalls, the Durango had 6, and a bunch of other vehicles all had 4 including the Civic, Silverado, Sierra, Sonata, Liberty, Landrover LR3, and Range Rover Sport... and those are from an early 07 article so they may have more by now.

Last edited by Kurtz; 02-27-09 at 07:39 AM.
Old 02-27-09, 08:11 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Kurtz
Because the Focus is an old model at this point.

However, it's had a LOT more than 4 in its history was the point you missed.

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news02/ford_focus.html

that's a 2002 article mentioning the -nine- recalls it had already had, with 5 more under investigation.

And again these were things like "wheels might fall off while driving"

The 2000 model focus was the most recalled of the years, with -15- total recalls by now based on a more recent source:

http://www.mycarstats.com/safetystat...entTab=RECALLS

The 2001 model I only found -11- recalls for, so I guess that's an improvement.

But seriously, 4 isn't even remotely close to "most in history"

I think you grossly underestimate how common a couple of recalls are for any given vehicle.

In 2008 for example there were 642 separate recall campaigns for motor vehicles.

The 2006 Lexus IS isn't even "most recalled" just for its own model year.

In 2006 the Dodge Ram had 7 recalls, the Durango had 6, and a bunch of other vehicles all had 4 including the Civic, Silverado, Sierra, Sonata, Liberty, Landrover LR3, and Range Rover Sport... and those are from an early 07 article so they may have more by now.
Ok, I gotcha! I guess I was slightly misinterpreted, which is my fault. What I neglected to mention was that the IS recalls, aside from the fuel pipe, were all issued at the **same time**. That's the part I find alarming.
Old 02-27-09, 08:20 AM
Sodeti
Rookie

To clarify one thing...I am concerned about the number of recalls, but more importantly I am more concerned about the items being recalled. In general these items appear to be things that are engineered for all cars (not a new technology) ie. Fuel lines, brakes, steering...sure they are fixed now, but who was the engineer that designed these parts for a company that to me appears to avoid any oversight in its design. There is a video on Youtube that shows the IS being built, it looks pretty impressive, but it's all discredited when you actually experience having to get work done (not the quality, just the reasons for being at the dealership).

Also, to the guys above, I think it would be a better comparison to hold a BMW, Mercedes and some other luxury brand to the level of accountability as Lexus. I dont see comparing a focus to this issue...

Overall, I am satisfied that they handled it without giving me a hard time, so that is a big plus for owning a lexus.

ps I sometimes joke with the dealership 'so you guys are still on the PURSUIT of perfection, huh!'...

Quick Reply: List of Recalls (actually TSIB) - Alarming?